Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Bindings - which should I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Deedee wrote:
If i have 96mm wide skis, are bindings with 105mm brakes too wide?

No. The 105mm Dynafit bindings cam in nicely so they'll be perfect. I've got them on 88mm skis.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-06-16 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Deedee, that'll be fine. At one point due to quiver killers/one binding over all my skis I was using 135mm brakes on 97mm skis, and the only issue was occasionally the brakes wouldn't hold the skis together very well whilst carrying them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
@Deedee, that'll be fine. At one point due to quiver killers/one binding over all my skis I was using 135mm brakes on 97mm skis, and the only issue was occasionally the brakes wouldn't hold the skis together very well whilst carrying them.

Yep, I have the same problem with wide brakes, skis can be bit of a pain to carry Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you people Very Happy I`m planning on getting a pair of K2 Wayback 96 or Fischer Hannibal 94 and i saw a set of Dynafit Beast 14`s with 105 brakes on them. Does this sound like a good combination?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deedee wrote:
Thank you people Very Happy I`m planning on getting a pair of K2 Wayback 96 or Fischer Hannibal 94 and i saw a set of Dynafit Beast 14`s with 105 brakes on them. Does this sound like a good combination?

Yep, they'll do nicely. Which make/model of boot do you have as not all are compatible with the Beast's power insert?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
Deedee wrote:

Yep, they'll do nicely. Which make/model of boot do you have as not all are compatible with the Beast's power insert?

I`ve got these boots http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-boots-c4/ski-boots-c14/touring-boots-c115/fischer-fischer-ski-touring-boot-vacuum-transalp-ts-lite-2015-p6146
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deedee wrote:
....I`ve got these boots http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-boots-c4/ski-boots-c14/touring-boots-c115/fischer-fischer-ski-touring-boot-vacuum-transalp-ts-lite-2015-p6146

Perfect Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
Deedee wrote:
....I`ve got these boots http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-boots-c4/ski-boots-c14/touring-boots-c115/fischer-fischer-ski-touring-boot-vacuum-transalp-ts-lite-2015-p6146

Perfect Toofy Grin

Will i need a special adaptor for them?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Deedee, yep, but the adaptor (Dynafit call it a Power Insert) come with the Beast bindings for installation in your boots when the bindings are mounted.

The Power Inserts replace the existing tech inserts in the heels of your boots. Some boots (ie Black Diamond Factor & the Atomic Backland) aren't compatible with the Power Insert.

Most non Dynafit brand boots will also need a bit of fettling to the underside of the boot sole below the toe inserts to avoid any rubbing of the sole when the boot pivots in skinning mode & to ensure an easy click-in etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
@Deedee, yep, but the adaptor (Dynafit call it a Power Insert) come with the Beast bindings for installation in your boots when the bindings are mounted.

The Power Inserts replace the existing tech inserts in the heels of your boots. Some boots (ie Black Diamond Factor & the Atomic Backland) aren't compatible with the Power Insert.

Most non Dynafit brand boots will also need a bit of fettling to the underside of the boot sole below the toe inserts to avoid any rubbing of the sole when the boot pivots in skinning mode & to ensure an easy click-in etc.

Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got myself a set of Fischer Hannibal 94 and Dynafit Beast 14`s. I`m slightly concerned about tales of broken bones with pin bindings. Should i be worried my toes will be stuck in them? Not too late to change my mind and get different ones.

rolling eyes Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not at all, the Beast is one of the safest pin bindings out there, (if not THE safest) imo....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Deedee, no need to worry at all. Disregard all internet reports re the safety of pin bindings 'cause they all refer to older designs that were skied with their toes locked in skinning mode and not the new breed of designs like the Beast 14's which are superb and ski like an alpine binding.

If you really want to get anal then there's a slightly increased chance of a fracture but there's a reduced chance of a soft tissue ACL/MCL injury as the boot releases laterally at the the heel as opposed the to the toe - but as the number of soft tissue injuries far outweigh fractures I'd much rather be in a tech binding.

You can prove the toe release to yourself by clicking your boot in the binding and then rotating the heel until the boot releases at the heel. Then simply continue to rotate the boot a tad and the toe will automatically release.

The only time you'd be at increased risk is if you ski the Beast with the toe locked which you shouldn't/won't be doing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers folks Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got someone to fit the bindings on. Sticking with the beasts.

Another question. Any recommendations for skins/crampons? There are specific skins for my skis but they didn`t have great reviews.
snow conditions
@Deedee, With crampons you need to get ones which fit as closely to the width of your skis, without touching. If there is a Dynafit crampon which is the right size, I would go with that.

With regards to skins, it depend on what sort of skinning you are intending to do. If you are climbing for powder for short periods (1-2 hours), then I would go for grip over glide, as you are not as concerned about efficiency and it makes climbing easier. Look at nylon skins. However, if you intend to go on day long, or multi day tours, then the glide efficiency becomes more important. Look at mohair or mohair mix skins.

I'm in the shorter climb group, so favour skins like G3 Alpinist and G3 High Traction, both of which have excellent tip/tail connectors.
snow report
Or for really fat skis the Atomic multifit rocker skins work well, very light, mohair and a big rockered slidey patch on the front to lessen friction.
ski holidays
Deedee wrote:
I got myself a set of Fischer Hannibal 94 and Dynafit Beast 14`s

Tried these out indoors this week. Was a bit strange trying to turn them at first but it might just have been because i hadn`t skied since last winter. Got the hang of them pretty quickly and didn`t notice any difference in using the pin bindings from my usual ones. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Deedee, where are you located and where did you get your Beasts?
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
@Deedee, where are you located and where did you get your Beasts?

Glasgow. Can`t remember where i got them. Online somewhere earlier in the year when they dropped the price. Got them fitted by one of the local shops.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy