Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is Austrian for "no pepper or spices"?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We are going Ellmau in a couple of weeks (half board). My wife has a severe allergy to pepper and spices and just a small amount will make her ill for at least 24hrs (unskiiable-ill)
I would like to request for no pepper or spices on her food when we order. I would like to order in Austrian to ensure they understand (and in hope that they listen to me as I have tried to learn the request)

I have tried on line, but cant get a free Austrian translation. Do they speak German??

Could someone supply the Austrian translation for "no pepper or spices"

(Please supply the correct translation and not a mess-about translation - this is really serious for my wife so I dont want to be swearing at the waiter and not know it)

thanks for any help
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tell them in English that she has an allergy (it is almost the same word in German). Their English will be light years better than you mangling the German and getting everyone confused.

The food may turn out to be fairly bland as a result though
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Samerberg Sue, Ive just googled German-Austrian and I need to know Pfeffer and Paprika (as well as Danke!!) Ive emailed the hotel to check this will be fine (im sure it will be...they must deal with this on a regular basis) I will go for English but say please, thank you in Austrian (in order for staff to like me!!) Wife is used to V plain food, so Im sure she will cope if it allows her to ski.
thanks again for advice!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford, Paprika are the green and red peppers, or the spice obtained from cayenne peppers. Tell them in English that she is allergic to spices and pepper and let them sort it out. Google translate is most certainly NOT your friend in these cases. Spices are Gewürze and herbs are Kräuter. Pfeffer is pronounced without the P.

It is still always good to reiterate in English with the hotel and also the restaurant manager on arrival and for you to be the food taster if in doubt. Pfeffer and spices come into many of the sauces, marinades and coatings used in Austrian cooking. Lay it on thick and they will take care to prepare her food completely separately from the rest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks. will bear that in mind. Good idea to speak to restaurant manager when we arrive. Thanks for advice on Paprika and silent P snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I worked in France with a guy who had a peanut allergy, he carried a small card in his wallet that he pulled out at every eatery we went into.
It stated the nut allergy and and asked if it was ok to eat here. It was in English, French and German.
Also he would ask for it to be shown the chief as the waiters may not know for sure.
Maybe something like that would help.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also in German you pronounce W like an English V and a final E is sounded ( a bit like the final A in paprika).

However, if you are doing this off-piste his helmet may make it difficult for him to hear you in any case Little Angel

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-01-13 14:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paprika means peppers, as in the vegetable. Do what sue says, they'll speak excellent English, and will be less confusing all around
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
Paprika means peppers, as in the vegetable.
Yes, paprika is made from (sweet) peppers though there is a slightly hot version.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why is this in Off Piste?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi wrote:
Why is this in Off Piste?

because hot peppers can be really gnarly.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for all replies. We'd actually be OK with Paprika (red peppers) just the powdered stuff. Card is a good idea. WIll look into at weekend.
maggi, I put this in off piste as didnt have a clue where to put it. Doesnt really go in any ski forum, but I knew I'd get some replies from people. Off piste seemed the most suitable...not really a snow report
wink
thanks again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a reply back from the Hotel (sport hotel ellmau) - they have advised the chef of the allergy and made a note on the booking. V quick reply and reassuring to hear they have made a note about it (posting this in case anyone else going there and has an allergy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy