Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Spa / wellness

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of any spa / wellness / beauty treatment facilities that can be found in Mayrhofen, we have booked a week away leaving on Saturday i will be spending most of the time on the slopes, but my partner has decided to spend most of her time relaxing.
I have looked into the hotel Strass next to the Penken lift, but on further investigation she does not fancy being told to get naked and so I am looking for any other hotels or facilities that she could use.
Thanks for any help on this Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All of them involve getting naked - no swimstuff in saunas/etc in Austria. She can wrap a towel around herself if shy though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looked up the local public leisure facilities, they do a non nude sauna there, funny how Brits have a thing about going nude, if she can wrap up in towel that might be ok for her.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been a couple of times in rather nice hotels in Austria and never 'got told'. Wear whatever feels comfortable. People will stare a little but then maybe that's just cause I'm ugly.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It may be just the Hotel strass that insists on a naked only policy, supposed to have great wellness facilities too, I tried to say to her when in Rome and all that...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite a few of the hotels have rules that officially require nudity. Most don't enforce it unless somebody else complains.

The public facilities are more likely to enforce it - I have seen a couple of people kicked out of the one in Ellmau for wearing costumes.

But whether it is enforced or not, nudity is the norm in almost all Austrian wellness facilities - it is unusual if the local public one has a non-nude sauna.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mayrhofen public leisure facilities have 3 Finnish saunas, one of which is non nude, wonder why someone would complain what does it matter what you wear or don't wear for that matter?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
protosaurus wrote:
Mayrhofen public leisure facilities have 3 Finnish saunas, one of which is non nude, wonder why someone would complain what does it matter what you wear or don't wear for that matter?

Most Europeans think that costumes in a sauna are unhygienic. Plus if they are German (quite common in Austrian ski resorts), they might just be sticklers for the rules.

And while I agree with you that it shouldn't matter what you wear or don't, one will certainly get complaints if going without in most UK saunas Sad

I imagine the main reason they have a non-nude one in the public facility in Mayrhofen is the number of (prudish) Brits around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
protosaurus, I have stayed in the Strass and all the spa facilities are naked. I got a lengthy explanation as to why - but basically hygiene. You are allowed to wear a cossie in the main pool but that's all. It's a lovely spa though. Actually, I'm fine about going naked. But only if I don't know anyone there Laughing ,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Done a bit of searching the internet on the subject of going nude in Austria, it appears three nationalities are the least likely to get naked, the Brits, Americans and Italians. It also appears larger spa facilities such as large public ones will have no nude facilities, but will strictly enforce the no clothing policy in nude areas.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
protosaurus, There is a 2nd Spa in the strass where they do massage, facials, all that lady type stuff that is not as strict on the nudity thing. It is really nice and Mrs Fattes loves it.

The main public one with all the Sauna's and its own pool and steam rooms is nude but like most ladies just wrap a towel around and she will be fine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, the Strass does strictly enforce the naked rule and I one saw the sauna frau walk up behind a guy wearing trunks and helpfully whip them down for him. For once, he wasn't a Brit, but it was hilarious. It's a big sauna so there are places where the shy ones can hide away but the steps down into the big cool-down pool and Jacuzzi make them absolute oggle-fests:

It can get very busy and I'm pretty sure they close it to non-guests however.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh yeah, and when those floors get wet they are lethal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Oh yeah, and when those floors get wet they are lethal.

So I suppose the onlookers get a vivid nude demonstration of the phrase "arse over tit".... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
She will get more stares if she wears swimming stuff than if she goes nude. There's nothing sexual about it, if that's what she's worried about.
snow report
Quote:
but the steps down into the big cool-down pool and Jacuzzi make them absolute oggle-fests

and that is why in general the Brits have such a bad reputation in the sauna areas. It is just plain rude to stare at people's bodies. It is acceptable to make eye contact, but along with giggling and wolf whistling, appraising other people's bodies is distinctly frowned on although what goes on in your own head is obviously up to you. Just don't let people see you being childishly judgemental! Any way you do not know what they are thinking about you - sure as eggs is eggs they are not in agreement with you that you are a pocket Venus or Adonis!

Wet floors are dealt with by wearing the slip-on type of flip-flops (I have Addias ones which also massage the feet as I walk around). They are both a useful thing to have as well as a more hygienic method - how many people have picked up nasty foot infections from swimming pool? I know I got my first ever verruca from a swimming pool in Cambridge. I always wear flip-flops when walking around the public areas of swimming pools and sports facility changing rooms.
Ladies, instead of wearing a towel wrapped around you, most hotels have bath robes which are way better for the spa areas. I have a bath robe I use along with the rest of my swimming gear and it is put back in my swimming bag after it and the rest of my kit has been washed. The bath robes have the advantage of keeping closed because of the tied belt and the pockets are great for things like books, iPods, glasses and jewellery. The only time you actually have to be totally nude is in the sauna or pools. In the saunas you have to sit on your towel and it should also be under your feet. In the steam baths, it is normal to wash the seating down with the cold water hose both before you sit down and after you have finished. You obviously take care not to shower anyone still sitting in there at the time, but if you do a quick "sorry" is a univerally understood apology.

As for the public sauna areas they are separated from the general swimming/play pool areas and many have a no children under 16 rule as well, so these places are an oasis of calm and relaxation. The Amadé Therme seems to have a lower age limit but no unaccompanied children are allowed into the sauna areas in any of the places I have visited.

The nudity thing is easily overcome - the first couple of times you feel embarrassed at first but after a few minutes you realise that no one is actually looking or gives a damn and you relax. My first time in an Austrian/German type sauna area was with a big party of friends and that actually helped me to overcome my initial embarrassment.
latest report
Quote:

and that is why in general the Brits have such a bad reputation in the sauna areas.

It really isn't just the Brits and you are stereotyping there. The Strass attracts lots of Russians, Irish, Dutch, Italians and others and I see sauna etiquette lacking from all and for lots of different reasons. The Germans tend to be the ones trying to keep all in line but there is a general lack of knowing what to do going on and people would be better off in an Austrian public sauna if they want better behaviour.

Trouble with those floors is that most don't wear slip-on things and you regularly hear the slap of someone hitting the deck.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
there is a general lack of knowing what to do going on

Why don't people just ask the staff? That's what they're there for!
snow report
maggi, actually it's easier than that, there are always cartoon-style signs that explain how best to sauna. Or just copy those who look like they know what they are doing.
latest report
Bode Swiller, I usually find that if I just say, "Do you speak English?" I get a fully comprehensive description of what to wear/not wear/why this is, for all areas Laughing .
ski holidays
Swim suit off the list - I'll be a very well informed guest at the Strass on Feb 2nd. Thank you snow heads Laughing
snow report
You can't beat a good Aufguss after a day's skiing. For those that don't know this is a must-do session usually running in one of the sauna's every hour or on the half hour. The Sauna is opened for a few minutes and cool air wafted in using a towel by the sauna attendant. The door is then closed and a sign hung on the door - if you want to avoid the wrath of the Germans then NEVER open the door once the session has started, particularly from the outside (if you have to dive out because you are about to faint etc then you may get away with a few years of derision). Water or ice is then ladled on to the coals usually containing some form of nice smelling additive (lemon, honey, eucalyptus etc). The attendant then whizzes the air around the sauna using a towel before blasting the hot air straight at you. More water is then ladled on and the whole thing is repeated 2 or 3 times at which point everybody breaks into simultaneous applause and says "Bravo". Then head for the shower and hit the cold water before getting a drink, typically water or fruit or herbal tea and relaxing in the quiet room.
All in all a great experience and a fantastic sweat following a day skiing.
snow report
downhillalltheway, tried that out at the Oetztal Aquadome (well worth a visit btw, could spend a week there quite happily) last week, was bloody horrible! Normally I'm pretty good with heat/saunas, but I just couldn't handle it. They served chorizo and cheese after, which was definitely not what I needed at that point in time!
snow conditions
Scarletgirl, take the swimsuit for the pool after the sauna.

protosaurus, many saunas also have a 'ladies only' session if she is anxious.

Samerberg Sue, agree. I saw an excellent leaflet in the Südtirol explaining all the 'rules' with cartoons. The basic ideas seemed to be that it is simply unhygienic to get dressed (in a swimsuit) to go in a sauna, and 'no sweat on the wood' so sit on the towel - no skin contact with the wooden seats.

Aufguss is taken seriously. The PBBWUW in Kronplatz is not that far from Cron4 leisure centre where they hold international Aufguss competitions.
snow report
Thanks for all the replies, some interesting reading here Razz
ski holidays
If you are looking for a good spa I can recommend you the Sacher Spa in Vienna:

http://www.sacher.com/hotel-sacher-vienna/sacher-spa

It's not in Mayrhofen, but I had a really good time there.
snow report
spa(m) Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy