Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with a 5 month old

Poster: A snowHead
I was taken to an Austrian resort (lowish) at only a few months old. Mum recently told me she was 'told off' by a village elder for taking me out in the snow !
It didnt do me any harm (although other PSBers may disagree).
Your mileage may vary!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adam Holt, Not sure about MIL.Our friends and we took on MIL on a cruise earlier this year for the same purpose. It became rather embarrassing 'leaving her out(or otherwise) ' of everything and probably compromised everyone's enjoyment, particularly the wife concerned who felt that she was treating Mum badly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eEvans, you see, the altitude can of worms is opening!! I 100% agree that it probably doesn't cause problems. On another recent thread talking about this kind of thing someone else was saying that his missus is refusing to go and take their wee one because of all this altitude and sunlight nonsense, I said all the ususal things about - so what do they do with babies born to locals in resort? send them down!? I'm not some wrap them up in cotton wool wussy but ....

the bottom line is that I feel effects at altitude and sometimes really quite badly - so like I said, if I don't need to take the risk, then why bother!? there are any number of places I can ski with good snow etc where the village is 1000m or less. Doing this means I don't suffer, and Freddie being a baby won't be exposed to any 'potential, but wholly unproven concerns', and he won't suffer from any of my altitude probems if I've passed them on to him!

As for the MIL .... very early days on this thought! she likes the wine you see and has an eye for the younger men so there's a fair potential for her to get carried away and de focus from her real priorities!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adam Holt, You're right of course .... and now can we get back to Adam's original request ? Embarassed

PS - If I had a MIL, I would want one like that !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eEvans wrote:
PS - If I had a MIL, I would want one like that !!

You want a MIL attracted to younger men? Like yourself?! Sir, I'm shocked Very Happy

OK, on with the thread.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alan empty wrote:
You want a MIL attracted to younger men? Like yourself?! Sir, I'm shocked Very Happy

At my age , I would either have to be married to :
a) A much, much younger lady or
b) Not be too fuusy about the absence of hair and teeth ( sorry to the easily offended!)

Sorry Adam -- now anyone got any reccomendations for childcare , chalets , catered , low resorts ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We took Grace who was 11 months to Banff, please for your own sanity don't go to Canada/USA. Adults handle jet lag OK - get drunk stay awake job done. Babies don't, Grace was in the wide awake club at 3 for the first 5 days of 2 weeks. Tried all the usual things like pillows over her head and shutting in drawers but all to no avail.

During the day we were lucky as we took gran with us to baby sit whilst we skied.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eEvans, alan empty, enough ENOUGH you reprobates!!!!! Laughing snowHead

Ken Lingwood, Freddie is Chairman of the W.A.C. so I don't think we want anything extra keeping the wee sh*t awake!!! my sanity is currently only staying with me by a thread!!! so i think I will pay heed to you ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry to hear about Grace's troubles in Banff Ken Lingwood, but that is unusual.
Infants are not meant to be affected by Jet Lag.
See general comments from babycenter and flighthealth, and personal experiences here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Adam Holt, I'd go for Saalbach. I can't comment on hotel facilities for families with young children but I can help with other stuff. I too suffer at high altitude. I'm ok for a couple of days but after that the sleepless nights and headaches get a bit much.

The resort of Saalbach is 1000m with top lift height of around 2200m. I didn't have any problems here. I'd go for this resort over Soll as it's more convenient lift wise. You can access the slopes from the resort from 3 lifts. If you stayed in the centre, it's about 2-5mins walk to the lifts which I suppose would make it very convenient for popping back to the hotel during the day. You won't be able to do this so easily in the Ski Welt, particualrly Soll, as it's a 5-10 min walk from the centre to the main gondola. The lift network on the mountain is also well organised, much better than the Ski Welt, so you can clock up some mileage but get back to the resort fairly quickly and easily. Generally, the skiing and convenience of it in Saalbach/Hinterglemm is the best I've come across in Austria. I haven't been to St Anton yet though, but in the Salzburg and Tirol area, Saalbach wins it for me.

The hotels in Saalbach are excellent. You may pay a bit more for this but it's worth it. We stayed at the Bauer, highly recommended. The food is excellent and the rooms were a good size, plus they have a small pool. A family had an infant there at the same time as us and seemed fine with the hotel set up. Not sure about child care (they took the grandparents) but the hotels have such good facilities I imagine some offer childcare.

The flight to Salzburg is about an hour from London so add on another hour from Edinburgh? The transfer is about an hour and a half. It would be a good drive to Saalbach (friends did it in about 11 hours from London) but they took full advantage of the Autobahn. I guess it's a bit of a trek from Edinburgh.

I hope this helps, at least with the logistics of the two resorts you mentioned.

On the topic of taking young children skiing, last year we saw a family on the plane with a child that can't have been more than a month old. It was exceptionally cold that week in Austria but all seemed well with the baby when we saw them on the flight home. I thought that might be a bit too young though!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hayley t, many thanks for this. The short flight and short transfer at the other end are big attractions with Austria. The flight isn't an extra hour I think its only a little bit more - something like 1 1/2 hours max the last time I went. I think I'll just get in touch with the Saalbach tourist office and ask their advice on my accomodation options .... rather than ask them to give me hotels with childcare I'll start with being more open ended than that and see what they come back with .... perhaps they'll give me another angle I haven't thought of yet.

If I can put a solid proposal and business plan together covering all eventualities Sue can't say no!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
If I can put a solid proposal and business plan together covering all eventualities Sue can't say no!!

Let Sue see this thread (if not already done so), once she reaises all the effort you've put in then surely it'll be game on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masmith, true! In fairness to Sue she isn't putting a block on things at all. She really would like to go, its just that she / we feel need to be convinced of the practicalities of actually doing it.

Thinking about it again today I think some of our hesitance is due to the fact that when we imagine going and what it would be like - we are imagining it with Freddie as he is now. Currently there's no way we could really leave the wee man with anyone for any length of time as he's so unpredictable and I suppose so needy. So some part of us is needing to see him settle down a bit before we book. But this is being a bit naive because he's only 10 weeks old now and will twice as old when the time to go comes around! I'm sure he'll be fine by then or at least much more predictable and manageable!! I will show her this thread!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of curiosity, how old is Freddie now ... was he born around the time of the Ashes by any chance ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith, He's 10 weeks and 1 day old. Freddie Flintoff actually started an innings the day he was born (25th august) and went on to complete his century the next day. But his naming honestly had nothing to do with the Ashes. Sue had picked the name as the favourite on our short short list way before. She's a scot, I'm Irish (although a big cricket fan) so naming our child after an englishman was rather unlikely .... although if he had to be named after one then Flintoffs not the worst ... at least he's a northerner!!
latest report
Hi Adam

In your quest to find a family friendly chalet - may I suggest ours? We have kids ourselves and are a bit more hands on and understanding about the whole kids on holiday scenario, as we've been there ourselves. We can provide cots, car seats and have stairgates for older ones already exploring. We also don't mind people returning to the chalet during the day, which is often necessary with little ones in tow. Babysitting is available if you need to catch a few hours alone on the slopes. Unfortunately the youngest they take kids at the kindergarden is 8 months here in La Clusaz, and BCGs are necessary. Although, not the easiest injections to get done in the UK now, as we found out last year.

Anyway if you are interested we are at www.gravite.co.uk.

I hope this helps in your quest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy