Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single beginner looking to learn to ski this season. Options?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,
Been reading a bit of the site to find out what I can about skiing this year. I realise I've left it a little late, but after begging friends to come learn to ski with me and getting tired of the lack of interest or money I think i'm going to go it alone!

I've read about the UCPA, is this best option for a single skiier? It would be nice to have someone to go for a drink with on the evening.
There are several other websites such as pistepals and singlesport but not heard much about them on here.

I also read a post from a few years back about someone who stayed in a hostel. I've stayed in hostels before and it's always a good way to meet young people, are there any popular location or websites for this?

Also, prior to going I have the option of the dry slope in Sunderland, or the Snowzone in Leeds (further, more expensive), is it worth going to practice or having lessons at either of these, or just go straight for lessons out on the slopes?

Appreciate any help.

Jason
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I've read about the UCPA, is this best option for a single skiier?

yes, a very good option. Look at the Action Outdoors website - and if in doubt, ring them up and talk about your requirements. It would probably be a good thing to have a lesson on the dryslope before you go, just getting used to the equipment and how it feels will help a lot - but if you are young and keen and reasonably fit, you'll learn fine in a UCPA beginners class anyway.

Most UCPAs have dorm rooms. A few have double room options, at a supplement, but that won't be relevant to you anyway.

Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. I've had a look on the website and the next trip with spaces is to a place called Flaine mid Feb. It's not cheap mind, £569 excluding travel Shock
I spotted a similar thing on a site called outgoing.co.uk they have a trip to val d'isere for £299, but it is tomorrow which is a bit short notice!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It's not cheap mind, £569 excluding travel

That isn't bad. Your trip to Val d'Isere will not include ski pass, equipment hire, lessons or (probably) food (at least £500 quids worth). If it does include food it won't be full board. UCPA is fully inclusive.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for UCPA or Action Outdoors..... personally IMO go to wherever you fancy / can afford for your first trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Action Outdoors sell UCPA holidays in the UK - and if you go to some of the centres, including Flaine, you can get their coach travel which is a lot cheaper than a flight and a transfer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
our holidays in Courchevel on 19 Jan & 9 March include free lessons with BASI instructors & lots of friends to give you the encouragement you need BW Ruth
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jasonl, ... or you could go on a Snowheads 'bash' ..... see snow events section of the forum. When I've been beofre there have usually been people going to lessons etc and social lot in the evening etc is there too...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jasonl, from experience I would not go to sunderland dry slope it has wires sticking up and is very mossy and slippy - nothing like real snow, if you fancy sharing petrol costs myself and hubby frequently go to Leeds for a ski (from Newcastle) and I would recommend a few lessons to get the feel of skis 1st - were going to les arcs this year with a few beginners and I made them go to Leeds 1st (although they are now considering not having lessons in resort so that may have blown up in my face)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jennycook wrote:
jasonl, ... or you could go on a Snowheads 'bash' ..... see snow events section of the forum. When I've been beofre there have usually been people going to lessons etc and social lot in the evening etc is there too...

I second that. Did the pre season bash and lessons were excellent.

Jasonl if you're available 12th jan I've booked a 4 bed apartment in la plagne which has currently just got me in it, so 3 spare beds. Oxygene do a lesson pack including lift pass, equipment, 6 x morning lessons for £300.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy