Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to organise/cost a trip to Utah for Mar 2006
altho' we can be flexible about this.

6-8 people, 10 days and we expect to base ourselves in SLC and self drive to
the resorts of our choice per day. The resorts of particular interest are Alta
and Snowbird so far

I thought I would post this to get a few pointers as all I've done so far is
check out a few flights and lodges.

Any info, thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alta and Snowbird are where I skied when in Salt Lake City, but this was 28 years ago and several other ski areas seem to warrant a visit now. I found Snowbird a bit 'planned' and 'architectural', but Alta lives up to its reputation as a magic place. Neither of them come close to the scale of a major European ski area, but I believe they're linked by lift now. Snowbird has some quite testing terrain. Alta has lovely bowls and chutes.

You are not guaranteed powder in March. That's when I skied there in 1978 (I think - could have been 1979) and it rained, with pretty unimpressive snow underfoot. But I was probably very unlucky.

Deer Valley, developed by Stein Eriksen, seems like the ultimate 'pamperville' - got to be worth a visit!

Not sure if they have a dress code.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith,

If we can base ourselves in SLC with a car then we should be able to go to a few places.
Surprised that early Mar wasn't good for you and hope it isn't typical
Just trying to get a feel for the trip, seen some very attractive prices so far for the 1st Mar.
Booking/getting them might be another matter
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I have skied Utah in the past I always stayed in The SL Valley just south of SLC. There are 7 or 8 ski resorts within an hours drive and I used to go to different ones on different days as most of them are fairly small. I think its a great area with good choice and variety.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, Any chance of going a bit earlier? Four of us snowHeads are off to the four day Epic Academy in Snowbird/Alta on Jan 28th & then staying on for another 10 days. We'll be doing Park City, Deer Valley, Canyons, Snowbasin, Solitude, Brighton, Sundance etc, etc.

I met a lady at the ski show who works for the Utah Office of Tourism. She was extremely helpful & said I could email her any time for info etc. She also offered to organise stuff us. Of particular interest to me was a guided multi-resort backcountry tour that sounded great. She'll also be able to post you the free Ski Utah & Ski Salt Lake vacation planner booklets that are both very good & the highway map etc. The planners not only give all the skiing info but also transport, lodging & restaurant stuff etc.

I'll PM you her email address.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, I've been there three times in the last 12 years. If you can find a package, perhaps a condo, Park City is the place to stay. Park City lifts come right out of the town and Deer Valley and the Canyons are within 10 minutes. Park City, the town, has lots of bars and restaurants with good apres ski and a nice ski town feel. The outlying sprawl is not so good but you never have to experience this except when driving out to Alta/Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Brighton/Solituda in Big Cottonwood Canyon, or to Snowbasin or Powder Mountain. Everything is within 45min-1hr. Salt Lake is a bit more centrally located but you're talking about saving 25-30min. It's really just a good size city out of the snow with no ski town feel. If you do stay in Salt Lake though you'll find some things to do as there will be other skiers doing the same as you.

The backcountry tour mentioned by spyderjon can be found online @ http://www.skiutah.com/resorts/interconnect/ . I haven't done it but know others who have. I've been told it's very fun.

All the mountains I've mentioned are worth checking out. Alta/Snowbird can be skied together or separately depending on which pass you buy. Deer Valley, Park City, Canyons, Brighton, Solitude, Alta, and Snowbird all abut each other along the line and it is hoped that it all will be interconnected someday, perhaps not too far away. They're all good separately though too.

I have a group of 4-5 going either to Park City or La Grave March 11 for 10-12 days. We just haven't figured it out yet. BTW, March is a great time to go to Utah for powder. Like anywhere else you can have bad luck, but it would have to be very bad. IMHO, Alta/Snowbird have the best powder in the world and the others in the area aren't far behind.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't go wrong with Utah.
You'll obviously be trying out the main resorts of Alta,snowbird,park city.But don't overlook the smaller ones.I loved Solitude-great skiing and like the name suggests-quiet.I also enjoyed a day at Snowbasin,home of the Olympic downhills.You'll have a ball.I would agree that Park City is a better place to stay for the all round experience.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all,

I have one or two prices which are so good I can't believe them. I will be putting a few ideas together in the next few days
and it is a toss up between a couple of places - Le Grave is one of them. Haven't got any real dates tied down and it may depend on a few other people etc.
So thanks for the tips, Still thinking of staying SLC and self-drive. We are used to loading the car first thing anyway.

But it could all change...!!

spyderjon,

I'll try and remember to bring some maps..!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jack wrote:
The backcountry tour mentioned by spyderjon can be found online @ http://www.skiutah.com/resorts/interconnect/ .

Yep, that's the one. Thanks Jack. I did write it down at the ski show but somehow have misplaced it.

BTW, welcome to snowHeads.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats a good link and it appears that you could pick it up on a day to day basis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, where did you get your prices? I guess we can discuss your plans over a beer at the weekend!! he he he
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A really good place to stay in SLC is The City Creek Inn. OK I am biased as the owners are friends of mine.

If you like the look of it give them a a call and tell Lorin (the owner) that Janek sent you....you'll get a even better deal then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch,

I've PM'd you, let me know what you think

rungsp,

I'll have a look, thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi
Would love to come as my usual bunch are not going this year to to kids etc, can you let me know some more details.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mightysaints,

Its on the back burner for now - although the prices look great, if you can get them - as my group is not too keen as a whole, well, actually split 50/50 -ish.

I am kind of thinking that I should try the US this year. What do you usually ski..?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy