Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez Self-Catering

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm organising my sixth 20+ people ski holiday this year and have chosen Alpe D. on 11 March. I was there once about 6 years ago when i was a very enthusiastic beginner so cant really remeber much about the place. I have a few questions if any of you guys can help??

1. Anyone know of any a) good cheap & cheerful and b) goodfood/expensive restaurants?

2. What are the supermarket booze prices like?

3. Has anyone stayed in Chalet Baron before (in the oldtown i think - booked with www.mountain-logistics.net?

4. I remember two bad things about Alpe D. - high winds and long queues - was i just unlucky? (went Feb 20 ish last time out)

Thanks a million guys

Anyother suggestions much apppreciated!

Kevin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
drkpower, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

I've only done AdH once, quite a few years ago, so treat my comments with caution.

1) The Altiport restaurant (I can't remember if that's the correct name, but it was at the top of the altiport before they developed the 'Altiport' area) was excellent - genuinely French, with good food/wine and run by people who really cared. Not cheap, but worth it if it's still there and run by the same people.

2&3) Can't help.

4) I suspect unlucky - didn't suffer either of those.

HTH - Alastair
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
drkpower,

Restaurant wise for cheap and cheerful try The Grove above the Underground or The Roi Larde which is great for pizza and in the old town. For a more expensive meal with really good food The P'tit Cru near to the tourist office is fantastic also Les Epiciers on the main Av Des Jeux does fantastic food and has a lovely cosy atmosphere.

The Altiport restaurant is still going strong and also does great food - it is particularly good for lunches.

Supermarket booze prices are pretty much as you would expect from a mountain resort ie more expensive than the hypermarkets yet still probably cheaper than buying in Britain! Still some cheap plonk to be found. Try the largest supermarket in the resort which is in Les Berges - will probably have the best deals.

Think you were probably unlucky with the winds when you were out before - since then they have put in a new lift up to the glacier which is supposed to be more wind friendly than the pic blanc cable car. There are also new lifts in the Les Burgers area which should help reduce queues. You will definately find the resort quieter on the 11th March that you would of in February.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys

Promising news - was weary of going totally self catering with suvh a big group but sick of havin to turn up at 730 for dinner when you are enjoying a few apres-ski pints! Sense of "obligation" to make use of the free dinners was driving me nuts!!

Kevin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
drkpower,

We are there on the 4th March next year for a week self catering too so this is useful stuff for us cheers..
Is it true there is a link between ADH abd LDA??
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As far as i know the Visalp (alpe d'huez) lift pass is good for one day in Les Deux Alpes but im not sure what the transport links are like???? I think there is a helicopter link between the two which costs about 7o euro which might be fun!!!!

Kevin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Think you can now use your Visalp pass for two days in LDA and they do have a direct bus service that runs between the two....believe you need to book, which can be done from the Palais de Sport reception area. Helicopter does also link the two....think if you get a group of 4 together it works out to be quite resonably priced.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can be lots cheaper getting a couple of toasted foccachias in the evening and taking them on the pistes for lunch rather than always doing full meals during the day:) There is a little side street that has a good toastie cafe above and to the right of the Irish bar and pizza place on the main street halfway up the resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah@alped'huez should be around with more info.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Alp d'Huez twice in 2000. It was a great resort, and one I definately will return to.

I stayed in a chalet hotel and then a self-catered apartment. My tip for self catering, was to get a takeaway Rotisserie Chicken ( probably a few for a group of 20 ! ) and you could also get takeaway Tartiflette - so a good easy dinner that worked out pretty cheap!

Now, we did take the helicopter over to Les Deux Alpes and it was great - they drop you off half way up the hill ( first station on the Jandri Express I think. ) and pick you up from the same place. So not helisking but good fun - my first time in a heli !

We were three guys and I think there were another few people in the heli ( probably held six people ? ) - i think I paid around £25 / £30, I don't recall it being a unreasonable cost at the time. The only frustration was that the weather came in during the day and we were forced to take a bus back ( 20 min heli ride, 2 hour bus ride ! ). One of those things and just worth bearing in mind if you do decide to take the heli.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richie_S, are you eligible for a partial refund in such circumstances?

Sounds worth it though - don't think I'd fancy the bus
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
drkpower, Have we already spoken?? - Its a small world! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Au Petit Creux is easily the best restaurant in resort. Expensive, but both food and service match the prices.

Chalet Baron ......... isn't that the one Airtours were marketing as Chalet Nicole? In which case it's most charitably described as chap 'n' cheerful.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Lizzard wrote:

...chap 'n' cheerful.

Cheerful chap? Or a misprint?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, Yes it is Chalet Nicole marketed by Airtours - It has since been bought by a private investor and I am overseeing the fairly impressive make-over it is receiving - just ordered 5 leather sofas, lost a couple of bedrooms to make the others larger, separate dining room, ski and boot room with boot heater etc... Great position in the resort jsut 50m from the lifts and 100m from shops, restaurants, bars and such (thanks for the opportunity for a plug!!!!!!!)
and just a couple of mins from The P'tit Creux which is probably the best place in town and not too out of the way in terms of price. For the best Fondue in town it has to be Fondue en Folie in the Ours Blanc Arcade just next to the ice-skating rink.

There is an Intermarche supermakert in the Bergers area whilst not huge it does offer better prices.
snow report
sarah@alpedhuez wrote:
Lizzard, Yes it is Chalet Nicole marketed by Airtours - It has since been bought by a private investor and I am overseeing the fairly impressive make-over it is receiving - just ordered 5 leather sofas, lost a couple of bedrooms to make the others larger, separate dining room, ski and boot room with boot heater etc... Great position in the resort jsut 50m from the lifts and 100m from shops, restaurants, bars and such (thanks for the opportunity for a plug!!!!!!!)
and just a couple of mins from The P'tit Creux which is probably the best place in town and not too out of the way in terms of price. For the best Fondue in town it has to be Fondue en Folie in the Ours Blanc Arcade just next to the ice-skating rink.

There is an Intermarche supermakert in the Bergers area whilst not huge it does offer better prices.

Hi just a thought.... when i was looking for an apparement in the summer i went to http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk if you are marketing your chalet as SC might be an idea to put it on there too.... and the leather sofas sound nice!
snow conditions
Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look at their site.
PS The leather sofas are a bit nice too!!
ski holidays
Thanks all for the advice - and particular thannks to Sarah who ive booked the holiday with!! Any other ideas appreciated???!?!?!?
snow conditions
Cracking resort - done it a couple of times now and had really good holidays.

For eating L'Origan serves great pasta/pizza, Pinoccios is a personal favourite and Smithy's does really good Mexican at reasonable prices.

The skiing is impressive, although some runs immediately above the village near the mid station of the DMC have a tendency to be busy at times. We particularly enjoyed L'Alpette when everywhere else was busier.

Have a look at the reports in Where to Ski and Snowboard (no plug, I'm just an avid reader) - they are spot on.
latest report
HI Sarah

Good to hear of the changes you've made to nicole, I went there about 3 years ago with last choice and much of their service was shocking. They'd outsourced the catering to NBV so we had a couple of pimply 18 year old guys who were more interested in going on the lash than sorting out some decent cooking - every meal the portions were rubbish. The sofas sound great... we only had comfy chairs for around 10 of us and we had 21 staying there (a bit of a squash!). Is the hot tub still there on the back deck?

Drkpower - ADH is fab for mixed abillity groups - make sure you take everyon on the 'scary chair' that goes under the airport runway. I would point out that I think Sarahs being a little economic in terms of the ski in/out potential of the chalet. Yes there is a lift out the back thats probably 75 m away, but its quite a steep downhill to it, (i.e u/s for beginners) and it never seemed to run when were getting up in the morning (for ski school) the other option is a 3 minute walk to the bucket lift which is ok, but is incredibly slow. I reckon you need to allow around 20 minutes to get to the slopes if taking this option.

Oh and the record for the 'dmc run' was set by one of our group at impressive 6m 55s. Rules were exit the DMC at the top station take your time from the first post on the right, down to the last pylon of the DMC. Choose any route you want.

Enjoy- the night life is pretty good here too!
g
snow conditions
bertie bassett, did you not find the little slipway about 75m beyond the chalet on the right?, this is then an almost flat 50m slide to the chairlift where there are never any queues! You can ski back to within 75m again on an almost flat run which brings you out behind the St.Laurent building.

We now rent the chalet out on a self-catered basis although there is a 40 year chef in resort who can cater if required - fingers crossed we have it all covered.

The hot tub is still on the side although the trees are now well over 2m so quite a bit more privacy now - hoping next year to move the jacuzzi round to the front of the building on the ground floor for it to be more south-facing - but thats a little project along with the sauna!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy