Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storage wax?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We had our skis waxed as we were leaving resort last year. When we got them back, they told us they had put storage wax on them..... since we were in a hurry, we had no time to argue. Basically there is a whole load of wax on them (mounds of the stuff!). Do we simple need to scrape off the excess wax or do we then need to do something else as well? What sort of a tool would we need to do this? Can it be done with a flat blade or should we be using something special?

Thanks

Adam
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plastic scraper you can get them from toko for a few pounds or if you can get it a 5mm thick piece of perspex with a nice straight edge can do it, don't use a metal blade as it could damage the bases. Scrape off the excess wax then just ski on them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a ridiculous waste of wax. Presumably this ski shop has a petroleum refinery or something.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no idea why they did it..... we didnt ask for it!

While on the subject, how much does it cost to get bits to do a basic hot wax? It cost $20 per pair for a wax and edge when we got it done.... I presume that if you just wanted an edging, it would cost maybe only $10.... so if a wax iron and bits dont cost too much, maybe that is a better way to go for me.

Adam
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns, if you want a dedicated proper waxing iron they're pretty expensive, but the waxes etc are not very expensive, if you can wax your own skis you can also do small base repairs so not a bad idea
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
buns,
Quote:

I have no idea why they did it..... we didnt ask for it!

Ski bases can dry out during the summer months. They can feel quite like sandpaper if stored in too warm an environment. The ritual "scrape off" always signals the onset of the season in this household snowHead
To do your own wax you will need a flat iron, the "proper" ones cost about £45, some wax £5-£10 a scraper £5,a vice to hold the skis whilst scraping £60-£80, and a strap to hold the brakes "up". It makes a mess, so somewhere to do it is important. This lot is probably why service shops are always busy. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buns, I hot wax skis using a small travel iron and the minimum wax from a block. If you wrap a J-cloth around the iron, having dripped wax blobs along the skis, you can achieve something quite professional - the thin film of wax you need, with no need for scraping. Just one blob every couple of inches is all that's needed. Keep the iron moving to avoid over-heating the base.

Once the J-cloth is impregnated with wax it can be saved for future waxing, which saves further wax because the cloth obviously absords some first time round.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just bought my first pair of skis - wooohoooo!! How often do they need to get waxed and serviced? I'm assuming that I won't need to do anything before going skiing given that they are still new and presumably come waxed already?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy