Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring Boots, your 2 pence worth please

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I would count myself as a "weight-weenie"

Quote:

Found the scarpa maestrale (not rs) for £307

Can't help with Wallet Weight, the Cochise light dyn and maestrale weigh the same. Toofy Grin
The Cochise won't fall to bits though. wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi OwenM, the price has gone down even more. Its Snow and rock they are now £219.99!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I needed touring boots fairly quickly as I decided to try my first tour, a 1000m ascent and a ski down at night by head torch. After trying on a couple of boots I went for the Dynafit One U (with discount). Did the tour with not a blister or hot spot and have since done another smaller one with a lot of forest and bumps skiing. Quite impressed with them Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, They're good boots. And I think you ski in Nordica? So reckon that's a fair match given the choice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will the same foot shape fit in a Maestrale and a Cochise ? or are they both a different shape/volume to the Titan?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, Nords seemed pretty close to the volume and shape, but obviously didn't go quite as small for touring Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
Will the same foot shape fit in a Maestrale and a Cochise ? or are they both a different shape/volume to the Titan?

I found the Cochise (120) a little more roomy, especially over the instep.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski the Dalbello Virus/Sherpa almost all the time (got 3 days on my Langes last year). With the exception of replacing the tounge liner with a wrap around they are unmodified.
They are not much heavier than many of the so called lightweight boots and I have more than enough power to drive my planks - more so than many an alpine boot I've skied.
Their biggest plus is a walk more well beyond anything out side of the weight weenie class boots.
In case you are wondering how they work at the sharp end, I do upon occasion get to ski with Dave R and Andreas F Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Idris, one in Cochise, the other all sorts of stuff, most recently a Scarpa Rs. Power, weight and fit the virus is years behind the competition, perhaps try a modern Dynafit or new gen Scarpa, you'll wonder how you ever wrote the above not long after.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robeadon wrote:
Hi OwenM, the price has gone down even more. Its Snow and rock they are now £219.99!

Not got my size, what a bummer. I've just got some Scarpa Matrix's for £150 from Lockwoods. Not sure their what I'm after they seem more of a freerider boot than a tourer. Their very high up the shin and the walk/ski mode is pants, the one on the Maestrale's was really good. Their also 2kg each quite a bit above what is quoted. Not sure whether to send them back or try them out over the weekend, trouble is once you've skied them you can't get a refund.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Matrix is a pretty soft tourer, are you sure you've got the right boot?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes they were Matrix, I sent them back in the end, just not for me.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OwenM, Maestrale RS's can be bought for £360.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross wrote:
OwenM, Maestrale RS's can be bought for £360.

Where?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OwenM, PM sent.
snow report
Weathercam, some interesting opinions and (perhaps) some interesting anecdotes but I'm afraid you've come across as a total tool in this thread.

I use Dynafit Titans, of which there's plenty on out there on. Although expensive, they come with spare alpine ISO sole plates as well as dynafit-compatible soles. I haven't (and not intending to) use them for hut to hut stuff but they're absolutely fine for long day tours. I'm off to Lofoten in a week, perhaps I'll meet Mr Dynafit too?
snow report
Flouncymark wrote:
I'm off to Lofoten in a week, perhaps I'll meet Mr Dynafit too?

with Offpisteskiing? if so, see you there!
snow report
Arno, really?! Nice one! I wondered whether you'd be on the trip as I noticed you've been on a few of Simon's trips before snowHead
snow report
OwenM, me too please mate, I have friends still shopping.
latest report
Afraid I drew a blank here https://www.freezeproshop.com/scarpa-maestrale-rs-ski-boots

"Their out of stock, we wont have anymore till next season and no we wont order any in specially". A bit curt to say the least.
snow conditions
OwenM, What size, PM please.
latest report
I have about 15 days on my RSs. I love them, like trainers on the up, like full on ski boots on the down. Mine are showing no signs of coming apart, but they are light and I anticipate that they won't be as durable as some other models out there. One of the things I like is the quality of the supplied liners, also once you get the sequence sorted they are very easy to get on and off.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

Bet I won't see any in La Grave Smile

Have you looked for any yet?
Two weeks ago I saw a few, including one pair on myself (yes I'm a Jong punter I know) but also one pair on a La Grave guide, keep your eyes peeled and report back.

PS whilst most of what you say about them seems to be internet warrior BS, you are correct in the "styling" dept, god knows who tecnica put in charge of that. They obvious thought there was a huge untouched hispanic market in the US for touring boots.

PPS CH20 since you've done a lot of after market mods on them what liner would you suggest?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 25-03-13 21:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Flouncymark wrote:
I'm off to Lofoten in a week, perhaps I'll meet Mr Dynafit too?

You have way too much time off work and money
Utter utter bstard Going green
snow report
On the contrary, in 2 weeks time I'll have little of either Skullie wink
snow conditions
I've been using Dynafit ZZeus for a couple of seasons and they are a great allrounder but I would concede a little soft for some. I have put Zipfit liners in for this season to get a bit more toe room and heel grip with the added benefit of them stiffening up a little as the Zipfits have their own stiff-ish tongue and power strap to add to the boot.

As an aside. About time there was an objective international standard for flex to avoid some of this confusion.
latest report
betterinblack, Intution Power Wrap and Power Wrap Plus, a couple with Intuition Touring too. The stock liner works well for us in other boots, next year it's much improved but no substitute for the Powerwrap.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy