Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste/ On piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Banff in a few weeks time. The big question I have to those who have been previously is this:-

Are all the runs within the boundary lines of the mountains considered " On Piste" ?
I know most are ungroomed with a few that are groomed. The thing is that in Europe, generally ungroomed means "Off Piste" where as I now hear that in Banff skiing outside the boundaries in the back country would be considered Off Piste and unpatrolled but inside the boundaries is patrolled and considered On Piste? This is the latest info that I have but wondering if it affects my Current Ski insurance, which only covers me for On Piste. I have emailed them but no reply so far, as it would appear they don't cover Off Piste.....

Any more info gratefully received Happy

Andy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you're confusing things by mixing the words, although I see your insurers are hardly helping. I think insurance companies are making a lot of easy money out of people, so for sure make them define their terms. They took your money, so they should clarify what they mean. It's their business, so they should understand how things work.

Here's how things actually work...

Anything inside the resort boundary, you can ride. Some of it will look like a piste. All of it is patrolled, all of it is legal, all of it is good. The boundary is clearly marked and you don't want to go past that point unless you know what you're doing, because out there you are on your own. Stay inside the boundary, and it's good.

The concept of on/ off piste is really a European thing and I believe there it means "patrolled/ not patrolled". So you could imagine an insurer considering that the risks/costs "off piste" may be higher than those on, although that's arguable. I self insure, but if I used insurance companies then my lawyer would argue with them that the whole of a Canadian ski resort is what your ticket buys you access to, and it's all patrolled. So there's no legal difference between standing on a bit of groomed stuff and a bit of forest, so long as it's in bounds. But I've not read your contract...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is what the policy says:-

Winter Sports - Winter Sports means skiing, snow boarding and ice-skating, but does not include any other activities such as tobogganing, lugeing, hot dogging or any form of off piste skiing/snowboarding.

Dangerous sports or activities - there is no cover under this insurance for claims arising from any such activity as outlined below.
● Bobsleigh
● Bungee Jumping
● Competitive sports played in a pre-organised tournament or event
● Dirt Bikes
● Diving from heights exceeding 5 metres
● Hang Gliding
● Heli Skiing
● Hot Dogging
● Lugeing
● Motorcycling if the engine capacity of the motor cycle exceeds 125cc unless
the rider holds a valid licence which permits them to ride a motorcycle of
more than 125cc engine capacity
● Mountaineering/rock climbing using ropes and guides
● Off Piste Skiing
● Parachuting
● Paragliding over land
● Professional Sporting Activities
● Quad Biking
● Racing other than on foot
● Scuba Diving to a depth of more than 30 metres
● Ski Doos
● Ski Jumping (water or snow)
● Sky Diving
● Toboggoning
● White Water Canoeing or Rafting
● Winter Sports, as defined, unless the premium has been paid for this cover
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As you can see the definition of Off Piste is not really defined at all Sad

Andy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did you paste that list in? They can't even spell tobogganing.

Although Philwig is right, I'd pay the off-piste excess or go with an insurer that specifies that off-piste is included. Remember that the core of their business is taking your money and then finding reasons not to pay out if you claim.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep! Copied and pasted straight from their policy ......

Andy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got this reply so now happy enough with my existing cover Very Happy

"What I am willing to confirm is that this insurance policy will
provide cover if you are skiing on piste (i.e. within the resort
boundaries) which is patrolled by Ski Patrols."

Andy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy