Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to avoid losing skis in powder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How can I avoid losing skis in the powder? Puzzled

After a few unsuccessful hours searching for a friends missing ski in Val Thorens last season, I wonder what is the best way to avoid this happening again?

Any advice much appreciated. snowHead [/b]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been skiing since I was about four (35 now). I remember back in about 1980 they made straps which connected your boots to the bindings. This was before the days of the two brakes that drop down when the ski becomes separated from the boot. The result of these straps was that when the ski came off it remained close to you. The only danger with these is that they may hit you if they do come off as they won't be far away. I guess you'll have to weigh up whether the risk of being hit by a ski is greater than losing a ski.

If your skiing in powder I don't see it as a major problem (I came off many times and never got hit with one).

Hope this helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BrightonSki, ever heard of ski-streamers?

They're rolled up streamers which you clip to your binding and tuck into your boot so when the ski falls into powder, it leaves a long visible steamer so it's easy to find the ski. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wasn't there another thread on this? What happened to all the posts?

Jack Hallam, BrightonSki, if you haven't been welcomed already, in fact even if you have, Welcome to SnowHeads.

Jack Hallam, I referred to these as powder leashes and I have a pair. Someone's comment was that a friend nearly hurt himself badly being hit by a ski. A helmet may help.

Also check out this thread here (I think you started it too?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got to be "powder traces" . Brightly coloured nylon strips of about 2m * 5 cm attached aound the bindings, then stuffed up your trouser leg. When you and the ski part company (surely not...?!) they pull out like a streamer, without having you and the ski attached, 'float' to the surface, and away you go.

Me & Mrs W now have a pair each as inevitably, when there was just a single 'try out' pair in the family, it was always the one not wearing them that came the cropper...

Get them from Slush & Rubble
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BrightonSki, you can also find some stuff on this at epicski
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy