Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

they last a long time and you only need one pair for almost all conditions.

yeah my googles were given to me by a guest when I worked a season in 1994! It's my oldest bit of kit. The elastic is a bit dodgy but I haven't replacement because I very rarely get any problems with misting up (have used quite expesive goggles which did mist up and you dont know until you use them).

Nowadays I wear a helmet most of the time and I agree sunglasses are not really an option with a helmet (unless you really dont care how you look). I may have to replace them soon.

J
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

they last a long time and you only need one pair for almost all conditions.

yeah my googles were given to me by a guest when I worked a season in 1994! It's my oldest bit of kit. The elastic is a bit dodgy but I haven't replacement because I very rarely get any problems with misting up (have used quite expesive goggles which did mist up and you dont know until you use them).

Nowadays I wear a helmet most of the time and I agree sunglasses are not really an option with a helmet (unless you really dont care how you look). I may have to replace them soon.

*BTW, I used to smash goggles quite a lot when I was carrying them in pockets or on my arm. The only place to store them that avoids this when skiing is on the back of your neck

J
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, I'm afraid the answer is YES YES YES ! But you dont have to spend a fortune.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rendry, you could always buy some cheap goggles and if they don't work, buy some better one's. I've got some Smiths and they're very good, although not the cheapest.

I find there are 2 types of people - those that prefer sunnies and those that prefer goggles. I'm a goggle person because the cold air makes my eyes stream so much, I can't see where I'm going! I also wear a helmet so I don't get steamy goggle issues anymore. Cool

Advice if you wear a hat and goggles - to prevent steaming, don't put your goggles up on your forehead - twist them round so the lenses are on the back of your head. snowHead

Oh and I've seen people wearing them upside down to try and unsteam them too. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't imagine wearing anything other than goggles. Just keep them on all the time not on top of your head to avoid steaming up.

I've had perfectly decent Smith & Scott goggles (2 screen,vented) for less than £30 and am not convinced by the whole Oakley(or any other trendy current brand) hype.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am perfectly happy with my UVEX they were about 35 euros. Have had many pairs of Scotts but then they changed lens colour.

IMHO you are best off with a light orange/gold lens for poor light. I only wear goggs in bad weather or off piste.

I also rate the Smith Slider range of specs with interchangeable lenses - reduces goggle occurrence.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep - I love my Uvexs too - although at heart I am a sunnies girl...Buy in resort - no point buying here really - if you get lucky you won't even need em and so will be £30+ richer = more beers! aj xx
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes buy goggles they have saved my bacon when the wheather has taken a turn for the worse on the ski slopes. In fact i find it is dangerous to ski in bad conditions without them as you dont see those bumps of snow which could cause a nasty accident. best to be safe than sorry. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When i first started the rep told us all sunglasses were the devils work and everyone should where goggles, these days i still have the same pair stuck in a pocket of my jacket, but they only really come out if the weather is really bad (which thankfully never happened last year.) Rest of the time its sun glasses all the way!!! only thing to be careful with when whareing sunglasses is sunburn, at easter i ended up really burnt around my eyes from where my new sunglasses covered less of my face than the old wrap around ones.
The other advantage i find with sunglasses is that feeling of speed you get with the wind rushing past your face, much more fun! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you can get away without wearing googles most of the time until you start to increase your speed (Renry I think I remember you saying you have practised a lot at a snowdome). I hardly wore them for my first 3 weeks or so - even when the snow was falling, I found that my sunnies did the job at my slow speed.

However, I agree with muttley and believe that they should always be carried.

Quote:

if you get lucky you won't even need em and so will be £30+ richer

I can't agree with this. Buy in resort if it works out cheaper - BUT, buy before you get on the mountain and in a situation when you might need them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renry, When I visted the Snow Show last week in Manchester they had some goggles that were a cross between a goggle and glasses. Fitted against the face with a foam seal, two seperate eye shapes like glasses, but with an elasticated strap. They were very comfortable because of the strap system, rather than ear pieces that sometimes rub against the back of the ear with all those layes of head/neck clothing. TK Max have reduced price Trespass goggles, and although they are not one of the best brands, they are double skinned and worked fine when our son's used them last year. I don't think you need to pay a furtune, like most things, often you pay for the branding rather than the product. Just an average double skinned pair should do the trick, but I wouldn't want to just rely on ski glasses, far too cold when the wind gets up and you are hanging in the air on a chair lift!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You should wear a helmet which means you have to wear goggles... unless your one of those Val'D types who think a burnt orange one piece is a good look.. Wink

Sharon - sounds like your describing Wiley-X ballistic glasses.. which a lot of people won't appriciate the style of, although are apparently very comfortable - and they're proven to stop metal fragments travelling at several hundered mph from IED's; although I'm not sure what use that feature might be on the slopes!

Paying just for the brand? In some cases - although I still stand by my belief that the only people who say that about Oakleys are those who've never owned a pair!

As a side comment - if you have a relative/friend in the Armed Forces and want a pair of Oakley goggles/sunglasses; ask them to order them for you as per the "Armed Forces Discount Booklet '05" if they haven't used their limit up (possible on Sunglasses; unlikely on Goggles) - as they get 20% off..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IanB, My goggles are Oakleys, and they scratched the first time I wiped them clean with my gloves!! The glasses/goggles I saw were just cheap fashion ones really, so don't think they would have been up to spec for industrial protection, but they felt comfortable and are perhaps an alternative for those that feel goggles are a bit claustrophobic. As the research is still out on the benefits of helmets for recreational skiers, I will wait a while longer before I think about buying one. As for the burnt orange, my god, is that what they wear in France these days!!??? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a voucher from the ski show - so popped into S&R today and tried on almost every low to mid priced goggle in the store. I wanted a flat light lense, and after looking at the more pricey Adidas model which did fit quite well, settled on the Oakley A frame with persimmon lense (spare lenses are £30 so not too bad if they ever do get scratched. They really do fit like... errr... a glove? I have a smaller framed face and these leave no gaps at the edges for spindrift to blow into. Can't wait to try them out!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hi folks,

I always wear goggles in flat light/snowing, but now need ti wear glasses most of the time. Went to S&R in Birmingham and tried on goggles that fitted over my glasses. felt quite ok but does misting up then affect both goggles AND glasses Puzzled
snow report
Sharon - thats a shame about your Oakleys - although the iridium lens coatings can be a bit delicate. As for Helmets - no one can convince me they're a bad idea, I still can't get over the fact that it's the "irresponsible" young'uns leading the change with Helmets!

As for burnt orange - I had a particular individual in mind who I encountered on the Funival in Val'D - thought it he'd make an "amusing" quip at a snowboarder who'd, rather intelligently in my book, decided to wait for the next carrage rather than cram into ours of "you should buy some skis".. to which I chipped in - "and YOU should buy a new outfit.." - to which he looked rather unimpressed coming from a "fellow" skiier.. Very Happy

..of course.. I was one of "those type" who ski over from Tignes... Wink
snow conditions
Brian T, My hubby wears varifocal glasses and this has been a problem when skiing up to last week, when we discovered that he could wear soft contact lenses (they can last a day, week or month) for reading and long vision at the same time. It seems the best way of reproducing varifocals in contact lenses is to have a long sighted lense in one eye, and a reading one in the other, and the brain works the two out to work together. Unless you close one eye, you can't tell which one is which, so for the first time in 5 years, he doesn't wear glasses now! So there will be no fogging up and he can read with ordinary sunglasses on! They do make varifocal lenses, but the optician says they haven't really been successful.
snow conditions
sharon1953,
Don't know about that but I use daily lenses. The prescription does not have to be so precise as long as its good for sports and certifies or whatever by your optician. I am about the get this years lenses sorted so would NOT contemplate skiing in glasses. They are too expensive to lose/break and dangerous in the event of a crash plus no messing around with prescrition goggles or special UV finishes on the bins.

Unless you aren't able to wear contacts I can't see why anyone would wear galsses to me..!!

Sunglasses in good/bright light and goggles in poor vis or snowing..!! Anything else is too much of a compromise IMV
snow conditions
I have ordered these Bloc gogg's

I hope they will do the trick.

Name: Shimmer SM2
Brand: Bloc
Frame Colour: Silver
Lens Tint: Gold
£20.00
snow report
They look good value - well done.
snow report
Got three pairs of goggles, including Oakley Wisdoms. I prefer the Smiths as they seem to be clearer in most conditions. I mainly wear sunglasses but must admit I would have struggled without the goggles in a whiteout last January. I think most people who go to France prefer glasses but have a pair of goggles with them in case of heavy snow. I guess powder freaks wear goggles most of the time as the last time I tried it the snow went everywhere.
latest report
Renry, look really nice and I assume double lensed?, I think I can see the top vents. Where'd you order them from? Please let us know how you get on with them.
snow report
I got them from here guys

http://www.vision3k.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=85004

The Bloc Shimmer ski goggles. The masque features a double anti-fog vented lens carefully designed for all disciplines of winter sport. The double lens air system creates constant and regular air flow through the lens chamber, whilst filtering moisture and snow particles to maximize vision and performance.

any order over £10 p&p is free Blush
ski holidays
Renry, I notice they charge more for the red ones. I guess that must be the "in" colour this year, bit naughty if it's the same product! But they look good, Bolle do some reasonable ones too, they always appear in our local Costco at this time of the year with Head ski gloves!
snow report
Oh - I had some bloc high altitude shades with the leather side pieces, they were cheap and lasted for many years of hard use.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy