Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff ?? Anyone??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there snowheads,

thinking of going to Banff, what is it like in your honest opinion??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone?? Help ?!?!?!?!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Search the forum. I'm going there in April, and a few other snowHead have already been.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been a few times. Plus points - cheap (once you've paid to get there!), good skiing, but not perhaps on the grand alpine scale, good ski town with loads of entertainment. Negative points - charmless accommodation, buses to slopes every morning are a pain, long flight and transfer, scenery not up to alpine standards.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My opinion is that Banff is great if you want a young lively area to stay, if you are looking for peace and quiet, there are better places
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi , I went there a few years ago and thought it was great. I hired a car to get around the area, so i did all the areas, Banff sunshine - which to be honest i did not like that much and the sun did not shine when i was there. There was a smaller resort in the area which was quite good, But one of the best was lake louise and the opposite direction was nakiska which is where they held the winter games a small resort with no one there you have the area to yourself, it was great although it is not that big. The good thing about all these places is you can buy your lift passes on the day and if you only want to ski half a day thats all you pay for. I would defo go again, but hire a car to get about you will enjoy it more. snowHead

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 29-10-05 18:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mobsta007, Banff is a great place some of the best skiing I have done. The ski areas are all away from the town of banff and buses are laid on to take you to and from the ski areas. This service is very well managed and not at all like the ski buses in Europe your not squashes and there is no standing on the buses. Your skis and poles go in luggage bays under the bus. They have people to help you board the bus and put your skis in the luggage bays. The buses stop outside most of the hotels and drop you back so there is no walking involved. As long as your at the bus stops at the correct time you will get to the ski areas they ensure everyone is picked up. Some of the European resorts could learn a lot from this operation. The ski areas Lake Louise and Sunshine are very good with plenty of pisted ares and tree skiing as well as some good bowls and unpisted in bounds runs. Norquay is much smaller but has some good consistent pitch runs and some nice double blacks as well. The town of Banff is friendly with lots of good restaurants and bars to make it as lively as you want it to be. Going back for more myself this year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank you all for your advice and input , its greatly appreciated NehNeh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
going to be going on or around the 12th December, is there going to be much snow then, from past experiences obviously!! Dont suppose anyone has a crystal ball??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mobsta007, Hi try this web site www.skibig3.com. On the web cams, it looks like you could ski Sunshine now. We went last year and loved it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mobsta007 wrote:
Hello there snowheads,

thinking of going to Banff, what is it like in your honest opinion??

I'm in Banff at the mo, enjoying it but getting bored waiting for the ski season to start. Plenty of partying to be done though, painful on the bank balance mind!!!
We've had some snow here in the past week but mainly on the mountain, there was enough for a snowball fight in the back garden last weekend though! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gunni,

Thanks man. Little snow already always sounds good. I'm going to be staying at Bewsters Lodge, supposedly off the main street. Only thing I am concerend about are the ski lift pass prices , seem to be pretty darm expensive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mobsta007, They are expensive but it's worth it for the quality of the lifts and the manners whilst queing-no pushing here! I thought the place was fantastic. Lake Louise is worth the trip. Make sure you are going for at least 10 days. A week isn't enough because of the jet lag and travelling.

They have great wide runs here and although there are a lot of people around it doesn't feel like it as the place is so big.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fantastic Jack, thanks for your advice. Definitely will go and have a look at Lake Louise, sees good. Just need to buy all my new gear before I go like goggles etc. cant wait !! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mobsta007, if this is your first time going to Canada and your going during the December - early Febuary period, I will warn you that it can get very cold, when I was in Fernie last January the temperature went as low as -35, it took some getting used to! Remember to wear plenty of layers and buy a face scarf to cover your mouth and nose, ski goggles are essential. I also recommend you buy toe warmers.

I'm off to Banff myself on the 11th January, I'm staying at the Inns of Banff.
snow conditions
Jack, thinking of waiting to buy my stuff for when we have got to banff, ie.e ski goggles, I want the Oakley Wisdom ones but are on sale here on ebay for £70 which is about $130 US which is the normal US retail price for them anyway. What are the shops like in Banff , cheap or expensive?? Should I just buy my stuff over here??? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
Richard , thanks I heard about the toe warmers, just posted a question above this one about buying the gear. I am going to Banff on december 12 till 28th , Brrrrr .... - 35 !!! snowHead Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
No problem mobsta007, as you can see the cold temperatures haven't put me off! snowHead

Have a great Christmas in Banff!
latest report
mobsta, I'd buy them in Banff, at least you can claim the tax back that way so you'll make some sort of saving.

I've skiied -50 (with wind chill) at Lake Louise - the sort of cold which has you scraeming Shocked but empty runs that's for sure! snowHead
ski holidays
Thank you Alex.
snow conditions
You could also get in touch with ski independence who have passes at rates somewhat less than the price you will pay when you get there (unless the exchange rate rockets the other direction!).
latest report
Well, I've just joined here, and am off to Banff for the 5th time in December, so I'll toss in my 'lune''s worth of info.....

Cold: yes, very. But the Canadian stores have all the _proper_ kit, from decent warm gloves to neoprene balaclavas. Prices used to be _very_ competitive, but the exchange rate now ( ) isn't as good as a few years back... but for any big items you can claim tax back at the airport (remember to do this _before_ you check in, it's much easier. And don't go to the unofficial scam merchants with their envelopes, there is an official tax desk at the airport).

Transport: the buses are a pain compared to a european 'walk' to the resort.... but: they are included in the lift pass, they are warm and comfortable, the drivers are courteous and friendly... and if you are motivated, all the resorts do a 'fresh tracks' program, breakfast at the lodge/on the mountain depending on resort, then first lift up/first run down. But you have to be prepared to leave Banff at 7am..... but the skiing day usually finishes around 3.30pm.

Food: there are lots of restaurants in Banff, I've never had any issues getting into anywhere, food ranges from 'cheap and cheerful' local steaks and burgers (Bumpers), up to 'fine dining' steaks (Saltlik), thro' to top-end sushi, and the 'high falutin' (Banff Springs).

Shopping: Banff is a big Japanese destination, there are plenty of boutiques, and the ski gear shops are universally staffed with friendly, patient and helpful people. As are the resort stores, restaurants, even (especially) the lifties.... you'll realise just how far ahead in terms of 'customer service' the Canadians are.... and all without the false and insincere 'have a nice day' one can find south of the border.

Oh, and my top tip, seeing as no-one else has mentioned it. Do yourself a HUGE favour and get a day-trip to Kicking Horse resort, in Golden. It's a few hours by bus each way, but:
- the skiing is hard-core
- the scenery is stunning (Telford Mike has clearly only been to the 'most beautiful' european resorts, where there are no buildings..... I defy ANYONE to say the view across the Lake when taking the first quad up at Lake Louise is not breathtaking.... especially if the sun is just rising and lighting up the ridge)
- the restaurant at the top of the bowl at KH server very good French food.... and is frankly surreal considering it's at the top of 3 ridges.
- did I say the skiing rocks.... Last time I was there it had 1 pisted run (basically the service road), and umpteen arbitrary routes (with names like Delerium Dive, and Xanadu...) that are just routes down thro' the trees... and the POWDER!

and yes, I did really enjoy Banff! (and no , I don't work there... at least, not yet!)

I'll be there for Christmas....
ta ta
h.
snow conditions
Now that's got to be about the most informative first post I've come across, welcome aboard hamilton.
latest report
hamilton, I'll be there for New Year, will you? I'd be interested to know what festivities there are on New Year's Eve.
snow report
Hamilton,

Thank you VERY much indeed , nothing like making your first post count!!

Now I definately cant wait !!

Razz Shock snowHead too
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy