Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for late April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What a great website! I've been too busy at work to go skiing since Xmas - fab week in Les Gets, but want to go for a long weekend (Thursday 15th Tuesday 21st April).

I'm looking for a resort with a short transfer time from an airport that budget airlines fly into, with the likelihood of still great snow late in the season. I'd be grateful for suggestions from anyone.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are a few good late places within striking distance of airports:

Argentiere, near Chamonix (from Geneva)
Flaine (from Geneva)
Engelberg, Switzerland (not too far from Zurich)
Stubai glacier (near Innsbruck)
Gressoney / Monte Rosa ski area (1.5 hours from Turin)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you David, that was quick. I know Argentiere and Flaine, but the Stubai glacier looks good. Can't find too many flights to Innsbruck though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try flying BE from Southampton to Chambery. From there get a 3 Valleys transfers taxi (website) to one of the high resorts. Lots of snowheads in 3v and Les Arcs that week including me. Get rooms from local tourist office. Snow is holding up very well so far and should still be good then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, take the train and join us in Val Thorens.
Eurostar to Paris Wednesday afternoon, metro to Austerlitz, night train to Moutiers, bus to Val Thorens, arrive about 0830 Thursday for a full days skiing. Train back Tuesday night and arrive at work late Wednesday morning. Six days skiing! Howsabout that then?! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RachelQ, Are you from the rowing service? If so I used to be a part time contributer when I used to row - now I run I just browse. Great site by the way.

On the ski weekend front. I've done Flaine using Easyjet plus hiring a car and been on the slopes for lunchtime. Not sure what the snow will be like in April, but they do have a very good reputation for snow (I've skied there in late march and had good, but not great, snow), but not for accomodation which is a bit basic to say the very least! Can't comment about anywhere else. Hope this is useful
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your good advice. I've always wanted to go on the night train, but it's a bit out of budget at the moment (very expensive summer holiday to pay for!).

I've just bought 2 return EasyJet flights from Luton to Geneva for £136 and I'll wait till nearer the time to see where the snow's best and book a hotel then. Probably Val Thorens, although I've skiied there twice recently and fancied somewhere different. Is Tignes good for a few days?

Chris Reed, do you mean Concept 2? I did ask a couple of questions on their forum a while ago when I bought my rower, but haven't been back for months and months. I like the skiing in Flaine, but not the accommodation as you say. I had heard that an American ski company had bought the resort with a view to rebuilding, but nothing seems to have happened.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RachelQ, Tignes (or Val d'Isere) excellent choice.
( except we won't be there Wink )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Found somewhere eventually (not easy cos we're going this Thursday to Tuesday, not for a full week).

Staying at the Chalet Mouflon in La Rosiere (courtesy of David@traxvax). Never skiied that area before - looking forward to skiing somewhere different.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice area Rachel, good resort choice - was there in Feb (not at David's - but did go there, and it's handy for the slopes). There are some great runs and it's definately worth ski=ing over into La Thuile, but be prepared for a couple of long flatish drags to get there (fine on the way back)!

Don't know what level you are at, but the runs seemed to be mainly blues and quite manageable reds, with a couple of blacks.

Overall, there's plenty to keep one occupied for a week, and the resort is quite pretty and compact. Have a great time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Thuile is definitely worth a day trip. There are two good blacks down to the village, and loads of cruising runs up top. The lifts there are the best I've ever known, nearly all new 4-man ones. The snow keeps well up high between La Thuile and La Rosiere.

Also, if you make an early start you can get the ski bus from La Thuile to Courmayeur which is half an hour away up the valley. Before you go check the bus timetables carefully. That is the most beautiful place I've ever skiied Smile I'm very envious...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the tips guys. Just can't wait. However many times I've skiied (and it's loads), I still get so excited at the idea of going again.

Off very early tomorrow - I'd be envious if I wasn't me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And now I'm back at work. With great memories of skiing less than 24 hours ago on near perfect snow.

Very impressed with the skiing in La Rosiere and La Thuile, especially when it dumped eight inches of fresh powder. I could see directly across to Les Arcs, and down the valley to Val d'Isere and Tignes, and it looked like fresh snow everywhere.

A perfect long weekend!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, good to know you had a good time.
If you went back, which side would you stay - La Rosiere and La Thuile?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think La Rosiere, Jonpim. We got to really like the village - very friendly people, some great bars and everything convenient. You can drive around and park anywhere (free) or the skibuses are every 15 minutes.

Our first day the Foehne wind blew wickedly and only the drag lifts were open, so we couldn't get across to la Thuile, but since visibility was so bad, we were quite happy to stay in La Rosiere. We only went all the way down into La Thuile once for lunch. Four days isn't quite long enough - but definitely better than nothing!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy