Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Selva?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello. A group of us are planning a trip second week of January and Selva in Italy has been mentioned. We are a mixed bag of levels from early intermediates to experienced skiers. Have any Snowheads skied at Selva and if so, does it come recommended. The other resort suggested was Les Arcs. How would they compare?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beverley, Do some searches in this forum for Sella Ronda, Dolomites or even Arabba and you should get a good deal of information on the area. I have not stayed at Selva, but have skied there many times as it is on the Sella Ronda circuit. In short it is a fantastic area for ambiance and scenery, there is a lot of skiing for intermediates who like to put lots of miles under thier skis. Better skiers do have options for steeper stuff around Arabba ( where I would stay ) and there is a lot of off piste including the Val Mezdi which you should get a guide for.

I know Arabba is fairly quiet and Italian, I have heard that Selva is more lively and more Germanic.

By the way: I love Les Arcs too but you would need to specify what kind of area you wopuld like to stay in as it ranges dramatically from small rural hamlet to shoe boxes stacked on top of each other surrounded by bars, restaurants and ski shops - I will probably get slated for this description. The skiing in Les Arcs is brilliant!!

CP
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beverley, Selva can't be compared to Les Arcs. It's far lovelier as a resort, and the skiing is totally different. Easier, in the main. But the pink Dolomite cliffs have to be seen!

For big-challenge skiing I'd go to Les Arcs (where I've been about 6 times). But it would always be a delight to return to Selva (where I've been 3 times). For a bit of challenge, some of the best slopes are at nearby Arabba, on the circuit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am going to Selva at the end of February.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP wrote:
By the way: I love Les Arcs too but you would need to specify what kind of area you wopuld like to stay in as it ranges dramatically from small rural hamlet to shoe boxes stacked on top of each other surrounded by bars, restaurants and ski shops - I will probably get slated for this description. The skiing in Les Arcs is brilliant!!

A perfectly accurate description in my opinion!

As DG said, lots of challenging piste and off-piste skiing at Les Arcs, but also loads of cruisy runs above and below the tree line for beginners and intermediates.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your tips. On doing research on both of them, Selva Gardena sounds nice and probably better suited to a few of us intermediates. Arabba has been mentioned as offering more challenging runs, but can anyone tell me, realistically, how long would it take our experienced skiers to get over there? I keep reading about long lift queues.

For a bit of fun, if you go to www.garni-astrid.com and click on 'welcome' and then follow the link 'For Skiers' you get a birds eye view film of one of the home runs which ends right outside the hotel door. (I'm not techie enough to sort the link out to appear on this post!)

Still thinking about Les Arcs as to which level would be best suited.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beverley, I think a good skier would take around 1 hour. I'm not too sure that queues should be too much of a problem. The Gondola out of Selva may get busy 1st thing in the morning and after lunch - doing the Sella Ronda, I have never waited more than 5 mins at that Gondola. The thing that would take longest would be a flat (but pretty run through boulders from the cliffs above) bit on your 2nd (?) run on the way towards Canazei. The final run down into Arabba comes right out at the lifts they would be wanting.

May take longer back though as I seem to remember a few more short runs and lifts in that direction. Also the Red that needs to be taken from the top of Porta Vescova to get back towards Canazei gets heavily cut up in the afternoon - although your good skiers should enjoy that as long as it isn't littered with terrified beginners struggling through the bumps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wasn't excited about Selva when we stayed there but that was 10 years ago. The road running through he middle is a little anoying. Corvara is a much nicer resort, closer to Arraba for the more experienced with the best intermediate skiing on the Sella Ronda by far.

My order of preference would be Corvara, Canazei then Selva
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Selva has a better mix of reds and blues to Corvara which is better for the early intermediate.

Any intermediate can get round the sella ronda circuit which will provide one of the best days - oh and the pink mountains!!

I stayed in Selva 10 years ago and in those days part of the link to the Sella Ronda was a single chair (no longer)

There were some great quaint bars, clubs, bowling etc - something for everyone. Yes you have to cross the road occasionally but hey - it's not a tremendous problem.

But most important is that Selva has north and south facing runs which in March is important for snow conditions preservation.

And it has the World Cup Run.

Corvara has a well-known booted Tea Dance but otherwise seems lifeless to me when I have passed through it

For an all round resort I would choose Selva over Corvara any day (sorry Chris B)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 24-10-05 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris B, I have not stayed in Corvara but must agree it does look a much nicer resort - Did you go to the Tea Dance held in one of the nicer hotels ( Posta or something like that ) - quite an experience snowHead

CP
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris B, I will agree with you about Corvara being pretty - must be one of the most beautiful settings for a little resort. However, I will disagree on the runs. We refered to it as 'blue land' when last there. Too many short blues for my liking and too much polling if you don't schuss all out at the right time (and know you have to) etc. to get up unsuspected hills.

What I didn't like about Canzei was that both times we have been there, the snow appears to have been in the worst condition in that valley? Not sure what its predominant aspect is or whether it just gets less snow than its neighbours?

My choices would certainly be Arabba or Selva unless you really wanted the good scenery of Corvara or were early intermediates.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup the tea dance is great in the Posta Zirm and there is another great apres ski bar at the top of the Giant Slalom run down to La Villa There are some flattish runs but equallly some nice runs especially the G S run. Main thing is to get off the Sella Ronda circuit. The "Hidden Valley" is very good. Access to Arraba is good. The Sella Ronda can be a rat run and queues can be horrible, better to get to where you want to ski as quickly as possible then enjoy. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley, the hidden valley is a "must" - one of the best days an intermediate will ever have I reckon
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B00thy, You done Marmolade before? Been to Arabba 2x and never done that - on the list for the 3rd visit in march. Have heard that the Reds from the top are also supposed to be superb in terms of fun and scenery?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agavin, it hadn't opened when we went from Selva 'cause we went last weekend in Jan and it was closed on the day we went from Arabba cos of winds. So all, in all ... no!

However, I am told by friends that the view is awesome although it is bit daunting at the top for intermediates who are height conscious cos of the view although once into it there are no probs. All of them enjoyed it loads!

Have you done the horse drag after the hidden valley by the way?
snow conditions
Oh agavin, make sure the marmolada is open before you go (on the day). If it is closed the only way out is a long, long schlepp up a hill which is absolutely knackering - I know (and I was carrying 2 sets of skis which was fun)
snow conditions
B00thy, Yeah, done the hidden valley - stunning. Horse drag is fun. Lost one whole string of skiers who knocked each other over when he pulled off Laughing

Only pity was the time taken to get to the valley - waited ages for the bus from San Cassiano/Armentarola and then for a couple of cable cars. I think we went on a Saturday which meant that there were a lot of day trippers also doing it - some of them parking at the top of the pass so a lot of contention for the cable car.

Will definitely try Marmolada this March - see that both the cable cars have now been renewed/replaced and seems that a drag coming back has been replaced by a chair?
ski holidays
Any of you guys tried the small Cinque Torre ski area on the route from Arabba to Cortina? Did it once about 10 years ago and it was fantastic for scenery and peace/quiet - only two ancient single chairs though.

Did the Hidden Valley ay Lagazoui a few times, once the horses had been replaced by Skidoos - it was not the same - but was a little safer Toofy Grin

CP
snow report
It's almost thirty years since I skied in Selva however I spent a week's walking holiday based in Arabba this summer.

I had a chance to look at the ski areas around Arabba, Corvara and Colfosco and I was surprised at the number of new lifts being built some of which should be open for this winter. They also seem to be investing in snow making equipment which is good because the Dolimites seem to be a bit less reliable than the Alps for snow.

I noticed that it is now possible to ski the Sella Ronda circuit in both directions.

I always felt that the area had a lot of charm but now with all the investment taking place I think it will become a much better ski area particularly for intermediates.
ski holidays
Welcome to Snowheads richjp!

The Sella Ronda has certainly been skiable in both directions for 10 years because that's when I first went. And it has been well known for its snowmaking - more than any other resort. Did you notice if they were installing more snowmaking or improving what they have?
snow report
richjp, Yes, it is indeed possible to ski the Sella Ronda in both directions, and I belive that you can now do this without using any drags.

I was browsing through the 'Where to Ski and Snowboard 2006' and sawa list of awards in the front - of which the Dolomites was down as 'The Best Snow Making Operation'. I have certainly been there in a very lean year, and the entire circuit was still open in both directions! They seem to get there artificial stuff very good there somehow. I remember being in Schladming, and the artificial snow (of which Schladming claims 100% coverage!) was like sticky icing sugar rolling eyes

If you take a look at the http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/ website, there is a list there of all the ski-lift upgrades going on.

CP, haven't tried it, but may make the effort to go to Cortina this time, so if I do, I will be sure to try the Cinqe Torre area.
snow conditions
Im going to Selva Jan 14th and staying at Hotel Corona. I have also stayed in Arabba and Corvara with Inghams in the last few yrs and love the area. Arabba has alot of very good steep runs and the Marmolda has some great views but the run down can be tricky and icy.
Out of the 3 resorts i like Corvara the best but Inghams have now stopped going there. So Selva is the next best place and had again some very nice runs. The one from Seceda down to Ortisei is really long and good and half way down on the left there is a frozen waterfall!
Also from last season the Val Gardena Ronda Express Train opened up and it which links both sides of the valley at S. Cristina.
David
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy