Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scarpa Maestrale RS

Poster: A snowHead
I've been told a couple of times now that my Spirit 4's are too soft and too upright for what I'm skiing and I need to either go back to Alpine or get some more appropriate AT's. I've looked at the Maestrale RS and they feel light enough for what I want, I've put my feet in them, strapped up and they seem stiffer but I can't tell if they're more ramped without skiing them.

So, I want to buy some stiffer, leanier, Dynafit binding compatible boots and hoped some snowheads that already use Maestrale RS's could tell me that they're the bees nuts.

Or whatever. Cool

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-03-13 21:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coshise pro light dyn
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Ross, I've just bought some Maestrale RS boots but have yet to ski in them. The stiffness seems comparable to my BD Factors which they're replacing. The Maestrale has two forward lean settings and the most forward feels way forward when compared to the Factors and I have these on the most forward setting. I like the way they're stiff, light and have a huge range of motion in the walk mode.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tried them on earlier in the season, comparable stiffness to Cochise 120s (which I went for), slightly less than the Factor 130 (unsurprisingly, given they're supposed to have a 120 flex). Very very nice walk mode, really easy to get into. Too tight on my insteps even in bigger sizes than I'd have wanted, sadly, or it would have been hard to choose between them and the Cochises. Probably also worth looking at the Dynafit Mercury, however, assuming they're the same as the Vulcan (shop only had the Vulcan, which incidentally is stiffer than concrete) they're a massive faff to get on/off.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
moffatross, not sure if you have seen this on wildsnow about the Maestrale RS http://www.wildsnow.com/page/3/ and there's been a few other articles on what they call beef touring boots recently - may be of interest
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone, really appreciated. Just back from Glasgow and great to see so many useful replies since I asked the question. Hadn't thought about the Technica/Cochise options, the Pro Light Dyn looks like a good compromise however I haven't happened across any stockists in Scotland (not that I've looked that hard).

There is an Edinburgh retailer selling a pair of RS in my size for a knock-down price and I'm very tempted to try them on, especially reading Lou's take @ wildsnow and seeing some of the other reviews ( http://www.gearinstitute.com/best-in-class/item/best-backcountry-ski-boots ). The one's I tried on in EB @ Breahead were a shell size up so it'll be good to feel if the correct size fit my feet. I have a feeling it could be an expensive weekend coming up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross, I got a pair to replace my Denalli XTs from Braemar Mountain Sports. Way stiffer than the XT, bit of a shock but once over that I think they are fantastic. Fit wise they feel slightly narrower than the same size Denalli but the mouldable inner has been a revalation. Even better now I've got orange superfeet beds in them. If you've not got them yet I'd say get them, the only problem I have is off day moments where I feel a bit all the gear! Well that and them being overkill and the wrong colour for Pennine skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, they are the bees nuts.

Less stiff than the bd factors and soooo light. I find them still a little stiff, but I prefer my boots a bit softer, nothing that leaving the power strap slightly loose didn't solve. They are not as bad as many scarpa boots for the high instep thing. Once you have the sequence dialed in they are very easy to get on and off plus the liners are warm. They have no boot board but are slightly ramped, I had a small heel lift fitted. I still have them on the most upright setting and might tilt them forward a touch.

Tip, unlike most boots they change sizes on the half size. Finally they are a breeze to use with dynafits as they have the grove below the tech fitting. My only long term concern is how robust they will be as everything is so light.

Recommended.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oldagedpredator, jbob, thanks, that's good news. I've already ordered mine and I'm collecting them tomorrow. I went for the same shell/liner size as my Spirits having read that they size almost identically so really hope that the fit will be just as snug. My Spirit liners are not even half-way buckled down at the end of a skiing day despite having had 50 days + use and after getting the base insert that makes the high arch flat (a Scarpa after market part to cure that well-known issue), they didn't need any further fettling with. Did you get the liners moulded for you or did you DIY in your oven ? I didn't mould the Spirit Thermo liners (they weren't the Intuition ones), but they ended up super-comfy after a week so I'm not too worried about the Intuitions being more problematic either (my feet adapt to most boots so long as the shell is right).

I very much know off days and feeling 'all the gear' too. Most of the time though, you find that other people aren't having an easy day of it either so I think it's OK to just blame conditions. wink Hoping to try the RS's (and their lean angle) out in the Back Coires @ Nevis Range on Saturday anyway. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, I had my liners baked, and all the better for it, but I do have rather challenging feet. Enjoy your boots, mine are so nice I was thinking of sticking dynafiddles on all my skis. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob wrote:
dynafiddles on all my skis

Quiver Killers are a cheaper solution and they can help you justify buying more skis instead. Wink I've been mostly skiing my (rather beaten up) Crusairs everywhere and anywhere but also hoping that the extra oomph of the Maestrale RS's will help me to love the pair of longer, fatter, QK'd Powdairs which have, so far seen very little action. That combo could give me more 'all the gear' moments too. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross, mine were shop baked, have mates who've bought the ordinary oranges off the internet as deals. Going with the shop has been worth it for me in terms of the advice and help they've given getting the fit right. There has been a bit of mold, ski, mold, ski, tweak - bingo. That's mainly due to challenging feet again - usual high arch, wide forefoot and relatively narrow heel. Keep reading stuff about using a shop with good boot fitting expertise and have to agree.

Ran them with the BD Guru and they were interesting, almost as interesting as running the Denalli with the Sentinels. Sentinel and RS though is shaping up as a perfect match.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought a pair but have only done 2 days in them, but those 2 days were without problem. Which is more than I can say for my 4 seasons on the Dynafit Zzeus boots I had previously. The RS's are much stiffer and positive. I have just put aluminium tape over the toe area of the liners as in the -15 C we had recently I got cold toes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First impressions, light as a feather and, oh so very white. Despite an identical inside shell fit , they seem longer because their 27.0 Intuition liner is longer but slimmer than the 27.0 Thermo out of the Spirits. They always squashed my toes a bit and needed the board underneath to take up volume and remove the arch hump. Even unmoulded they seem to give a very firm hold. No discernible ankle lift either whereas the Spirits were always slighty loose around that area. Not skied them yet though so can't say for sure but they certainly seem to fit my foot shape better out of the box and hope the initial comfort/fit delight isn't a false promise. Easy enough to get in and out of too, once I'd sussed out the hinging tongue folding over faff.

The BSL is 206 mm versus 205 mm for the Spirits but Scarpa have put the Tech toe pin fittings 3-4 mm further forward on the Maestrale RS's so the boot sits about a 4-5 mm further back on the ski. Hope it won't make too much difference to how the skis balance and also suspect that their stiffer, leanier nature will compensate by encouraging more forward pressure anyway. An extra 1mm is not going to make any difference using AT bindings but the Dynafits needed adjusting. Luckily enough there was sufficient adjustment to open up the toe-heel gap to accommodate this although I suspect that was more Spyderjon's foresight and judgement when installing the Quiver Killers and him noticing that the Spirit was a short gap boot. If it had been the other way around I'd be gubbed for a remount. Thanks Spyderjon Cool Anyway, relieved that they seem to fit and set up OK. Some fettling to be done with the buckles but think that'll be about it. If not, may do a cautious DIY baking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cool
snow report
First impressions over the Spirit 4 is that the Maestrale RS's ski much better in steep freshies because their lateral stiffness produce a more positive edge and go faster through deep, wind ripped powder in poor visibility without needing to pay as much attention to ski alignment relative to each other. They also have a shell which is deceptively narrow at the instep and which is not something you discover in a shop or in your living room just mincing around for a few hours. It is something you discover after you've traversed along a rough burn side for a couple of miles, poling and skating your way to a hitch hike back to the ski lifts. Ouch !! Sad

Some fettling still required.

I also remember from my French oral exam many years back that Maestrale 'est un vent froid qui descend de la vallee du Rhone' and now know that it also descends the Allt a Garbh-Coire towards the A93. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
The BSL is 206 mm versus 205 mm for the Spirits
Wow you have small feet (or do you mean 306 mm Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
D'oh, yep ... 306 mm. Embarassed

More fettling today and I think I may have found a solution. I took out the footbeds that I use in my running shoes which I'd always considered too big for ski boots, put them inside the liners and clipped in, and what a transformation !! Those footbeds are a full cm wider but counter-intuitively, they seemed to eliminate all the pressure on the arch instep and the boots now feel glove cosy and my feet felt happy. Can't wait for the weekend or a sneaky slide in the local hills this week. Fingers crossed. Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy