Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SZK - consequences of correcting alignment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
SZK,

thought you might be well placed to answer this but input from anyone would be welcome.

Had a chat with a podiatrist at the ski show who thought that the answer to an alignment issue that I have would be to put a shim under the inside of my right footbed (or grind a foot board?) to tilt my right foot outwards. Having done some experimenting, I think this is probably right - it allows my right knee to flex straight forward rather than in towards my left knee. I'm planning to make an appointment.

Unsurprisingly perhaps, when I flex after the (improvised by me) correction I can feel some small muscles/tendons in my ankle being worked harder than I am used to. I could imagine them getting sore. My main question is this - will I need to do exercises to strengthen the currently underused muscles? Should I be shimming my everday shoes as well so that using a correct stance is not a shock to the system when I ski?

While I think about it, I'd been thinking about buying some Garmont Adrenalins to replace my alpine boots. Having read some comments it seems that the general view is that even these are a pretty poor stubstitute for alpine boots. My current boots have probably done 8 weeks hard skiing - they are OK but have cracks on the "overlaps" (at front of boot near base of cuff) and one boot has already had to have the main pivot/rivet replaced. Would I be wasting time/effort to get these worked on? I've got no particular desire to replace them.

Thanks,

Jed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster wrote:
SZK,

thought you might be well placed to answer this but input from anyone would be welcome.

Had a chat with a podiatrist at the ski show who thought that the answer to an alignment issue that I have would be to put a shim under the inside of my right footbed (or grind a foot board?) to tilt my right foot outwards. Having done some experimenting, I think this is probably right - it allows my right knee to flex straight forward rather than in towards my left knee. I'm planning to make an appointment.

Unsurprisingly perhaps, when I flex after the (improvised by me) correction I can feel some small muscles/tendons in my ankle being worked harder than I am used to. I could imagine them getting sore. My main question is this - will I need to do exercises to strengthen the currently underused muscles? Should I be shimming my everday shoes as well so that using a correct stance is not a shock to the system when I ski?

While I think about it, I'd been thinking about buying some Garmont Adrenalins to replace my alpine boots. Having read some comments it seems that the general view is that even these are a pretty poor stubstitute for alpine boots. My current boots have probably done 8 weeks hard skiing - they are OK but have cracks on the "overlaps" (at front of boot near base of cuff) and one boot has already had to have the main pivot/rivet replaced. Would I be wasting time/effort to get these worked on? I've got no particular desire to replace them.

Thanks,

Jed

The alignment issue, is too complecated to descuss here, without your feet. However, it highlights the importance of a correctly made Orthotic. Massive debate? Please, no.

Yes, this should cause the foot; it's muscles, tendons and ligaments to feel a little different and will require some perseverance. Please be careful going down thw D.I.Y. route, subtle changes at foot level can have massive knock on effects to the knee, hip and back. Find a good tecnician or podiatrist. It should feel different, if it doesn't, what has it changed? Subjective, please no descussion.

Adrenalins? Not a fan personally. However thats because i don't like working for the plastic. That said, we sell alot, it has it's place in terms of fit and many seem to be happy with it.
Your boots, are the wrong shape. Too much volume over the instep causes the cracking. It can be stopped by drilling a small hole in the crack, furthest from the overlap, but in my expierience it's a lost cause. Most commonly associated with Salomon 'Course' boots and the odd Tecnica.
Don't shoot the postman! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or you could argue that no ski/boots placements on the snow are the same so you are always making little corrections for each turn so unless it is a huge issue it might be irrelavant.

I say this because I had problems with my back, went private and got told by the consultant I have one leg shorter than the other. I went back via the NHS for a consultancy 8-10 weeks later and the same guy said nothing of the sort, just gave me a lot of exercises to do. A trusted Physio said she could see no such thing and pretty well rubbished his diagnosis as much as she was able....You could go a long way spending money for little or no gain.

The first thing I would ask is do you feel it hurts your skiing..? If it is an obvious and resounding YES then maybe follow up all the leads, If it is a No or maybe, start with a proper boot fit and see how it goes.

Most medical people for recreational activities might say you can do 3 things...

Do this
Do that
or Do nothing ....... depending how serious you can convince them it is...!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SZK,

Thanks for your reply - makes a lot of sense. I wasn't trying to start a debate just trying to get a bit of advice (which is what I got).

The reason for my experimenting is that I've seen a (different) podiatrist before with unsatisfactory results. I wanted to get a little more confident before I shelled out some more cash. Actually, after I posted last night I had a play with my boots. Tried to ape a correction by fixing some strips of cornflake packet with gaffer tape to one side of the bottom of my conformable footbeds. Seemed to really work. I suspect the fact that I could do this and still close my boots comfortably rather proves your point about excess space over my instep (by the way they are Nordica Next 9.0s).

JT,
I ski to a pretty decent standard so it's not like I've been prevented from making progress by this alignment issue but it does effect my skiing in the following ways:
1. trivial but illustrative - on a drag lift I cant get my right ski flat. I generally ride on my flat left ski and guide my right or alternate between inside edges (tricky on t-bars!)
2. I have to turn my right knee in to get my skis parallel (otherwise the right tip tends to splay out). This isn't ideal but I've learned to work with it and don't really notice it most of the time. If I get knocked back in a turn - say carving through crud - and my weight comes off my right (downhill) edge then I do tend to find my skis diverging!
3. I think my control of my right ski when it is the inside/uphill ski is rather restricted (e.g., I've always found the exercise when you ski on the "wrong" edge pretty difficult).

Here's what I think I'll do - any comments appreciated:

Have a chat with the podiatrist about the following plan:

1. book in her for a proper assessment and perhaps get some new footbeds/orthotics made
2. stick with my boots for my first ski trip - it's a once (?) in a lifetime heli trip and I don't want to risk new boots when I know my current ones are comfortable/work. I will try to limit the cracking as SZK suggests. I may test my cornflake packet modification if the podiatrist doesn't think I'm mad because I can easily rip it out if its not working
3. look to buy some new boots on my second trip of the year - a long weekend in Cham. I figure I could bring my new footbeds/othotics plus perhaps a "prescription" for a shim or a footboard grind with me and have a few days to iron out any fit issues

(Leaving aside SZK's potential commercial interest!) Do you think this makes sense?

Cheers,

Jed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster, how many days have your boots done? I ask only as a mate I was heli-ing with had the entertaining problem of a boot breaking on day 1.

Thankfully a heli was heading to Whistler the day after so we had the fun of phoning a Whistler hire shop who happily despatched a bracket of boots to replace.

Otherwise he'd have been royally stuffed.

Actually, we were all royally stuffed as we spent the next 5 days waiting for the weather to clear.

Also, take your boots as HAND LUGGAGE. They're about the only bit of kit a decent heli outfit can't replace.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DM,

Ah yes, good point. We're actually planning a few days resort skiing (kicking horse) to warm up so the baggage screw-up issue is less of a concern but could my boots break? I doubt the cracks at the front of the cuff are too serious but I have already managed to bust one of the ankle pivots out and the boot tech had to replace it with a bigger one. The pathetic thing is that they have probably only done 40-50 days. I am a little rough with my gear though.

They are so comfortable that I'm reluctant to change them... still a purchase could be coming on

J
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster, always good to buy new kit. The Adrenalins seem like an interesting option but I remain unconcvinced. Personally I reckon Tecnica should release the plug race boot with a tour/walk option.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Adrenalins? Not a fan personally. However thats because i don't like working for the plastic. That said, we sell alot, it has it's place in terms of fit and many seem to be happy with it.

What do you mean by "I don't like working for the plastic".

Ended up buying the Adrenalins just before a weeks touring back in April 05. Had reservations at the time but they do seem to fit my feet well. Haven't had chance to try 'em on piste much yet so haven't come to a conclusion in comparison to my alpine boots. What other options would you consider if someone needs one pair of boots for everything? (piste, powder, touring etc).

What's the new Scarpa tornado like, any improvement over the Adrenalin? What about people like Dale or Strolz who offer a boot with grippy sole and walk-mode? Perhaps there's another high end ski boot that has a walk mode and slapping on a vibram sole is a good way to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster,

That sounds a bit more of an issue. I would pursue this. It sounds like you may need a built up heel or something which should be something a fitter could do, I would think
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster, BE VERY CAREFUL. I went to a podiatrist - she had special biomechanics modules, skied to a good standard herself, and appeared to understand weight distribution and days in boots etc. 3 years later my feet are still giving me problems resulting from this so-called experts's ministrations. As I spend 30 weeks a year in ski boots this is a major pain in the ar*e. (Understatement of the year). I have the opposite problem from you - I have quite a severe pronation of my left foot, and consequently some niggly knee problems on that side. However - they are NOTHING compared to the pain this wretched woman caused. It's not unknown for me to be virtually unable to walk at the end of the winter season.

Go by all means - BUT BE VERY CAREFUL AND DON'T TAKE HER WORD FOR IT. Better to go to a good bootfitter (SZK?) or my pal Cedric here IMO. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski,

thanks for the warning

The podiatrist I'm considerng is at Bodyfactor (I think thats the right name?) - the physio/podiatry outfit connected to S&R which has units at their Covent Garden and Chertsey branches. As you'd expect she does a lot of work with skiers and skiboots. I was quite encouraged by the way she looked at my current orthotics (result of consuting a different podiatrist) and said I'm not sure you really need orthotics but I do think we could work with the boots to get you better aligned.

Anybody have any experience of Bodyfactor?

J
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy