Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone seen any good deals on Snowpulse or ABS airbags??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Still looking to get a small 15-20 litre avalance airbag pack of some sort.
Un-decided on the make, but
Anyone seen any good deals out there.
I can hang on till the end of feb, so may catch something in the end of season reductions.

The mammut RAS rocker 15L seems to be the cheapest at the moment (about £480 with a full bottle), but reviews and feedback on it are hard to find so a bit nervous about spending that kind of cash on a realativly new product that i dont know much about.

I think I really want the Snowpulse Prorider 15l, size, design, perceived quality and on lift compactness all seem to fit the bill but for some reason this year they are way, way more expensive than the competition.

Cheers

Phil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think this is just what you are looking for Smile

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95691
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There were loads of cracking deals round Christmas time. Bit late for that, so it might be best to wait til the end of Spring. Now is not really the time to be looking for cheap stuff wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serriadh wrote:
There were loads of cracking deals round Christmas time. Bit late for that, so it might be best to wait til the end of Spring. Now is not really the time to be looking for cheap stuff wink

I'm guessing you are referring to the 10% of at Wax & Edge and the 13% of at Blue Tomato ??
Kicking myself if didn't make use of them but online shopping on Christmas Day is frowned upon
in our house for some reason, that is unless its the wife on the M&S site Very Happy

Might try some of the European online stores and hopefully win a bit with the exchange rate.
Would prefer to buy local (uk) so if any trader on Snowheads wants to PM me a deal feel free!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
qwertyuiop7, I don't think this is a decision you want to make on price!

I'm sending you a PM...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
qwertyuiop7,

I looked into this in a lot of detail last season, including talking to a number of guides.

The cheapest place I could find was www.snowsafe.co.uk.

I settled on ABS.

Comfortable to ski with and diff. Pack options.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BCA Float 22 at € 455 / 425 with loyalty card - http://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/hiver/securite/systeme-de-securite-avalanche-et-respirateur/airbag-float-bca/sacs-a-dos-compet-avec-systeme-de-ballon-gonflable-airbag-bca but France only delivery.

This deal was pre K2/ BCA deal so I dont think its a sign of things to come.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The mammut RAS rocker 15L seems to be the cheapest at the moment (about £480 with a full bottle), but reviews and feedback on it are hard to find so a bit nervous about spending that kind of cash on a realativly new product that i dont know much about.

OK Mammut are going to shoot me after they find out I have written this.

Some of the Mammut RAS bags are very good, the however is that on some of the smaller bags the Rocker included then the construction I believe is not strong enough to hold together in a real use situations.

The main bug I have about some of their bags is the crotch strap which is attached by a plastic male female type clip! I do not think this is strong enough to hold in a real avalanche, also to be fair to Mammut there are lots of other "fashion" brands of airbags that use a similar setup on the clips.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have my Rocker RAS on my lap. ALL failure crucial buckles are metal (nice red anodise on most). Construction is first rate and very HD.

One plastic clip is the one that joins runs across your chest to stop the shoulder straps slipping. It has a nice whistle included, and is identical to the buckle that ortovox use. it will take my weight handing from it

The small adjustment buckles that set the height of the pack above the shoulder straps are also plastic and look plenty strong enough for the job. If they fail it wont make any difference to the security

Crutch strap looks pretty robust with triple stiching and reinforcement where needed, and just has a loop you thread the waist strap through. Ali buckle at rear to adjust it

I've no worries on the build quality of mine at all, it will do the job very well and is on a par with the Dakine Helipro and the Ortovox freeride it replaces. its also low volume with low chairlift snag potential

When I was looking to get my airbag I looked a lot at the snowpulse units as I like their bag shapes, but the backpacks were flimsy and looked less nice that the Mammut ones. Too many straps and bits to catch on chairlifts

I ruled out ABS due to the stupid bag design. I want my top end to float and my head to be protected
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Crutch strap looks pretty robust with triple stiching and reinforcement where needed, and just has a loop you thread the waist strap through. Ali buckle at rear to adjust it

If yours has just got a loop then that's good, and would agree totally as the RAS Ride bags have a loop, the smaller bags I have seen have a plastic clip not a loop and that was the part I was referring too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski wrote:
Quote:

the smaller bags I have seen have a plastic clip not a loop and that was the part I was referring too.

which ones ? My BCA float has a loop also - is it the ABS ones?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
madmole, mishmash,

OMG sorry guys what have I started here Shocked

When I looked at some of the bags around, "some" had a plastic buckle on the crotch strap thats the only thing I did not like as I felt it was not strong enough the rest of the clips etc are fine and was more than happy with them, I could well have been looking at pre production stuff.

If this seasons Rocker bags have a loop then cool, and I agree totally that this is the correct method of attachment.

Sorry if I am causing confusion, it was not my intention.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ooo err missus ... not to worry!!!

FWIW mine looks "bombproof" (unlike the chest clip which looks dead flimsy) but ease of use looks diff/unhelpful for repeated on / offs so I have bought 2 x of the cheapest/lightest (but "rated" ) karabiners with a view to trying to create a clip in/out system . I m in an area with a lot of "no rucksack" ski lifts ya see.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loop on my Mammut ride 22.... as said , just fancied joining in Smile

SnowShepherd pretty keen on price for airbags imo.

Btw how much are your snowpulse refills Tim, i'm dying to give the handle a pull ??

I'm the guy who collected Ras bag & skiis pre Christmas, etc. Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ABS vario for me. Got the 15l one for day stuff. Bomb proof design, tried and tested and no problems on chair lifts. Have now had mine since 2008. Also allows me to simply attach the 45l bag for touring.
ski holidays
Peeps, have a brand new Snowpulse ProRider15 Airbag Backpack for sale. Bought it a couple of years ago but unfortunately never used it as I always ended up using my friend's bag since we never managed to synch on our trips. It is brand new with the canister boxed and even has the tag attached to it. I never even put it on (other than checking it out in the mirror). Let me know if there is interest and happy to discuss offers.
snow conditions
Hi@sonale, please feel free to forward me any pics and details; I may know of a non-sh who may be interested.

Nick
ski holidays
Quote:

Btw how much are your snowpulse refills Tim, i'm dying to give the handle a pull

CHF 20 here to refill the Mammut/Snowpulse canister
latest report
Sport conrad has good price for the abs backpacks just now. Obviously need to weigh up the pros and cons of nitrogen gas being used etc
latest report
n1ckster wrote:
Hi@sonale, please feel free to forward me any pics and details; I may know of a non-sh who may be interested.

Nick

Nick - Looks like if you're being down a crevasse one cannot pm you - and you also don't like emails rolling eyes

Drop me a pm with your email address or email me and will send over the pics.
snow report
I bought one of these recently - good discount on last years model

http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/abs-vario-base-unit-abs-backpack-l/
ski holidays
Hi @sonale, not sure what's haopening with my email/PM's; my ISP has taken upon itself to blacklist email from snowheads, hence why I'm down a crevasse.

My email is nick dot trigger at gmail dot com

Please forward me the details.

Thanks in advance
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy