Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tom Grant interview

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well worth a read:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4839
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice to see friends getting some press Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the rocks, thanks, you were right, it was well worth a read
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic read, thanks snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow! Makes me feel humble.

I was interested in his comment that 80% of Alpine mountain slopes are accessible only to 5% of skiers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
Wow! Makes me feel humble.

I was interested in his comment that 80% of Alpine mountain slopes are accessible only to 5% of skiers.

He was being very nice here, it's a rephrase of something our mutual friend Andreas Fransson said in an interview last year along the same lines

The reality is 80% of the slopes in Chamonix are accessible to only 5% (maybe less) of the skiers living in the Chamonix valley, or about 0.000005% (might need to add more decimal places) of the worlds skiers Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some great pics in there.

Thanks.

Out of interest Idris what grade would Cosmiques be please?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
Some great pics in there.

Thanks.

Out of interest Idris what grade would Cosmiques be please?

Officially it's 5.1 but really it's 5.2, it just get's skied a lot, hence gets a lower rating.

It's about 900m vertical, only 45 degrees for a 100m or so, but never really drops to 35 degrees all the way down. It's a very long way to fall if you mess up.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Idris, your description makes it sound more like 3.5 at very most! I'd certainly be happy on what you describe but I wouldn't ski a grade 5 slope.

see grade definitions:
Ski 1. Initiation. Slopes do not exceed 30° with no narrow sections. Vertical descent is less than 800m.
Ski 2. Few technical difficulties. Slopes do no exceed 35°.
Ski 3. Some technical sections. Long slopes at 35° with very short sections at 40-45°.
Ski 4. Couloir or steep skiing : slopes between 40 and 45° over more than 200m vertical.
Ski 5. Starts with slopes of 45°-50° during more than 300m vertical or above 50° for more than 100m vertical.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 1-04-13 18:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Idris.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That was a great read thanks, I'm here at moment and would love to get up close to some of those lines, stand at the top of the gervasutti or jager so you can really get a feel for how steep they are.. quite apart from my lack of ability I wouldn't on principle ski anything that I couldn't fall on though, but would love to ski tour something steep with less risk involved some day. Went up aiguille yesterday just to have a look at some of the lines but poxy clover came in! Couldn't even see the front face lines Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bless Tom, popped in today, having problems putting his Dynafit heel pieces into his quiver killers. Problem being he'd rotated the heel piece 180° and therefore was trying to put it on backwards. Brains? Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy