Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two unenthusiastic first time skiers - which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Not convinced about the "limited terrain for beginners" - if you;re a total beginner, all you need is one bunny slope. Ok, so the slopes are at the top of a gondola, but so are the ski lockers so you can go up and down in regular shoes and leave your gear up top.

Still, it's only a suggestion, and there are other good suggestions up there
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richjp wrote:
I would never recommend a large resort for beginners of any age...
Abso-friggin-lutely!

Also, the smaller the resort the less likely you are to get people huhneing about and frightening beginners.

I'd avoid staying somewhere high as this is going to add to the pressure (!) on a not-so-young body too.

Take the opportunity to try out a really tiny place. If you can manage to ski off-piste then you'll still find something new every day. Otherwise, make up some other objective so you don't focus on the limited space.

If you could bear it, Albiez-Montrond would be perfect or just possibly Pralognan.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
huhneing about

Laughing Laughing

I've always seen "hooning" before, but that's so apt...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

if you;re a total beginner, all you need is one bunny slope

only if you're a particularly useless beginner. A reasonably able beginner having decent lessons would appreciate the opportunity be able to travel a bit, use a few different lifts, with different easy ways down, and visit a few different restaurants with different nice terraces to sit and enjoy the view.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

A reasonably able beginner having decent lessons would appreciate the opportunity be able to travel a bit, use a few different lifts, with different easy ways down, and visit a few different restaurants with different nice terraces to sit and enjoy the view.

pam w, agree but that deosn't have to mean 3V, Espace Killy or PdS where lift passes are expensive to reflect the (claimed) high mileage available.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro wrote:
My immediate reaction is don't do it!!

You won't be able to ski together
At that age they will learn very slowly and they will be more likely to sustain an injury
You won't be able to ski as much as you would if you went away without them
They will blame you if they hate it (or if they injure themselves) and your friendship will suffer

Will this immediate reaction to your photos soon wear off?
Try to put them off.
Take them to a dry slope so they know what they are letting themselves in for

Good advice, they also need to know the sun doesn't always shine in the mountains!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

that deosn't have to mean 3V, Espace Killy or PdS where lift passes are expensive to reflect the (claimed) high mileage available.

indeed not. Though Courchevel 1850 is a great place to learn, if you're not on a budget. I can also think of very small resorts which would be useless because of not having enough long gentle slopes for people just off the nursery slope.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Give Isghl a try great hotels and an older than average age in the resort. Modern lift system and most chairs have plastic covers and one even has heated seats Smile

Runs are pretty relaxed, the mountain resturants are clean with good food and the main gondola up the mountain is a hop and a skip from at least 8 good hotels.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I learnt (as a total beginner) in Les Deux Alpes, which is a reasonably big resort, but I didn't feel I was missing out by not covering enough mileage. I seem to recall spending two days down on the nursery slopes, then we were up the mountain and I LOVED it! I think we got the gondola down every night though, rather than the green run of death.

Alpe D'Huez is also great for beginners, so many greens. Crowds can be a problem though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2 wrote:

pam w, agree but that deosn't have to mean 3V, Espace Killy or PdS where lift passes are expensive to reflect the (claimed) high mileage available.

Each to their own. I'm very glad I was taken to La Tania on my first trip. The sense of achievement I had when we skied over to VT was immense and I loved being able to visit different resorts for lunch. For me the 3V lift pass was worth every cent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

If youare going to a hotel it is also worth pointing out that many decent hotels often have very reliable shuttle busses that take you directly to the lifts.

...and not just hotels or even very expensive chalets - Inghams offerred an excellent chalet shuttle service in Meribel this year that changed my view on the importance of slope side accommodation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would recommend L'Espace killy! It is excellent for beginners! The mountain is so well connected, there are lifts ans free buses everywhere. You can stay in the beautiful village called Le Fornet which is much cheaper and still has access to the whole mountain! Le Fornet is also an area of blues and greens and you can't really go wrong!

There are also loads of other things to do in the town of Val D'Isere which is a short free bus ride away! If you want more info just ask! Carly
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peisey/Vallandry in Les Arcs? Good spa hotel, friendly instructors including new gen for excellent private lessons, reassuring wide blue runs through the trees. I'd imagine a lot of the smaller austrian resorts would also be worth a look - but can't think of anywhere right now I've stayed that doesn't involve buses/walking....Agree with selva also - didn't stay there but in arabba round the corner (not recommended walk+steep) and was impressed when passing through.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jennyski, They should definitely get some lessons before you go (before you book?) and then at least they will have an idea what they are letting themselves in for! I agree with comments above that they should go to group lessons - it's far more fun to learn in a group when everyone is as bad as you! This will leave you free to ski and they won't feel they are holding you back. You can do some runs together after lessons and you will have lots to talk about. I would suggest also that working on general fitness is most important - learning to ski is far more strenuous than skiing after you have learnt - all that getting up and falling down and tension is very tiring. It doesn't have to be the gym. Cycling, swimming whatever is easiest. And definitely go March or even April to get the better weather. Ellmau maybe?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stayed in Dolonne the other side of the river in Courmayeur and it was a 5 min walk to the gondola. Although I do agree the beginner terrain is very limited but the town, food and spa are excellent.
latest report
jibber, Is that terrible old cabin lift still there? It went from Dolonne to the Plan something. It was made of tin, yellow, and they locked you in with a bolt and the lift men put your skis across the door outside as I remember. One of my skis became dislodged one time and we couldn't get to it, window was fixed did not open, so had a nervous trip down (not much snow in late March that year) it was hanging on by its brake, and it ultimately fell off as we came/bumped in to the lift station! Luckily didn't hit anyone! But still better than the crowded big gondola.
snow report
No, thank god!! Its a pretty modern system nowadays with 6/8 person cabins (skis inside). That old lift sounds horrific - would have put our beginners off before they had even got to the top!
latest report
sugarmoma666 had the best idea IMHO - trad spa town in Italy/France/Austria according to taste.

Spud9, u troll Very Happy
snow conditions
As a complete beginner I went to Avoriaz. That suited very well but the snow was very poor in the year I went. The 3rd ski holiday I had was in Zermatt and that was where I had lessons in a group and made the best progress in a week.
latest report
This is the thing I love about Snowheads - everyone is so eager to help and give advice from past experience!

Thanks very much for all your comments. The friends in question are a couple who are pretty fit and healthy and I dont think they
would have a problem with physically pushing themselves (my friend is still doing half marathons). The reason I want to take them is that
is has been a bit of a competitive thing between us over the years - travelling, trying new sports/hobbies but due to family commitments etc
they have never been able to come before. They are big believers in trying everything that you can and it wouldnt be a problem if they didnt like
skiing - they would just put it down to experience.

We would be over the moon if they love skiing as much as we do but we understand that learning in your 50's is not easy (we were in our 40's
so not what you would call experts). Because of this we would like to make the other aspects of the holidays as comfortable and
easy as possible ie. a great hotel with good food, no trek to the slopes, minimal life queues, a nice ambiance - you get my drift.

Will look into all suggestions but welcome any others.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy