Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leaking salomon x-max 120 boots

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Last week I bought a pair of Salomon x-max 120 ski boots and this week we've come away on a week to Val D'isere.
After only one days skiing the liners were soaked, I had no option but to take them out to dry and after drying slowly overnight we skied again all day today and again today they're soaked. Today I tightened the bottom two buckles up a notch but this doesn't seen to have helped.
Have heard from a mate who skied the 130 version that he had the same problem.

Apart from the leaking I love them, fit like a glove, nice solid powerful feel and were pretty much a perfect buy til I noticed the water.

When I had them fitted the liner and footbed were moulded but I never did the custom-shell fit as there were no pressure points and as such there seemed no reason to me or the fitter to adjust then.
Does anyone know if having the custom shell done might sort the waterproofing or are these just a designed badly in which case it'll be looking for a refund/replacement?

Anyone with experience knowledge of these or other Salomon custom shells let me know.

Before anyone says it I've had two pairs of boots before and know there is a certain amount of moisture expected in a boot after a days skiing, but this is well above that.

Thanks
Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of Salomon impact GTs which leak like crazy, and have done since I bought them. My sister also has Salomon boots and they do the same. My previous Rossignol boots didn't let in any water, even when skiing through slushy puddles. It's a pity the Salomons are such a good fit!

The water gets in at the toe just before the first buckle when snow builds up there. Put your boot on and fasten it, then put a few strips of heavy duct tape over this area. Provided the snow isn't too wet, this seems to do the trick.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fastandicy, I have the 100's, shell was heat moulded. Not having problems w soaking liners, just normal moisture.

Perhaps CEM (bootfitter, who fitted my boots) will be able to offer insights on this...

Good luck with sorting this.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fastandicy, not had any issues with the X max boots leaking, had a few people feel them a little cold, but form what information we have on them so far no colder than any other boot at this sort of level

it might help having the shell heat moulded, id there is any discrepancy in the shell alignment the heating may just be enough to take it out
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fastandicy, First I have heard of leaking with them, if could be that you are pulling the buckles to tight and warping the to bung at the bottom creating a gap, If thats the case the duct tape or a better boot fitting should fix it.

If you do think they are actually leaking bring them back to the shop and they will get it sorted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13 wrote:
fastandicy... if could be that you are pulling the buckles too tight and warping the toe bung at the bottom creating a gap...

That's exactly what happens with mine, although it happens no matter what latch the buckle is on. Duct tape does the trick. It also makes you look hardcore. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, well you've put my mind at ease that if all else I should at least be able to gets replacement pair the same.

They're wet again today.

I had a pair of salomon impact 10's before and they were watertight for the first 4 or 5 years (including two seasons)

I'm only doing the bottom clips up to finger-tightness as I always have so it can't be over tightening

CEM, I'll take them back for the heat moulding when I get back to the UK and hopefully this will sort it.

Don't really want to fall back on duct tape til there's a few more scuffs and marks on them, otherwise I might look like a fraud!!! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fastandicy wrote:
Don't really want to fall back on duct tape til there's a few more scuffs and marks on them, otherwise I might look like a fraud!!! Laughing

Borrow a rasp??
snow report
 cran
cran
I have Salomon X-Max 120's new at the start of this season and have had no problems with leaking.

Have been skiing in deep powder in them and my feet have been bone dry at the end of the day.

The buckles are clipped in notches 2,3,3,4 from toe to shin if that makes any difference.

The boots are very tight and it took 3 days before they stopped hurting (but no pressure points and they are now an excellent fit) so maybe you have bought them too big?

The liners are self moulding, and I didn't bother with the shell moulding as I don't see any point in doing that unless it's necessary after wearing them for a few days and I also have the standard footbeds as I once wasted 90€ on custom footbeds that did nothing but hurt my feet, so I will never do that again.

So I'm not sure that my comments help you in any way, but I have the same boots with no leaking and I love them to bits, best boots I've ever had. Maybe getting the shells moulded will help stop the leaking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Duct tape is COOL, just look around the resort and you'll find all the cool dudes using it. Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fastandicy, can you work out if it's snow coming into the boot then melting which makes them wet, or sweaty feet in this milder spell???
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just off to Slush and Rubble for a few tweaks on my x max 120's before a 3 week stint!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roche1800, have you had any problems with them leaking?

I had mine back to Ellis Brigham's last month where they heated and fitted the custom shell which hasn't been done when I bought them. I'll find out next week in Saas Fee if that's sorted the leakage.

kitenski, sorry, just saw your post for the first time, it's far too much to be sweaty feet, unless I've developed some sort of medical condition in the last few months. It's snow coming in or melting on the boot outer and water coming in which is more likely.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fastandicy, Hopefully the problem is solved.

But, I would pack some duct tape anyway. just in case.

My wife has had to use it on her Lange boots this season and it certainly works.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fastandicy, hi I bought them on a price match instead of waiting for sales (slush and rubble sale started but n
X max not in sale)

So to honest only worn them here (uk)!!

Will let you know how I get on in slushy April snow!,,
ski holidays
I've found the xpro 120 to leak too. Awaiting reply from supplier. Great boot if but really do like dry feet!!
ski holidays
@Bisto, I went with the duct tape on the toe in end. Sorted it right out.
snow report
@fastandicy, duct tape or take them back for refund and buy another make like Tecnica or Dynafit that don't leak. I've had 2 pairs of Salomon boots years ago, both leaked and were very cold compared to Tecnica which I moved over to, had 2 pairs and both were great. Then had Black Diamond which were excellent too, now have Dynafit and they are better still......duct tape short term answer, return for refund longer term advice. rolling eyes

Soz just seen date of your post, you clearly found a solution!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy