Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2006 Boot Reviews

Poster: A snowHead
rockyrobin, one for you mate.

http://www.bootfitters.com/boot_reviews.htm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everyone should read this, i can't fault i just wish i could make things read as clearly. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, my Tecnica Diablo Fire's aren't listed. Would you say they're basically a slightly softer flexing Magnesium or are the forward lean & ramp angles different as well?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, my Tecnica Diablo Fire's aren't listed. Would you say they're basically a slightly softer flexing Magnesium or are the forward lean & ramp angles different as well?

If memory serves me right, it's the same shell, just a different colour cuff(i think) and a different liner. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.bootfitters.com/boot_reviews.htm

Read this first. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, Cheers for that - interesting reading Smile

Re the Magnesiums vs Fires - The different liner sounds right as I tried on both and found the Magnesiums fitted slightly larger for some reason. The Magnesium in a size 25 felt the same as the Fire in a size 25.5.
The Magnesiums were definately stiffer than the Fires though. The Mags with the flex on soft felt about the same as the Fires on stiff FWIW.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rockyrobin wrote:
spyderjon, Cheers for that - interesting reading Smile

Re the Magnesiums vs Fires - The different liner sounds right as I tried on both and found the Magnesiums fitted slightly larger for some reason. The Magnesium in a size 25 felt the same as the Fire in a size 25.5.
The Magnesiums were definately stiffer than the Fires though. The Mags with the flex on soft felt about the same as the Fires on stiff FWIW.

I think the stiffness changes too due to the liner. I think the Mag' has a 2mm schimm around the coller of the liner. The foam is denser but maybe thinner. The Clog is definatly the same. Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I thought I may have been imagining it Laughing Nice to know there is a reason after all to what I felt.
I feel the same with my Rossi Elite Pro's. With the standard liner they flex nicely. With the foamed liners they are noticeably stiffer. I thought foam liners would be a good cure all but now am not so sure after losing some of my ankle flex Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You ought to get rockyrobin over to your shop.

He's a 'skibootaholic'. You'll make a fortune & be retired by the end if the season Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I thought I may have been imagining it Laughing Nice to know there is a reason after all to what I felt.
I feel the same with my Rossi Elite Pro's. With the standard liner they flex nicely. With the foamed liners they are noticeably stiffer. I thought foam liners would be a good cure all but now am not so sure after losing some of my ankle flex Sad

Try this out. Take out your foam liners. Go buy a syringe(with a needle) and some Aceitone, you know the stuff for cleaning stiickey stuff off glass. Your hardware store an chemist sould be able to help you find them.
Right, now locate the ankle pocket on the liners. Draw a diagonal line on the outside of the liners, running from the very back of the heel through the ankle bone an to the end of the liners by where it meets the tongue. The axis of flex for the ankle joint. Now run a line of masking tape over the four lines, ( one for each ankle bone.) now, fill your syringe will aceitone and along the line on the liner, every cm or so, inject a little aceitone. Be sparing, it breaks the foam right down. Give them a good few flexings between your hands to encourage the foam to break up anlong the axis of flex and away you go. Precision and flex! Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You ought to get [b]rockyrobin[/b] over to your shop.

He's a 'skibootaholic'. You'll make a fortune & be retired by the end if the season Laughing

If you fancy a couple of weeks part time work, between mid-january and end of march, in exchange for, a bed for a couple of weeks, an opportuinty do some skiing and maybe one or two other little freebees along the way. It would be our pleasure to show you around. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Cheers for the tip on shooting up my liners! Looks like a trip to the chemist for me Monday morning Smile

I would love to come over and do some part-time work for you for a couple of weeks but alas i'm doing the whole season in Verbier this year, skiing EVERY day. No work for me i'm afraid Very Happy
I have a friend who has a chalet in France somewhere and we're planning on taking a break there when we get bored of Verbier for a breather. If were over your way we'll pop into your zoo and say hello and I can have a looksee over you boots Emelda Marcos stylee Laughing
Seeing as spyderjon is labeling me a "skibootaholic" now would be a good time to ask what spyderjon reckons to ankle flex and its effect on everyday life Wink Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I belive ankle flex is where it happens, but it starts in the shoulders. I think, we all have enough mass to flex any boot out there. It's often mis-represented. It's a trickey one to debate. Requires alot of testing, and even with some of the big W.C. boys its hard to monitor accuratly. phsycology plays such a huge part. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin wrote:
[b]SMALLZOOKEEPER, Cheers for the tip on shooting up my liners! Looks like a trip to the chemist for me Monday morning Smile[/b]

I would love to come over and do some part-time work for you for a couple of weeks but alas i'm doing the whole season in Verbier this year, skiing EVERY day. No work for me i'm afraid Very Happy
I have a friend who has a chalet in France somewhere and we're planning on taking a break there when we get bored of Verbier for a breather. If were over your way we'll pop into your zoo and say hello and I can have a looksee over you boots Emelda Marcos stylee Laughing
Seeing as spyderjon is labeling me a "skibootaholic" now would be a good time to ask what spyderjon reckons to ankle flex and its effect on everyday life Wink Laughing

Cool, i didn't know whether it read clearly, i'll doo some sketches. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Cheers mate. Now all I need to figure out is how to persuade the chemist I don't have a shooting up habit Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm happy with my Fire's in size 27.0 with custom footbeds. The shell fit gap is 21mm on the left boot & 20mm on the right boot when checked with different diameter dowels. When standing upright (difficult as they have plenty of forward lean) I can just feel the front of the liner but I can't feel the hard shell. When flexing them in my bindings there's no heel lift although I can feel a bit of heel lift (I guesss at about 5mm) if I deliberately push down on the balls of my feet whilst trying to lift my heels - as this isn't a skiing 'move' I assume it's ok & it's probably just movement in the liner.

They've had four weeks use so the liners are well bedded in & I can confortably ski in them all day & don't need to unbuckle on lifts or at lunch etc. I've just realised that I've never tightened the buckles at all from when they were set when the boots were new so I've just given the mirco screws two/three turns each to allow for the liner packing out. I'll be trying them out next week at LDA.

I'm weighing up the options of more performance versus less comfort so I was going to try a 26.5 at the Ski Show tomorrow. What do you think?

Am I right in thinking that the 26.0 & the 26.5 are the same shell but the 26.5 has a slightly higher volume liner?
snow report
rockyrobin wrote:

Shocked Mad Laughing
ski holidays
spyderjon, Hehe, at least you havn't gone to the lengths of trying to go jogging while holding the "O" frame like one of my ski buddies owned up to the other day.
The things people will do in the name of skiing rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
rockyrobin wrote:
spyderjon, Hehe, at least you havn't gone to the lengths of trying to go jogging while holding the "O" frame like one of my ski buddies owned up to the other day.
The things people will do in the name of skiing rolling eyes Laughing

That wasn't Craig was it? If so, wait till I see him next Laughing
ski holidays
spyderjon, Hehe, that's the man Laughing
This "O" frame obsession is getting out of control.
I just cannot understand what all the fuss is about? rolling eyes
snow report
rockyrobin, Neither do I. I think Wasser's just got bandy legs Shocked

BTW, I tried some Fire's in 26/26.5 yesterday at the ski show. Only had 10mm shell gap & way too much pain. My 27's are most definately the correct length (good ol' Profeet). Nipping up the buckles a couple of turns to allow for the liners bedding in makes them now feel very snug.
snow conditions
spyderjon, Glad to hear your not going to have to get another pair Smile
My Fires should be with me by Wednesday so am looking forward to trying them out and getting some much needed ankle flex at last Very Happy
Watching you doing the braquage in your flexy boots has been inspiring me for a while now. Definately the way forward Smile
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
spyderjon, Watching you doing the braquage in your flexy boots has been inspiring me for a while now. Definately the way forward Smile

Cool Cool Cool Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy