Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any intelligence on Madonna di Campiglio?

Poster: A snowHead
Help! The full weight of my family's ski break is on my shoulders. I was going to book us into Arabba, but a colleague has suggested Madonna di Campiglio. We only have four days of skiing (we live in Italy, so it's worth the journey). From what I've seen online, the snow in the Dolomites is fabulous this season. Has anyone skied Madonna di Campiglio lately? Are the conditions still good? Are we getting into that spring thaw/freeze/heavy snow period, or is it still ok? Is it easy to ski over to other areas?
We are all good skiers, so don't want to go someplace where we'll be bored after a day or two, but we aren't looking for off-piste.
All thoughts very welcome. Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi skifamily2, was in San Cassiano last week (ski coaching with Inside out skiing (plug.plug)), and I can confirm the conditions were superb. I've also checked out the webcams (http://www.funiviecampiglio.it/) and weather forecast, and it all looks ok. Ok, slightly different area, but near enough. Get going, you'll be in credit with the missus!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both are excellent bets for what it seems you are after. They're such good options, both of em, that I'd be deciding purely what is easiest to travel to and any hotel deals.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Champoluc, Arabba or Madonna di Campiglio? You're going to have to toss a 'three-sided coin' now! Laughing You'll not go wrong in any of them next week. Very Happy MdC, Pinzolo, Folgarida and Marilleva are all directly linked. You can ski MdC and Pinzolo on a local lift pass. You can ski Folgarida and Marilleva on a different local lift pass. To ski them all you must get a full area lift pass, or you can extend your local pass at the kiosk at the bottom of Piste 15 (red) in the Pradolago sector on the way to Folgarida. If you are all good skiers and you like to cover the miles/kilometres, you'll be better off with a full area pass. Have fun.

I think there are other resorts on the full area lift pass (Andalo,Fai di Paganella, Monte Bondone and Passo Tonale possibly?). I don't know how good the bus-links are, but I suspect you may need a car to get to them. Further information here:

http://www.paganella.net/sito/superskirama.php
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to Folgarida-Marilleva-MdC at this time of year in the past and the conditions have been outstanding with very little afternoon thaw (of course that will vary season to season). The overall coverage looks and sounds as though it has been better this year. Go for it, definitely!

Good advice on the whole area lift pass. I did take the day offered to Passo Tonale - wish I hadn't bothered. There's not comparison IMV. The bus takes about 40-50 minutes from Folgarida to Passo - no idea from MdC.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A three-sided coin would be good; or a three week break from work and a bottomless bank account Very Happy Cant wait to get skiing, and good to know there's not much afternoon thaw. I had everything sorted for MdC, but the hotel says it's either a 200 euro transfer from Bolzano (I had thought no more than euro 120) or a 2.5 hour bus ride from Trento train station. Am trying to do everything to avoid the macchina, but the trains aren't getting us close to the slopes. So now it's back to logistics. Sad Does anyone know a reasonable car services that would shuttle us from Bolzano or Trento to MdC?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're booked at Madonna di Campiglio! Thanks to everyone for all the info. Went with the best hotel deal and shortest journey from home. We will get the full area pass, and will report back after. I'm not sure how I managed before Snowheads snowHead .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skifamily2, good news and have a great trip - look forward to hearing all about it.

From a TR I did a couple of years ago, if you'd like a recommendation for a mountain lunch:

Quote:
Mountain eating/refreshments: plenty to choose from, some expensive (for the area), some not. So, I’ll pick my place of the week, already mentioned in an earlier text report. The Refugio Orti. Warm welcome, roaring log fireplace, tasty food and inexpensive. Because the place is halfway down a black run with a seriously steep early section (you can watch people slide down from the terrace if you so desire), it doesn’t seem to get too packed. One can take the lift there from Marilleva and ski off via a blue if so desired. Far better to ski from the top of Dos de la Pesa and reward yourself after that steep section!

Accessible for skiers of most abilities.

If you're likely to eat out in the evening, worth having a look at the Antico Focolare - it was recommended to me and didn't fail in terms of service, food and wine, so happy to pass on the recommendation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yep I'd second Chasseur, on that Orti place and that Antico place does top notch pizza.

If you like your pasta then Rif Viviani in the Pradelago sector is wonderful for lunch. Truly excellent pasta dishes, eat in main restaurant with views to die for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skifamily2 wrote:
A three-sided coin would be good; or a three week break from work and a bottomless bank account Very Happy Cant wait to get skiing, and good to know there's not much afternoon thaw. I had everything sorted for MdC, but the hotel says it's either a 200 euro transfer from Bolzano (I had thought no more than euro 120) or a 2.5 hour bus ride from Trento train station. Am trying to do everything to avoid the macchina, but the trains aren't getting us close to the slopes. So now it's back to logistics. Sad Does anyone know a reasonable car services that would shuttle us from Bolzano or Trento to MdC?

See the below link for transfer services from the airports and train stations to Madonna:

http://www.campigliodolomiti.it/lang/EN/pagine/dettaglio/trasporti_e_mobilita_,119/transfer_service_,561.html

http://www.campigliodolomiti.it/lang/EN/pagine/dettaglio/trasporti_e_mobilita_,119/flyski_shuttle,696.html

You could do train and taxi to go to Madonna and then get the ski shuttle service back to the airport for a third of the price
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like the bus from the train station will work, so we can save our money for some good meals. The restaurants sound great. But I think we'll be taking the blue run to the Refugio Orti if we go the first day. My kids can get down pretty much anything once they have found their legs, but last year the youngest panicked when we took her on a steep black run the first day out and was stuck for about half an hour before I could persuade her to move. Not one of my favourite memories.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had a great time in the Hotel Milano a few years back and the restaurant food was trulyu superb, obviously I can't vouch for it now but would say have a look in one night and if it looks good then it probably is.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's looking good for next week. Chance of more snow over the weekend and then clearer into next week. Very Happy Have a good one!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick note to say thanks again for all the info. Bus gransfer worked well Today was bliss, despite the wet snow and patchy visibility. Right nowit's snowing heavily on top of a phenomenal base, so should be amazing when the sun starts poking out again. Everyone in the family is happy. Good snow. Long runs. Great food. No crowds at the Easter weekend and people who ski under control and keep their distance.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skifamily2, Hope you are having fun. We got back from MdC on Sunday night. By now you won't need many more hints and tips, but....

Favourite restaurants in town:
Le Roi - great pizzas, good atmosphere, excellent value
Antico Focolare - as previously described
Cantina Suisse -Good for a more upmarket night out.

Mountain Restaurants:
Viviani Pradalago - good restaurant. - Hot chocolate with cream and rum are fab in the bar down below.
Stoppani - Great place to stop. We only used the restaurant, not the self-service
Chalet Fiat - Triumph of style over substance

Favourite runs:
Genziana Alta
Genziana Bassa
Amazzonia
Pancugolu - very new black.
Spinale Diretta

Pinzolo - I didn't get over there, but some of our party did and I think the conclusion was it wasn't really worth the effort.

I know you will have great snow, but I just hope you have better weather than we did. Eight days of white-out with only two hours of sunshine (on the last morning). The sunshine was swiftly replaced with hail. Worst skiing weather I have ever had.

Let me know how you got on.
ski holidays
hello,

is anybody that can give some advice about the off-piste options in/around Madonna di Campiglio?

Thanks in advance!
latest report
maverick, My friend - It is probably the wrong time of year to be asking this question..... :: But, I am sure somebody with better knowledge will reply soon...! Smile
snow conditions
good planning starts early Wink I hope knowledge will surface soon
ski holidays
maverick, I was under the impression, and from what I remember, that off-piste in MdC was very limited. However, when I did a quick Google it suggested otherwise. So, not too sure really. As, I say, my memories of it were that OP was v limited. Probably by law rather than terrain.
latest report
maverick, although not connected with snowHeads any longer, you could email folgarida.co.uk (www.) and ask them. Poss even allude to being interested in booking one of their holidays. The guy who owns the company is probably the best font of knowledge for the area I can think of.

IIRC, there are plenty of options, but there are also certain laws prohibiting OP skiing in certain, not always too clearly marked, areas.
latest report
a late, and probably not helpful, response... we didn't notice much off piste skiing, but we also weren't looking. for what it's worth, we had a fabulous time, but we were also looking for something quite specific. we were only skiing for five days so wanted convenience, variety, beauty and runs that would keep a family of good skiers happy (my kids were born in Canada and have been on skis and skates since they were tiny, but we only ski once a year and we're not thrill-seekers). hope that helps.
ski holidays
Skifamily2, always nice to have a response snowHead

Good to hear you had a fabulous time.
ski holidays
maverick wrote:
good planning starts early Wink I hope knowledge will surface soon

Hi Maverick. If you still need info on MdC, then just search for a new SnowHead called Campiglio. He runs a company that does nothing except send people there. He's just joined and seems very eager and happy to help with every query. He's been posting a lot just recently.
snow report
If I may !!
I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can re: Madonna di Campiglio
No strings !!
All the best
Dom
latest report
hello again and thank you for your replies!
@Campiglio, can you please recommend a good guide for off-piste skiing in the area?
Thank you in advance!
latest report
No problem -
IMO, the best off piste guide in the entire region is Daniele Girardi.
Dani works at the Scuola Sci Nazionale Des Alpes.
Your contact is Mauro Mase - the ski school director.
Tel: 0039 0465 442850
E: info@scuolascidesalpes.it

Feel free to tell Mauro you've been speaking to me.
He's an old friend of mine.
ski holidays
Hi Maverick,
I spoke with Mauro at the ski school, earlier and I told him you may call for an off piste guide/instructor.
snow report
Thank you @Campiglio!
At the moment I am getting the group together and sorting out who will get on board for touring /off-piste, so it may take a few more days / weeks before making the call for the guide.
Had a look at their site and Daniele is presented as their freestyle instructor Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No problem !!
If I can ealp in any other way, feel free to ask
latest report
It has, at last, started to snow.
We have our first snow at our top stations and it looks like it will continue for the rest of the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy