Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zero-G's season in Chamonix – a Q&A

Poster: A snowHead
Another snowHead PMd me today with some questions about my season. So, as a different take on the usual trip report I thought I'd post his questions and my answers.

There may still be four weeks left of the lift-served season (and more if you're fit enough to skin several thousand metres of vertical) but I will most probably be returning to London on Sunday, so this is my final week. I packed my excess luggage this evening and felt a little emotional about leaving, which came as a surprise!

What's the best thing you've learned about this sport of skiing?
That it's an adventure and the bravest ski the best lines. In other words, you need big balls Toofy Grin

What's the best thing you've learned about yourself over the winter?
That I can rationalise away fear or use banter to allay/delay the fear enough to get me through the scary parts. It has, however, taken the best part of a season to achieve this nirvana, with the most progress happening in the past few weeks. Also, I have learned that I have a great capacity for enduring physical pain… I will put up with a lot of pain in order to continue skiing. I am a sick puppy Madeye-Smiley

Is there major testosterone and teeth grinding competitiveness on who did what? All the time? Everywhere? Or on who plans to do what next?
There is good natured competitiveness. I think it's healthy though, it motivates and inspires you to do more and go bigger. I was pleasantly surprised to find that people are willing to share beta on good spots and good snow if they know you. Otherwise they can be pretty vague, which is perfectly understandable because there are so many people all vying for powder.

Do you get dudes running into a bar going "I did the Aiguille de Peepee on one ski, reading a book and with one hand tied behind my back!!!"
Laughing Those types do exist (I've seen/heard some guys who were like that to some degree but never interacted with them) but my impression is that they were posers.
Make no mistake, there is a lot of bullshitting and big-upping going on but the genuinely awesome, hardcore skiers and mountaineers I met are mostly humble and self-effacing (perhaps it's something to do with facing your own fear or mortality on a regular basis).
Yes, there are some big egos – and rightly so – but they are pretty down-to-earth considering. However, I will say that they can get quite amped after successfully completing some crazy descent and can, understandably, be a tad boisterous as a result but in a good way (I've not seen them be obnoxious about it but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen).
The thing about Cham is that no matter how good you think you are, or how rad, there is always someone better and radder and going more extreme than you Toofy Grin

Did you get to hang out with some of those "name" extreme dudes?
I did. Normal people like the rest of us. Just with superhuman skiing skills. And did I mention the big balls? snowHead
Oh, and most of them are tiny! I am a slim 5'5" woman and those guys are mostly not much bigger than me, which was a surprise.

Have you grown a beard, a deep voice and do you say "Dude" every second word?
Despite the tranny rumours started by admin on the 2012 off piste bash, it is not possible for me to grow a beard without hormone therapy! I will, however, admit to saying "dude" sometimes but I think that only started when I started skiing on fat skis wink

Has your skiing improved outtasight? What single thing have you most improved on?
My skiing has improved immensely in every way but I still have an incredibly long way to go. So many things have improved but I would say that the single most important improvement has been separation between the legs and the rest of my body. That and correct pole-planting (which improves body position/balance when skiing down steeps). I'm still not entirely proficient in deep powder – because I haven't skied enough of it – but at least I don't faceplant all the time like I used to snowHead The season's improvement has come from 6 private lessons plus coaching from another, very generous, snowHead (you know who you are and I am indebted to you), lots and lots of practise of drills and skiing with people who are far better and more fearless than me.
What most of you don't know is that when I arrived here at the start of the season, I still had reduced nerve function in one leg from a spinal injury from two seasons ago. No amount of physio was getting me past the the final stage of improvement (we are talking about two years of intensive daily physio plus swimming and pilates). My physiotherapist agreed that a good few months of solid skiing could be the answer because skiing requires me to use those muscles that were affected by the reduced nerve function. I would say that I arrived here with about 80-85% nerve function in that leg and that I'm now almost 100%. So, a good result.

What single thing/day caused you to say "Wow x 10! Fook me! I'm blessed! I can die now cos I'm happy. " during the season?
That would be Easter Sunday. After a morning skiing in thick fog and zero visibility in sometimes steep, treed terrain of variable snow, the sun came out and the fog completely cleared at lunch time to reveal an entire domain of meringue-smooth, fresh, fluffy, untracked powder. I have never seen anything like it and, in Cham, it's like witnessing the second coming! We skied some easier pitches and then laid fresh tracks on a steep off piste pitch at an amazingly high speed (for me) and without falling once. At the end, I thought my heart was going to burst right out of my chest! I was completely amped afterwards, even late into that night when I was downing tequilas and getting jiggy on the dance floor. I think about it (skiing that pitch, that is) now and still get goosebumps.

Would you do a whole season again?
Hmmm… this is a toughie. While I have loved the skiing, it's the hours around the skiing that I have struggled with. There is not much to do in the evenings other than go to bars and restaurants, which quickly grows tired. I have missed the mental and cultural stimulation that my life in London affords me. I would probably do a season again if I was going with a group of stimulating friends but I wouldn't do it again alone. There were some weeks when I went several days without talking to anyone other than the lifties (who all call me l'Afrique du Sud, btw). I was never lonely, it was just boring not having that human interaction sometimes. I am actually quite shy (believe it or not) and don't tend to strike up conversations on the chairlifts or in bars; visiting friends and meeting up with other snowHeads kept me sane. And the boys at Sole Boot Lab – I enjoyed their banter (and their bootfitting skills, obviously).

Did it get a bit claustrophobic?
Never. Chamonix is a sizeable town with spectacularly large mountains. I think it would be impossible to feel claustrophobic here. When you're up on the mountains, you can see for great distances if you go high enough, and you feel like you are on top of the world and the only human being alive. It's incredible!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you had such a good time!!

I totally get the 'nothing to do but ski or drink' thing, one of the reasons I like Innsbruck so much. I guess on the social side, that's the problem with being in such a large resort and not working (instant group of friends). Maybe a smaller resort, with more of a seasonnaire community/you all live in each other's pockets would be better on that front... but then there's even less to do in the evenings.

If you do do another season, would you go back to Cham, or try somewhere else?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, great Q&A, very adventurous going on your own, and impressive as you were carrying an injury. thanks for reporting
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zero-G, v interesting. Admittedly I was skiing at a different level (ie I was a complete beginner) and I was 'working' as a resort rep, but I couldn't wait to get back to London after a season in Verbier. I hated the social side of it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did you have a drink with under a new name? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you know they named a shop after you? Down the end of town towards that posh wine shop? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Here it is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, I will definitely return to Cham for a season (if I can come with friends) but want to do Japan first. If the town was smaller, I think it would have been difficult.

Pedantica, in London I rarely go to bars, so have seen far more bar fly action here. While that's not my preferred form of social activity, I haven't hated it. I am, however, looking forward to some culture!

8611, woo, infamy at last! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, I should pop into the shop and grab one of their stickers for my skis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tell us about the Norwegians Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill, they were young and very pale. That's all I'm saying Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zero-G, and we didn't have a beer, and there are weeks to go yet! Sad

I am mot impressed by your Easter Sunday. Ours was much less exciting. Just shows you what seasonpassitis can do!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G wrote:
At the end, I thought my heart was going to burst right out of my chest! I was completely amped afterwards, even late into that night when I was downing tequilas and getting jiggy on the dance floor. I think about it (skiing that pitch, that is) now and still get goosebumps.

THIS.....is why you will love Japan Smile

Great to meet up with you in Feb if only for a short time. Japan next Jan???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, sounds like a great experience. Your skiing improved immensely... how about your French? Are you still (unintentionally?!) making indecent proposals to French men over lunch? Sounds like you need to start learning Japanese, now, anyway!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds awesome - well done my dear Very Happy
ski holidays
We'll miss you too! You've been lovely and always in good humor, you, Farmer Barleymow and Minature Scottsbloke are amongst some of our favourite clients, Snowheads can be normal functional members of the human race it would appear! xx
ski holidays
Zero-G, after Cham, you should also do La Grave some day*, many people prefer LG after they "tire" of the whole Cham thing, but does tend to be an age thing.......... you'll get there wink

Still waiting for Spring here...........
latest report
I just speed read through all that and picked up on .....

Big balls
hardcore
rad ... and radder
hormone therapy
separation between the legs
meringue-smooth, fresh, fluffy
witnessing the second coming
stimulation
human interaction
kept me sane
top of the world
incredible!

....... which I think sums it up, thanks for sharing. Toofy Grin
latest report
DB, You could edit the FT into an innuendo filled smutty red-top rolling eyes nice one Laughing
snow conditions
Zero-G, Sounds like you had an amazing season Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Good on ya. I know what you mean about the town's single minded cultural opportunities but I bet you skied so many of the areas I only looked at from afar.
snow report
Is it possible to do a brief resumé of how the finances worked?
snow report
Anyway she's underplaying the significant local culture she did enjoy including the local tribal drumming council and the agit-rap freeform poetry collective.

Available in the noisy section of the ice rink.
latest report
DB, Laughing

pam w, I posted a breakdown on another thread earlier in the season. Will see if I can dig it out.
snow report
fatbob, that was actually a brilliant evening! I am now a staunch supporter of the Cham ice hockey team. Mmm.... chamois! wink
latest report
All that and not a word about accommodation, probably the first thing on the mind of most potential saisonniers!!
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Minature Scottsbloke

are you referring to me you cheeky blighter? I don't think anyone's brought any longer skis into your shop this season have they? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Zero-G, hmmm, I am not at al sure the ice hockey team are entirely to be recommended.

Very pleased you had a great time.

We still have not met for a beer.
snow report
The Chamois??PAh! You disgust me

GO PENGUINS!!! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds amazing, what an opportunity to do an entire season in somewhere truly gnarly like Chamonix, I bet you are a wonderful skier.

Also you're very brave to go it alone, I hate skiing on my own! It's such an amazing environment, you just want to share the experience.

Thanks for posting, it's a very interesting read.

I was chatting to a guy who's doing a season in Val, and he was talking about the drinking every night and simply said "There's nothing else to do except get drunk!".

I would LOVE to have done a season, maybe one day. It's best way to get off the intermediate plateau which I will forever be on*.

* I'm hoping the moguls clinic at the eosb will help though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I wish I'd already been a better skier when I did my season, and not a novice. I'll never get off the intermidiot plateau now. Sad
snow conditions
Zero-G, snowHead snowHead
latest report
under a new name wrote:
We still have not met for a beer.

There's time, I don't leave until Sunday (just waiting for Andy to confirm when he can collect my excess luggage so that I can book my flight).

Nadenoodle, at the match that fatbob and I went to, Cham gave Morzine a bit of a thrashing Very Happy

And just to dispel any myths about my skiing ability, while I'm now fine on hard and not-so-deep snow, I'm still ungainly in anything deeper than 30cm, especially if its hiding lumpy bumps (which it is, most of the time).
snow conditions
Really interesting and thoughtful perspectives on your season, thanks for posting. A season in Chamoinx sounds amazing (would be a tough pick between Cham and Japan).
snow conditions
Zero-G, really enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting Very Happy
snow report
Zero-G wrote:

Would you do a whole season again?
I was never lonely, it was just boring not having that human interaction sometimes. I am actually quite shy (believe it or not) and don't tend to strike up conversations on the chairlifts or in bars; visiting friends and meeting up with other snowHeads kept me sane. And the boys at Sole Boot Lab – I enjoyed their banter (and their bootfitting skills, obviously).

Interesting point - did you think that your choice of resort had an impact on the level of interaction?

Something I was very conscious of when I chose to base myself in Plan-Peisey a few years ago, being tucked away in a relatively small part of a big domain, i thought it would be easier to get to know people than getting 'lost' in a big resort like cham, tignes or st. Anton but still have lots to go at from a piste perspective...
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Interesting point - did you think that your choice of resort had an impact on the level of interaction?

No, it's mainly down to my own level of shyness. No matter the size of the resort, if you're comfortable striking up conversations with complete strangers then you'd have no problem.

Chamonix may be big (for a ski town) but has little pockets of communities within it – there seems to be a niche for everyone.
snow report
Yes Zero's seemed happiest rolling around on our floor with a bottle of champagne
snow conditions
Zero-G wrote:
Chamonix may be big (for a ski town) but has little pockets of communities within it – there seems to be a niche for everyone.

Just like the League of gentlemen ? wink

http://youtube.com/v/DhvaxUvVK_8
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Is it possible to do a brief resumé of how the finances worked?

Season costs:
€4,300 for a studio flat for 6 months that is 30-second walk from the Aiguille du Midi lift station, 2-minute walk from main bus stops, 5-minute walk from centre of town, within spitting distances of various bars, pharmacies, boulangeries, markets, etc.
€1,000 for 25 weeks of groceries at €40 per week (excluding alcohol)
€840 for a season pass (this is based on my Mont Blanc Unlimited season pass bought at early-bird discount rate)
€380 for return business class flights on Swiss, which includes ski carriage and a sizable baggage allowance
€160 for return private airport transfer from Geneva to Cham (booked well in advance for off-peak days)
€370 for insurance with BMC (this is one of their bigger policies, covering all off piste, piste rescue, mountain rescue, loads of medical expenses, repatriation, equipment loss/breakage/theft, etc.)
€720 for 6x private lessons
€320 for one day with a guide
Total €8,090

Some additional purchases that weren't factored into my original budget when I planned this season:
€800 for new skis and bindings. I should be able to recoup some of that cost when I sell my other two pairs of skis (have already sold my other bindings)
€600 for warmer mid layers and mitts because it was desperately cold in January and the kit I had didn't suffice
€100 for kitchenware to supplement the meagre offerings of the studio apartment
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
Yes Zero's seemed happiest rolling around on our floor with a bottle of champagne

Very Happy just bringing some class to your establishment
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy