Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to ski with babies in tow!!??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have to say, don't bother, we tried last year, wife had a boring time in the chalet whilst I suffered from conflict of interests and guilt on the slope. This year she is sending me off on my own and she is going to centerparcs with her sister and kids...everyone a winner! snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're not a lot of help though are we. I guess we're too busy looking at the skiing to see what other activities that non-skiing little ones could do. Also, most places are covered in snow, so there isn't always a lot to do that isn't snow related.

There may be more for you to do if you are based in a town rather than a small ski resort. Chamonix may fit the bill as it is quite an active centre with things to do, http://info.chamonix.com/infoEnfantsEn.php. There is good skiing along the valley, intermediates will enjoy it all. There is a train station should you wish to explore further afield (also with a mountain rail-line). Not exactly English free though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martski, I'm the wife that likes skiing so if anyones off to centre parcs it'll be the husband!!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
adance. welcome, and I'm glad others failed to notice your feminine nature before I made my usual mistake.
We too took our kids (now 13 and 16) on skiing holidays every year - breast-feeding, nappies, toddling, learning to ski, the lot.
And the best arrangements were just what you are planning: sharing the care with another family.
We've tried creches and nannies, but friends are best.
When they were youngest we stayed in Nendaz for four Easters, renting a "chalet" (=house) through Interhome. Lots of space and a garden. The best place had a playroom as well (unfortunately no longer in the Interhome brochure).
Our routine was one couple left during breakfast to ski the morning, then return for lunch and take over childcare for the afternoon while the other couple went skiing. This even worked well in Nendaz where the best skiing was at Siviez, a 20 minute car ride away. Before the kids were skiing all day, the gardens in Nendaz were a real bonus, allowing the kids to romp around outside and not stay cooped up all day.
We continued in subsequent years with large apartments in Verbier and Belle Plagne, but by then the kids were skiing most of the day and just needed lots of space to charge around in.
The key thing with kids, I think, is space.
And don't worry about transfers. We drove, so the transfer was 600 miles. Story tapes, Harry Potter, and more recently DVDs on a laptop, all make the journey whizz by (for them anyway). When we recently flew to Canada, Tom and Rosie mentioned they missed the car journey!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If only Centerparcs had the foresight to open a new site high in the Tarentaise ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
some interesting things emerging here, especially the assumptions and family divisions of labour. Whatever kind of holiday it is, surely both parents should take their turn at childcare? Did your wife do all the childcare, martski? Did she never get to go out on the slopes, whether or not assailed by guilt? Your solution of separate holidays is often a sensible one - we did that sometimes in the past, taking it in turns to look after the children. But I note that your wife is going to Centre Parcs with the kids.... whereas you get to go without them. Even if she is (like me) a devoted parent, she would no doubt enjoy a week away whilst you looked after the kids? For the cost of a week at the exorbitant Centre Parcs she could probably do something really tasty. If skiing is not her top choice, maybe a warm beach, or a health farm?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, good pub chat but what's this got to do with the questions asked by adance ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
adance, see the other thread but I would recommend Puy Saint Vincent with Ski Esprit. I would guess the transfer would not be too bad from Turin (we always drove). Also it is not too Brit infested. The resort is nice and compact and has a sledging area with inflatable barriers.
The 3 year old could try ski lessons there as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adance, received an email flyer from Ski Esprit this morning with details of some special offers - haven't looked at them though

Esprit Offers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro wrote:
In my experience Europeans are much more child friendly than the British, and far more welcoming of them (e.g. in restaurants etc.)

That is because, in general European kids know how to behave when they are out with their folks and their parents don't leave them to run wild.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith wrote:
If only Centerparcs had the foresight to open a new site high in the Tarentaise ?

I think it is called Arc 1950
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
masmith wrote:

I think it is called Arc 1950

ooh! Where is that saucer of milk smilie wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
Ray Zorro wrote:
In my experience Europeans are much more child friendly than the British, and far more welcoming of them (e.g. in restaurants etc.)

That is because, in general European kids know how to behave when they are out with their folks and their parents don't leave them to run wild.

Quite! I had aspirations of running a child friendly restaurant in the UK, You know the style + free use of computer games big climbing frame in the garden video's for the smaller one's a kiddie membership club with offers to encourage them and Mum and Dad to come back regularly.

Dropped the idea within the first 3 months!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adance, I would avoid everywhere in February, if you want to avoid brits and general mayhem...I am slightly biased, but I would recommend Puy Saint Vincent, Winner of “Best Family Resort of the Year” – Golden Ski Award 2004. It's very family friendly with 2 good garderies, 2 jardins des neige and other kiddies apres ski facilities too. Transfer from Turin is not too bad...about 2-2.5 hours. If you want more info on what's around in this area try here http://www.alpsun.com/skiing_en.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy