Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Study suggests snowboarding linked to increase in injuries on the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
When snowboarders were allowed on the slopes at Taos Ski Valley in New Mexico, injuries rose by 13 per cent in 2 years. The research, published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine, reported that, while the increase was small, it was statistically significant. It was due mostly to an increase in the kind of upper body injuries that are most common among snowboarders, while the incidence of lower body injuries that are most typical among skiers remained constant....Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/21/snowboarding-linked-to-injury-rate-rise-on-slopes-study-finds/?
Study abstract: http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/01/16/0363546512472045.abstract?sid=0bbfabe1-c0fb-4551-a2a4-5d1a64698269
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another useless study... rolling eyes

a recent study showed that the sudden increase in hospital cases, specifically relating to wrist and hip injuries..coincided with the recent bad weather! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gatecrasher wrote:
Another useless study... rolling eyes

a recent study showed that the sudden increase in hospital cases, specifically relating to wrist and hip injuries..coincided with the recent bad weather & heavy snowfall Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Poxy phone! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The number of slope users rose by 22% - that alone would cause a significant increase in injuries, I'd have thought.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, clearly, if you suddenly let snowboarders in, you increase the number of people on the mountain. More targets moving in less predictable directions, more slope wear, more accident black spots, more punch-ups, more injuries. But aside from all that, it's just more fun to blame boarders for everything.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Indeed - I blame boarders for your existence, Swiller.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are plenty of other studies that show a considerably higher injury rate for Boarders compared to Skiers so this result from Taos should not be a surprise to anyone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarge McSarge wrote:
There are plenty of other studies that show a considerably higher injury rate for Boarders compared to Skiers so this result from Taos should not be a surprise to anyone.

Agree & no surprises .

In St Anton there are now way more snowboard related injurys than skier. These include neck, backs, hips, shoulder & wrists.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A recent study found a great Health and Safety inclusive community outcome if you ban snowboarders and skiers from the slopes. The accident rate falls right down. Brought to you by the same people who close schools when there is a bit of snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And another recent in-depth study of a mountain without skiers or boarders, only marmottes, discovered a zero injury rate among skiers and boarders. I think that pretty much settles it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
Sarge McSarge wrote:

Agree & no surprises .

In St Anton there are now way more snowboard related injurys than skier. These include neck, backs, hips, shoulder & wrists.

I have read this and concluded I am drunk, or stanton is, what does he mean, yes or no?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think what he means is that ... in St Anton most people are too drunk to know whether they're injured.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wasn't the increase mainly due to frostbitten back bottom injuries? wink Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A study carried out for a well known mens magazine, discovered that married men of all ages are at significantly greater risk of developing a phenomenon known as..."drone ear"

Test results also showed that long term sufferers learn to adjust in time by filtering out the endless barrage, by taking up hobbies such as golf, fishing, drinking etc etc.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The number of slope users rose by 22% - that alone would cause a significant increase in injuries, I'd have thought.

Well yes, but it does state in the abstract that the injury rate stated was per '100,000 mountain visists' rather than 'total injuries'. I think we should assume that the researchers have at least a modicum of common sense! Very Happy
They also suggest some reasons for their results and caveats that need to be considered.
ski holidays
[quote="aly"]
pam w wrote:
latest report
gatecrasher wrote:
A study carried out for a well known mens magazine, discovered that married men of all ages are at significantly greater risk of developing a phenomenon known as..."drone ear"

Test results also showed that long term sufferers learn to adjust in time by filtering out the endless barrage, by taking up hobbies such as golf, fishing, drinking etc etc.

I find that drinking makes it worse.
snow conditions
Snowboarders are definitely off my brothers Christmas list, he got hit by a boarder last year and broke his leg, this year a boarder left him with broken ribs, punctured lung and ruptured knee ligaments.
ski holidays
tangowaggon, how is he at the moment? Has he got back home?
latest report
Sarge McSarge wrote:

Are there any studies that reveal how much more fun people on snowboards have than people on skis? Razz
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
gatecrasher wrote:

I find that drinking makes it worse.

It works for a while.....gets much worse later on.
ski holidays
obviously there will be more injuries of the type typically suffered by snowboarders if there are more snowboarders... how daft.
latest report
TAOS was always a relatively fast skiing mountain, not exactly the best place to snowplough side to side on the pistes. I was there when they first opened it up to boarders (maybe 4-5 yrs back ?), and while most of us were in favor of 'Free Taos' (as the bumper stickers read), it must be said that from the start you suddenly had to deal with bunches of teen boarders camped out mid piste texting away. Personally I got by using them as GS gates but it was interesting seeing the two factions trying to share the mountain together.
Please note, not saying all boarders were behaving as badly but the boarding community sure did bring some baggage with it.
snow conditions
At a recent trip to Valmorel, we were confronted by a complete ski school (clinic?!?) of young boarders sitting across the slope below the brow of a hill, complete with ESF instructor! Fortunately we avoided the obstruction, and joked that this was all part of snowboard instruction, but you do wonder!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy