Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snow Centre - Learn Snowboard in a Day or Accelerator session

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm off to L2A in April, by myself,and will be staying in a UCPA centre - with 12 hours lessons for the whole week.
I'm thinking of learning teh basics before I go.
The nearest indoor snow is the one in Hemel Hempsted, they do a Learn snowboard in a day (levels 1-4) course (£159), which 5 hours on the slopes. They also do a 3 hour course accelerator course (levels 1-2) which costs £89.

What do you guys recommend I should do, (I've never set foot on a snowboard or ski before).
Has anyone done the two said courses, what did you think?

Thanks

sn00boarder Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sn00boarder, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I think I'd do the shorter course, in your case. It'll give you a really good start without getting you too far ahead if the others in your group are total beginners.
It's cheaper than the full course, and when I did a similar all day course in Milton Keynes I was aching so much, a couple of days after (DOMS) that it was genuinely painful to prop myself up on an elbow in bed and reach for my glass of water. Laughing

Even 3 hours could leave you a bit stiff and sore, in part from the inevitable crashes and in part from the unaccustomed movements. So make sure you do it a couple of weeks before your holiday. Then do lot of stretching of all the bits that are stiff!

If you can, get wristguards and impact shorts. And this book/DVD is great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amz07b-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1359191466&sr=8-1

Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What pam said Smile I haven't done it at hemel but the all day courses are pretty brutal, and not necessary given you'll be out with ucpa.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sn00boarder, welcome to snowHeads, good pun on the name but hopefully not a n00b for much longer!! I have not done either of the courses but if you have never done any sports like this before go for the shorter one or you'll be too shattered to get home at the end of it.
Also another YES for impact shorts and wrist guards. Other half never boards without them. Having said that though, my other half is a massive wuss.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, for the suggestions, I think ill do the shorter course Very Happy

Any suggestions for wrist guards and impact shorts, i know the prices can be a bit high but dont want to spend too much.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sn00boarder, Plenty of cheap alternatives for wrist guards and shorts on the well know internet tat bazaar - you should be able to source both and get change from £30.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sn00boarder, have you looked at the Milton Keynes options too? One very good point in its favour is that MK has a travellator on the beginners slope wheras HH has a rope tow. This might not sound like a big deal but if you are doing a lot of short runs (which you will be) a travellator is a lot easier on the arms.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

sn00boarder, Plenty of cheap alternatives for wrist guards and shorts on the well know internet tat bazaar - you should be able to source both and get change from £30.

Any particular brand? or should i go for cheap and cheerful?

Quote:

sn00boarder, have you looked at the Milton Keynes options too?

MK is a bit further away from me, but i take your point Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
little ms spock, I couldn't deal with the tow rope. I just carried my board back up the slope after every run Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take a look at what decathlon have for wristguards etc if you are in london, they tend to be super cheap.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, Decathlon gear is very good value - can't really go wrong there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little ms spock wrote:
sn00boarder, have you looked at the Milton Keynes options too? One very good point in its favour is that MK has a travellator on the beginners slope wheras HH has a rope tow. This might not sound like a big deal but if you are doing a lot of short runs (which you will be) a travellator is a lot easier on the arms.

It's a really good point. I did the day course and yes, my body hurt from the boarding but it was really the pain from my arms from the rope tow that caused the most problems.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sn00boarder, wrist guards aren't expensive - recommend the Red ones with protection over the back of the hand rather than a rigid bar along the palm. Can't comment on the impact shorts, never tried any.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy