Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot flex.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Couple of interesting points covered earlier this week regarding boot flex.

Your ski boot flex rating is going to be standardised. There are already certain manufacturers using the scale.
The flex rating of a given boot will be the measurement of energy required(N) to flex the boot through 10 degrees(angle) at 23 degrees(Celcius). I.E. Your Tecnica Diablo Race, 110,130,150,160.
Some manufacturers will then divide this by 10 to give a scale 1-10 on intermediate boots.

The Plastic used by 80% of boot manufacturers will be a French B.A.S.F. Poly-Ether. This will have a greater resistance to temperature flex fluctuations at common temperature(+5 to -5), however, between room temp and -15 your average ski boot will become an amazing 5 times stiffer.

Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That'll give everyone something to talk about Wink

Good news I guess. At least people might be able to focus on the actual fit of the boot and not just how stiff they can go. It might also make people understand that you don't need to be very stiff for high performance skiing.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, it may no longer be the case but was there any truth in the statement 'nearly all ski boots were made, and if not made designed, in one village in Italy?' Or was it just another alpine myth?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor wrote:
That'll give everyone something to talk about Wink

Good news I guess. At least people might be able to focus on the actual fit of the boot and not just how stiff they can go. It might also make people understand that you don't need to be very stiff for high performance skiing.

[b]SMALLZOOKEEPER, it may no longer be the case but was there any truth in the statement 'nearly all ski boots were made, and if not made designed, in one village in Italy?' Or was it just another alpine myth?
[/b]

Yep, Montebelluna near Venice. Infact just got back from there this week.
Nordica started it all off around 120years ago and still own most of the patents for all ski boots.
In 1999 there were 176 factories making footwear there, where as now there are just 11, i think.
All the main manufacturers are still there and share factories.
All of the highend models are still made there because of quality control.
There are still little Italian men, called Guiseppe, twiddling with their moustaches as the assemble your ski/hiking boots.
Manufacturing there will slowly come to a stop a soon as the far east can meet the Quality control and once the current generation of workers reach retirement age. Thought to be another 10-15 years.
Around 45 people work on your boots before you open the box. (Never moan about the price again)
1 Mould for a pair of boots costs 80,000euros and the injection hoppers 800,000euros. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had heard that a couple of times but the facts seem to vary. Thanks, very informative, as you may expect from a keeper of a small zoo.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, very informative, thank you. Are this year's 150s last years 130s?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, very informative, thank you. Are this year's 150s last years 130s?

Yep and last years 130s, this years 110s etc. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is that also known as "deflation" and is it why my boots don't fit as well as they did? Does it become "Stagflation" when you're on a boys night out? Or is that just after the sorry tales in the morning.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And before anyone mentions, yes, black ski pants are the new black ski pants and I still don't like them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
Is that also known as "deflation" and is it why my boots don't fit as well as they did? Does it become "Stagflation" when you're on a boys night out? Or is that just after the sorry tales in the morning.

Not familiar with this term, sounds a bit of an 'Americanisim'. We are forced to advoid them in France, gets you the fresh bread!
Boots don't fit as well as they did? 1 million reasons for this; size, choice of shape and type of liner are the probable reasons. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, How are they going to rate Flexons? Theoretically they have unlimited flex (except for your own strength of course) Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, How are they going to rate Flexons? Theoretically they have unlimited flex (except for your own strength of course) Confused

Flexons no longer exist, unless you know a shop that has bought up what they can. It's nearest replacement is the Dalbello Krypton. Same princepal. However flex is measured by resistance, the flexon too had this measurement, however not sure under which parameters. Unlimeited flex, i don't understand that, it implies that it has no resistance. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Flexons are now (according to Easiski) being made again...

Yeah I know, millions of reasons. In some ways they fit better than they did.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Yes - they're still on the Kneissl website. I got what I thought were the last pair in europe last year (my 3rd pair of flexons and 4th pair of Raichles). Since then the freestylers and freeriders have been making representations and they're making them again. AFAIK their main problem in France is their useless rep!

If the measurement is a measurement of resistance per se, then I understand. I misunderstood your earlier post to mean the ultimate resistance ie: end of flex, which, of course, with the flexons is theoretically when your shins are touching your toes!! (having no buckles to block the flexion).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy