Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lecht chairlift derails

Poster: A snowHead
A chairlift has derailed at the Lecht Ski Centre. 6 people are believed to have been hurt. 36 were rescued....
More on http://scotsman.com/scotland as we have it.

My worse nightmare...
Scotsman‏@scotsmandotcom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oooh bug!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21434338

http://news.stv.tv/north/213745-snowsports-enthusiasts-injured-as-chairlift-derails-at-lecht-ski-centre/

(BTW moved to Snow News as that's more appropriate)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 12-02-13 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://news.stv.tv/north/213745-snowsports-enthusiasts-injured-as-chairlift-derails-at-lecht-ski-centre/

poo-poo I'd hate that, any idea what the cause was?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
More news here, not looking good, I hope they get those trapped off the chairs before nightfall
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/drama-as-chairlift-derails-at-scottish-ski-centre.1360687753
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing wrote:
More news here, not looking good, I hope they get those trapped off the chairs before nightfall
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/drama-as-chairlift-derails-at-scottish-ski-centre.1360687753

Grampian Police said in a statement: "A small number of people are believed to be injured and more are stranded on chairlifts after the incident, which happened around 15.25.

Quote:
"There are no details on the extent of injuries as yet, but the focus is currently on evacuating those injured and rescuing those who remain on the chairlift.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That is not good at all. Hopefully everyone is ok and any injuries are minor.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hopefully their maintenance was fully up to date?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slightly better news
Quote:
Six people have been injured and 36 rescued after a chairlift derailed at the Lecht ski centre in Aberdeenshire.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How was the weather? Wind?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, you can't edit posts in Snownews, I deleted your duplicate., I see your quote was from the BBC website Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic wrote:
Hopefully their maintenance was fully up to date?

Let's also hope that it wasn't a crack, al-Qaeda terrorist unit with a new directive to target Scottish ski centre uplift infrastructure wot dunnit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What does a de rail actually involve?

Is is the cable coming off of one of the pulleys on one of the towers? I'd always assumed that the chairs are bolted to the cable
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weather was not too bad ,the morning wind died down a bit in the afternoon, still cold stuck up there.aparently there were whiteout conditions later which hampered the helicopter rescue.the worrying thing was the amount of children up there today with the mid term holidays underway ,hopefully no one seriously injured.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Something Similar happened in Wengen the wind caught one of the chairs and it pulled the cable off the pulleys at one of the towers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stiv24, the chairs are clamped to the cable by a powerful spring, normally secure but I once saw one which didn't engage properly and swayed like mad.
latest report
stiv24 wrote:
What does a de rail actually involve?

Is is the cable coming off of one of the pulleys on one of the towers? I'd always assumed that the chairs are bolted to the cable

Yes, it does involve the cable coming off the tower.

Most modern chairs are detachables, which work the same way as gondolas - attached by clamps which unclamp in the terminal areas to allow them to move slower for boarding/unloading.
snow report
That is awful - I hope everyone is ok.
snow report
Hardly think the chair is a detachable, from the article it implies the chairs have been rived up the cable by the force, but that's a big assumption on my part.
ski holidays
The Snowy Owl Chairlift is a fixed grip Poma tripple. Several chairs stacked up behind the tower before the haul rope fell, but it's not clear what the sequence of events were. Whether the cable had derailed from the sheaves prior to or as a result of the carriers stacking. Other lifts appear to have stopped moments before this happened according to the various reports.

Hope the injuries are not severe and wish everyone a speedy and full recovery.
snow conditions
The Daily Record reports 5 children and 1 adult injured, the injuries not thought to be life-threatening.

More tragically it also reports a hillwalker killed in the Cairngorms, at Coire an t-Sneachda.
ski holidays
Direct link to the article at the Scotsman.

Disturbingly, on the BBC article a photo is posted which seems to show the battery of rollers rotated 90 degrees. This is rather similar to the incident on a fixed grip chair near Wengen, where the mechanism to prevent the roller battery from overrotating failed, causing the cable-catches to loose the cable. (FYI: I did ride on that chair after it came back in operation the next year...)
snow report
Two people have been released from hospital this morning which is hopefully some good news.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy