Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Risoul or Vars? Montgenevre?

Poster: A snowHead
Driving over at Easter. First time driving, and going from Scotland. We're leaving booking a resort till nearer time to see what snow is like, but trying to narrow down choices a bit. From another post I did on here I was recommended Risoul, we had already looked at accommodation in Vars, so wondering which resort folk prefer?

We are 4 adults, one 6 year old. 6 year old may or may not get lessons, but can ski with us ok. Not looking for lots of nightlife, couple of bars / restaurants would be fine. We like stopping on the mountain for beer/hot choc break, and for lunch.

As the resorts are linked for skiing, I guess it is what resort is best for everything else. We'd prob take a day off, so if there was something that would entertain the 6 year old on a day off skiing that would be ideal. Also son will be turning 6 while on holiday, so ideal if any child friendly restaurants, that he would enjoy for his birthday.

Another thing I will consider is which is the easier drive? Thinking of the mountain road.

Another resort we're considering is Montgenevre, we were in Claviere last March and loved it.

Feel my head is getting overloaded with information, on resorts, drive times stopovers etc Need to try and get some things sorted!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilly28, it's a long drive, down there. There are a good many resorts which would cut a fair bit off the journey.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Risoul many times & love it. Great skiing for all abilities & the link with Vars has some beautiful runs . Plenty of mountain restaurants but quiet nightlife with few bars. Have to agree with pam w however, it is a long track to get there. We've only ever done it with a TO & transfers which took about 3-4hrs from either Turin or Grenoble.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Gilly28, it's a long drive, down there. There are a good many resorts which would cut a fair bit off the journey.

Argh!! Thought I was getting somewhere as well It was recommended on my other thread and I said I was driving.

Looking at various sites I have various time of Calais to Risoul ranging from 7 hrs 50 mins to 17 hours!! Michelin comes in at 11 hours 44 mins.

We reckon we'd consider driving around 12 hours from Calais (not all at once), obviously the nearer the better, but not wanting that to dictate where we go.

Help!!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilly28, well, however you look at it, it's a lot further than many resorts in the northern Alps! Some of the websites give you the driving time, assuming you can drive to the speed limit, others factor in stops. What's it supposed to have that other places further north don't? What were your criteria? (can't remember)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Michelin comes in at 11 hours 44 mins.

When I looked at it, it said 9.45 to Risoul and 7.34 to Flaine. But that will be without stops, and assuming you are able to drive to the speed limit. In practice it would take a fair bit longer, depending on how often you stop.

So it's at about 2 hours extra driving each way - which is a lot, unless there's some good reason.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I drive to Serre Chevalier regularly. Vars is lovely, but quite a hike from us in Serre Che. Nothing wrong with driving to the Southern Alps though, I think it is the best place to ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've skied Risoul three times at Easter and always found it great and good snow. It is further than the northern resorts but on the other hand we've never had a problem with traffic which we always finds tends to slow things down a fair bit especially going into the Tarentaise and Three Valleys,
Coudln't comment on pros and cons of Vars v Risoul as have only skied down to Vars a couple of times, I think the snow tends to be a bit better on the Risoul side late season . I don't think there is a huge amount to do apres-ski in either, I'd suggest staying somewhere with a pool!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would second Southern Alps as being a great area to ski. We drive from Newcastle, but often get the ferry from here to Ijmuiden (Netherlands), and then have a stop around Dijon, and drive with two little ones (5 and 2). I think Serre Chevalier is really good with children - lovely pool in Briancon, the old part of the town is lovely for a wander and a crepe, depending on snow, a drive up to Nevache can be really pretty for a little walk. Nice choice of restaurants in resort villages and old part of Briancon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bailliesmiths, we've never done the Ijmuiden crossing, as we still need to take an extra day off work to be at the ferry port by 4pm check in. We may as well spend that time driving to Champagne. As a Serre Che regular, I totally agree about it being great for kids.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, we have often reflected on that, although with two little ones, we need until about 4pm to pack the car. The ferry does use up more time and we eat into our annual leave more, but maybe worth it for us as the ferry means a bit less time in the car for them, and more time to make sure i am suitably fed, wined and horizontal before there are any significant waves. Might be worth it if driving down from Scotland, depending on starting point?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bailliesmiths, we even have family in Ijmuiden, but then that would delay our journey to the Alps even more.
Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We skied Risoul at Easter with the kids several years ago and found the constellation named apartments quite nice and right next to the piste. Lovely area for kids to learn to ski with great beginners area. Kids enjoyed sledging in the evening and we could see them from the window. Nice bread and bakery delivery to appts each morning / evening and enough places around town to eat / drink.
Being late season snow got a bit soft in the afternoons but then just got in the car and went off sight seeing. Nice market in the town below Risoul and worth the 20 minute drive down in the morning. We flew to Nice, drove up with a hire car and the had a couple of nights in Nice at the end so can't really comment on the drive over from UK.
If looking for a closer destination then would suggest Portes d Soleil - one of the ski mags is doing a feature on driving to ski and I think Morzine came out as closest resort for UK drivers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all!!

Serre Che, now I would really like to go back there, it was our first ever holiday, but was pre kids, and funny how you say it is good for kids (don't know why but I used to think it was pretty raving!! LOL I prob led a sheltered life!)

Ok, I did listen to what Pam was saying and thought perhaps we should stick to more Northern areas with it being our first time driving, and we've only ever driven as far as just South of Troyes before, then you all come and sway me again!!!! Also think it is only another couple hours to go to more southern resorts.

Couple of questions we have had (I know I may have to do a separate thread for some but I'll start here) - Ste Foy, we were initially really keen on, it sounded lovely, but then researching more, I was wondering if it would not be enough for close on two weeks, for intermediates? We don't go off piste and from what I could gather from various posts it seemed great for beginners, and others would not be disappointed due to the amount of off piste, which we won't use.

One for Pam - Les Saises, when I looked at accomodation, it all seemed to be in the lower down area (can't recall the name, but I think where you own). Just wondering if it may not be possible to ski from or back to apartments at that time of year?

Ok Flaine - really like the sound of Sameons and Carroz, but due to time of year, again would we have trouble with ski to door and be better sticking with Flaine?

I take it Austria is even further (geography sucks!)? As we'd prob be driving via Geneva picking up friends but that's not a given, so wondered if Austria is quicker, if via a diff route.

As for the ferry, we did discuss it, decided against it for couple reasons, but this time, mainly due to the fact we can set off early doors Frid morn (frm Glasgow) and get the tunnel mid to late afternoon on the Frid, and make some headway into France before a stopover, whereas the ferry, we wouldn't start the drive on the other side until Sat morn. If we could have managed the Thurs ferry we would maybe have done it.

Head keeps coming back to Morzine, as we were there 2 years ago, but in a very mixed group of beginner boarders, intermediate skiers, 3 year old at Piou Piou, one skier having some lessons. Due to the extremely warm weather that Feb, the lessons were done on the Avoriaz side, but PP club in Morzine, so it was all a bit disjointed and we couldn't ski much together or get the most out of the resort, so it does seem a good idea to try it again, plus with the new water park place in Avoriaz, would be good with the wee one for a day off. Then, my head comes back to how we like smaller quieterl resorts (Pila, Claviere, Foppolo - although Foppalo very small, only do that for weekends).

There really is so much choice!!! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gilly28, most accommodation in Les Saisies - by a long way - is in the main village, at around 1600m. My apartment is in Bisanne 1500 - the other side of Mont Bisanne. I shall be there at Easter, as we have a big family/friends get together - we are renting all the apartments in a building at the bottom of the Rosieres chair. There are no guarantees about snow, obviously, but I have skied there till mid April for ten years. A couple of years ago the snow was terrible, all over that area and Les Saisies closed a week early, about the end of the first week of April, IIRC. By then all Chamonix except the Grand Montets was also closed, as were many resorts. But that was pretty exceptional. Generally there's no problem skiing back to any of the accommodation in Les Saisies or Bisanne 1500 in early April.

Many visitors would prefer to stay in Les Saisies rather than in our area, which is very quiet. There's more choice of bars and restaurants, shops, and all that stuff. There's a big range of accommodation available - most of it will be a bit less "ski in/ski out" than ours, but it's a smallish place, nowhere is far from the lifts.

The low part of the area, Hauteluce, would not be advisable at Easter. Les Saisies' main area is the most snowsure area for a long way around.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Gilly28, most accommodation in Les Saisies - by a long way - is in the main village, at around 1600m. My apartment is in Bisanne 1500 - the other side of Mont Bisanne. I shall be there at Easter, as we have a big family/friends get together - we are renting all the apartments in a building at the bottom of the Rosieres chair. There are no guarantees about snow, obviously, but I have skied there till mid April for ten years. A couple of years ago the snow was terrible, all over that area and Les Saisies closed a week early, about the end of the first week of April, IIRC. By then all Chamonix except the Grand Montets was also closed, as were many resorts. But that was pretty exceptional. Generally there's no problem skiing back to any of the accommodation in Les Saisies or Bisanne 1500 in early April.

Many visitors would prefer to stay in Les Saisies rather than in our area, which is very quiet. There's more choice of bars and restaurants, shops, and all that stuff. There's a big range of accommodation available - most of it will be a bit less "ski in/ski out" than ours, but it's a smallish place, nowhere is far from the lifts.

The low part of the area, Hauteluce, would not be advisable at Easter. Les Saisies' main area is the most snowsure area for a long way around.

Thanks Pam, will have to have a proper look at the accomodation then, it does sound a nice place - you obviously think so or you wouldn't have bought. What resorts are nearby say within an hour driving, just incase we decided to drive somewhere else for the day? We don't particularly need anywhere to drive to, as we enjoy a beer or two, but it could be an option since we will have the car.
snow conditions
It's well worth driving to Les Contamines - not to the main village (that's a schlep, through Megeve etc) but up the Hauteluce Valley to Bellville, where a gondola and a chairlift take you up to the Col de Joly, and the top of the LC skiing (the top is the best, especially at that time of year where it would normally not be worth skiing down to the bottom)

If you want to experience a really small French resort Areches-Beaufort is also worth a day out, an interesting old village and a very different "feel" to the skiing. Apparently very good off piste and touring possibilities, though I've only skied on piste there.

Megeve is also less than an hour's drive, but normally Les Saisies would have much better snow than Megeve at that time of year.
latest report
Gilly - if you are still considering Montgenevre, the Hameau des Airelles apartments are good value and the pool is fun for children.

We have not yet been to Risoul/Vars - the apartments all look a bit basic and lacking in decent pools/spa areas and I like a hint of luxury on holiday. The skiing sounds good though. If I were in your position there is no way I'd drive there from Scotland on your first drive to the Alps. We drove from the south east to the Maurienne Valley last summer stopping overnight in Dijon and that was enough for us. The snow is looking very deep in some of the Northern Alp resorts at the moment so hopefully there will still be a good covering at Easter.

Maybe you could consider the following:

Sainte Foy for one week and La Rosiere for the other
Les Carroz/Flaine
Les Saisies - there is a choice of apartments in the main village which seems fairly snow sure. Some of the linked areas like Crest Voland might not be so good at that time of year so it might be better to spend one week in Les Saisies and one week somewhere else.

We went to Aquariaz in Avoriaz the summer. It has a lazy river, an area with fountains, buckets of water, water pistols etc, climbing wall/tarzan swing and the best bit was the half pipe..which your little one might find a bit scary! It is quite steep but we really enjoyed it. There is enough to do there for an hour or two but not a whole day!! As is often the case in France the pool/ was not that warm.
snow conditions
snowymum, Thanks for the input. We don't really want to be changing resorts, we really just want to settle in an apartment and that is us. Yes wouldn't want to spend a whole day in a swimming pool, but if we took a day off, it would be something to do with the wee one for an hour or so.
latest report
Gilly28, there are several lots of apartments with swimming pools in Les Saisies.
snow conditions
I might also add that if I were you I wouldn't book accommodation for Easter too far in advance. If it turns into a really warm spring you might want to head to somewhere like Tignes or Val D'Isere. Or Les Deux Alpes.
latest report
Gilly28, From experience I would say that a couple of weeks in St Foy would be too much if you are not interested in the off-piste. It's a great place but the piste skiing is limited and the lift-pass doesn't give a huge discount at neighbouring resorts.
We've done several dual resort trips , it's fun trying two different places over a fortnight but packing up and relocating in the middle can be a pain.
We've always enjoyed Puy st Vincent which is a smallish resort but with plenty of differing pistes to keep one occupied and the lift pass includes days in Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre and Alpe d'Huez which I think is great value. Serre Chevalier itself might be worth looking at also, a big area but smallish villages, the top village has a thermal spa etc and Briancon is worth a visit.
Although we love Risoul I would agree that the apparments aren't the fanciest around although the ones we stayed in (through Erna Low) did have a swimming pool.
Of course you could try somewhere like La Tania, small family orientated village with access to huge skiing area. That's where we are off to this Easter, it's lowish but the gondola soon gets you up to 2000 metres so not really an issue.
If you haven't booked yet I would recommend looking at Erna Low or Peak Retreats, we've always found them v good and the Flexiplus upgrade on the Eurotunnel means that you don't have to stress about getting to the tunnel on time. I know on a standard ticket they will put you on another train if you miss your slot but the wait can be a few hours sometimes and with Flexiplus it's pretty much arrive and drive straight on. A very useful service if it's part of the accomodation package but not sure it's worth the fairly hefty price hike if you're buying eurotunnel tickets seperately.
ski holidays
Quote:

A very useful service if it's part of the accomodation package but not sure it's worth the fairly hefty price hike if you're buying eurotunnel tickets seperately.

only at peak times - Easter shouldn't be too bad.
latest report
pam w, surprising how many people visit other parts of France at Easter though.
snow report
If you drive through the Frejus tunnel, Montgenevre is not a big hike. Plenty of accommodation over the Easter week. We tend to stop off over night on the way down as doin it in one go is quite tiring (and that's from London). Have you considered the train? TGV from Paris to Oulx?

If you stay in Montgenevre the ski pass gives you a day in Serre Chevalier, Puy St Vincent, the Milky Way, Alpe D'Huez and Deux Alpes. With the car you could really take advantage of these free ski days.

Always make sure you have snow tyres / chains / socks with you (socks are much easier to put on than chains) as although in April the roads are generally dry, snowfall changes everything.
ski holidays
Hi
We are flying into nice next easter and plan to drive to risoul - can you give advice on a couple of things:
car hire company
shortest route to drive
how long does drive take
things to do other than ski in risoul
cheap acomodation if decide to stay in nice area for last day or two
sorry for the shopping list - hope you can help
thanks
Keano
snow report
keano16, not a lot to do in Risoul apart from ski (not that I found, anyway). Skiing's great, mind.
snow conditions
keano16, I'd say drive was around 3.5 hours or so.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is a tough decision but one you maybe don't fully have to make until nearer the time when you have an idea about snow conditions.

Of the places mentioned, some of which are a fair way to drive, I've been to nearly all of them, but not necessarily at Easter. Here is my take on them.

Risoul/Vars: I've stayed in both, I found Vars had some nice apartments (Pierre vacanze - top of resort with pool, cant remember name), Risoul I stayed in a hotel. Vars is very French speaking, mostly has a handful of restaurants but a nice beginner ski area and progression runs, if that's what you need. Risoul is not really much bigger but has more UK TOs, so a little more english is spoken. It has a nice front de niege and most lifts/pistes radiate out from there, so easy to naviagate. Of the two, I'd probably pick Risoul to stay in again. Good range of pistes.

Montgenevre: Has a wider range of accommodation, links into the wider Milky Way area if needed. A little more going on in terms of activities, but still not masses. Lovely range of ski runs, lots of easy cruises, a couple of baorder cross parks, etc.

Serre Chevalier: The ski area is more spread out, although above each of the four villages feels like distinct ski areas and offers a good sense of travel. Again, a wide range of apartments/hotels to chose from and a reasonable choice of other activities, iceskating, shopping in briancon, thermal baths at Monetier, etc.

Les Carroz/Samoens: A good option in terms of shorter drive, and while not ski in/out, these resorts are still convenient for the slopes, as long as you chose you apartment wisely. Les Carroz is a pretty place, has a little town square with cafes and a nice beginner area at the top end of the village. I'd chose Les Carroz over Flaine every time.

Another option you may want to consider?
Valloire/Valmeinier - near 3 valleys so drive not too bad, good range of pistes (lots of cruisy runs), although again may be quiet in resort. Reasonable range of apartments on offer. Valloire feels quintly French, and there is a piste that goes past a donkey farm...what more could you want?

Hope this helps!
ski holidays
carettam, current enquirer is driving from Nice.
snow report
carettam wrote:
This is a tough decision but one you maybe don't fully have to make until nearer the time when you have an idea about snow conditions.

Of the places mentioned, some of which are a fair way to drive, I've been to nearly all of them, but not necessarily at Easter. Here is my take on them.

Risoul/Vars: I've stayed in both, I found Vars had some nice apartments (Pierre vacanze - top of resort with pool, cant remember name), Risoul I stayed in a hotel. Vars is very French speaking, mostly has a handful of restaurants but a nice beginner ski area and progression runs, if that's what you need. Risoul is not really much bigger but has more UK TOs, so a little more english is spoken. It has a nice front de niege and most lifts/pistes radiate out from there, so easy to naviagate. Of the two, I'd probably pick Risoul to stay in again. Good range of pistes.

Montgenevre: Has a wider range of accommodation, links into the wider Milky Way area if needed. A little more going on in terms of activities, but still not masses. Lovely range of ski runs, lots of easy cruises, a couple of baorder cross parks, etc.

Serre Chevalier: The ski area is more spread out, although above each of the four villages feels like distinct ski areas and offers a good sense of travel. Again, a wide range of apartments/hotels to chose from and a reasonable choice of other activities, iceskating, shopping in briancon, thermal baths at Monetier, etc.

Les Carroz/Samoens: A good option in terms of shorter drive, and while not ski in/out, these resorts are still convenient for the slopes, as long as you chose you apartment wisely. Les Carroz is a pretty place, has a little town square with cafes and a nice beginner area at the top end of the village. I'd chose Les Carroz over Flaine every time.

Another option you may want to consider?
Valloire/Valmeinier - near 3 valleys so drive not too bad, good range of pistes (lots of cruisy runs), although again may be quiet in resort. Reasonable range of apartments on offer. Valloire feels quintly French, and there is a piste that goes past a donkey farm...what more could you want?

Hope this helps!

Very informative reply and spot on - love risoul too!
snow conditions
I had some great lessons from esf in Risoul too.
latest report
lowood wrote:
We skied Risoul at Easter with the kids several years ago and found the constellation named apartments quite nice and right next to the piste. Lovely area for kids to learn to ski with great beginners area. Kids enjoyed sledging in the evening and we could see them from the window. Nice bread and bakery delivery to appts each morning / evening and enough places around town to eat / drink.
Being late season snow got a bit soft in the afternoons but then just got in the car and went off sight seeing. Nice market in the town below Risoul and worth the 20 minute drive down in the morning. We flew to Nice, drove up with a hire car and the had a couple of nights in Nice at the end so can't really comment on the drive over from UK.
If looking for a closer destination then would suggest Portes d Soleil - one of the ski mags is doing a feature on driving to ski and I think Morzine came out as closest resort for UK drivers.

Can you please give me advice on the best route to drive fron nice airport to risoul . Am driving up first weekend of April with wife and 3 kids
Thanks
snow report
I used to have an appartment in Risoul. I live in Edinburgh....

The best way I found was a drive to Newcastle then ferry to Zeebrugge, arriving 0800 allowing a full days drive through Belgium Lux and then Metz, Nancy,Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse etc on the Eastern autoroutes. This used to be MUCH cheaper on toll charges. You need to keep the hammer down to do it in a day, and the last couple of hours are the most tiring, but we always made it before chucking out time!

Keano16 - see other post for Nice airport directions
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy