Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things to invent

Poster: A snowHead
finestgreen wrote:
Masque,

Quote:

Inertial forces are logarithmic as mass increases

Somebody should tell Dr Newton, because he thinks force is proportional to mass.

of course...what we really need is a picture of a racer to illustrate this....

Just kidding! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski, Fingers crossed! Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
finestgreen, My creaking analogy is, I think, adequate in this case as it's not just our mass that increases but also our dimensions and although my maths is horribly ancient and I could easily be wrong the proportional change is a logarithmic progression along a curve. If we all fell and landed curled up in a tight ball then yes you would be correct.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gatecrasher wrote:
livetoski, Fingers crossed! Sad
This!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
livetoski, bad news but always fingers x'd for him Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another point worth noting which might explain why ACL is more of a problem for adults is that children will have their DIN set to release earlier. Which goes back to what Masque was saying.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, yeah, I know what you mean, just not sure about logarithmic. I suspect as soon as you get beyond F=ma it becomes much much more complex.

Incidentally, interesting study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22427619 - "Female skiers showed a 2-fold higher risk of suffering from an ACL rupture on their nondominant leg"

So, might be a good idea to make sure your fitness routine isn't biased towards your dominant leg.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, moving on from the ACL thing, I do have a product that I would like to see invented, and that wouldn't even be a bit difficult using existing technology.

A back window inexpensive tailgater camera. It would have two cameras - one points down at my rear bumper, but has a wide enough angle to catch the driver behind's bumper, and perhaps their registration number, another points towards the front of the car behind and captures the registration number and a picture of the drivers face. It has a sensor from my speedo that when I click a button, it records my speed, and takes the two photos at the same time. It also has a reasonably accurate distance sensor just to back up the photos.

Then I can foward the data to the relevant authorities, who can issue a £60 fine and 3 points for dangerous driving. Of course if they contest it I might have to stand up in court and swear that the camera image and speed are accurate. But I'd do that, no problem.

It would also come with a big sticker to put across my bumper that says "Warning! Tailgating Camera Fitted!" so that people know that tailgating me would result in a penalty.

If someone could come up with inexpensive technology to do it, I reckon that the various authorities would go for it. After all they love handing out speeding tickets, and this way people like me become their roving reporters in the field, saving them on the need to have lots and lots of expensive traffic police pulling people over.

Plus I get my own back on the utter twunts that spend their time on the M25 tailgating me when there are three lanes on my right that they can use, but driving very close to my back bumper makes them feel like they are Lewis Hamilton, presumably to make up for the deficiencies in the rest of their sad little lives which we both know they aren't.

VW Golf drivers take note, you are rapidly becoming the new Audi drivers of the roads, who were previously BMW drivers. We understand you've had your company car downgraded, but it doesn't mean you need to crash the sodding thing to get back at your employer or life in general.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In addition to this, like Crimestoppers, I should get a reward for my hard work. £20 from each driver convicted should come to me to make up for the cost of buying the kit. If the kit was £200, I think I'd have my money back inside a month on the M25.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium, amen brother, almost followed a guy home yesterday when he came up to within about 2 feet of my rear bumper at 70. Sure fire way to send me into road rage. Camera would be awesome - or maybe just the sign would be needed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, floor your throttle and hit the brakes hard at the same time with a little wiggle on the steering . . . should make then cack themselves Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The camera technology exists. The new Contour will do all you want. Bluetooth remote control and GPS module to capture speed and location data. Fitted one in my truck and used it twice to get out of a ticket for me and to get the offending drivers into some deep poo with the Smokies Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque,
Quote:

Bluetooth remote control and GPS module to capture speed and location data. Fitted one in my truck and used it twice

Fantastic! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, I quite like considered use of the fog lights when they get really close, which gives them time to back off a bit so that I can brake to a safe speed for the distance they are behind me. Sadly for some, the distance they have left allows me to drift all the way down to 40mph before it is safe. They don't seem to like this, at which point they attempt to undertake.

The difficulty with a single camera or videocamera is that you need to capture quite a lot of data for a driver to be prosecuted, and if I walked into a police station with a memory stick they'd laugh me out of the place. What I think they should do is set up a simple black box with a couple of diddy cameras fitted so I can just push a button to catch the info required for prosecution. It would become like getting a speeding ticket, fixed penalty issued once the images had been reviewed by the police, if the driver contests it they are going to court and I am a witness for the prosecution.

I don't think I've ever seen or known anyone get prosecuted for tailgating, but on motorways it causes a vast number of accidents and pileups every year, where people just can't stop in time to not hit the car in front when they have to stop in an emergency. Speeding, on the other hand, causes some accidents, but I would wager that someone driving at 85mph on a motorway is less risk than someone who routinely tailgates.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really really enjoy messing with tailgaters. Slowing right down (to single figures sometimes) when there is no possible chance of them overtaking, and then absolutely gunning it on a long straight with no oncoming traffic. Then when they eventually overtake and look at you furiously, doing a massive ridiculous Cheshire Cat face or blowing them a kiss.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course the dream ticket is to enrage them in a perfectly time way, so they do an over-limit overtake past a speed camera.

Not managed it yet.
latest report
Monium, i'm sure slowing down to 40mph on a motorway would be seen as dangerous driving as well. My advice would be to stop taking things so seriously, speed up or move over.

Fun fact, when I used to live in Germany I got in trouble for tailgating and had to go to one of those courses which is like AA but for speeders and naughty drivers. All cause in Germany they have distance cameras. Sadly I got screwed over as the two guys in front of me on a two lane motorway emergency braked thinking it was a speed camera.

Where are all the snow related inventions I can go and steal ? Come on guys Sad
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:
Of course the dream ticket is to enrage them in a perfectly time way, so they do an over-limit overtake past a speed camera.

Not managed it yet.

I kind of achieved this once. Driving up the Autoroute near Troyes there was a Belgian-plated BMW tailgating me even, though I was doing 130 km/h overtaking a long chain of vehicles in the other lane. I refused to move over into the slower moving traffic, as was my right, until I was well clear of them.

He sped past, but ten minutes later I saw that he had been pulled over by an unmarked Gendarme. I had to resist giving a triumphant toot as I drove past.

As for ski-related inventions - maybe something that gave the soles of my exhausted feet a nice massage while sat on lifts would be nice.
snow report
Whitters, high five!
latest report
Whitters wrote:
As for ski-related inventions - maybe something that gave the soles of my exhausted feet a nice massage while sat on lifts would be nice.

I think you'll find this has been done - it's called a 'wife' wink
latest report
red 27, fat chance. You need something that throw in a happy ending too. Little Angel
snow report
Quote:

Monium, i'm sure slowing down to 40mph on a motorway would be seen as dangerous driving as well. My advice would be to stop taking things so seriously, speed up or move over.

+1

I would like goggles with proper heads up display invented which overlays piste map, directions and route planning e.g. to home, a restaurant or the nearest toilets!
snow report
I would like googles that can see through a white out (fog or snow), or flat light and display the actual slope that is below the precipitation. There must be some sort of beam that can cut through the crud in the air or lack of reflected light to show you where the slope goes.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Inertial forces are logarithmic as mass increases . . . that's why a kid can fall out of a tree and run inside screaming for their mum and we just lay there too boogered to even groan for help.

Masque wrote:
My creaking analogy is, I think, adequate in this case as it's not just our mass that increases but also our dimensions and although my maths is horribly ancient and I could easily be wrong the proportional change is a logarithmic progression along a curve. If we all fell and landed curled up in a tight ball then yes you would be correct.

Erm ... where to start? wink

In the first place, you seem to assume that logarithmic implies greater than linear, when it's less. You might be thinking of it's inverse, exponential.

But in any case the relationship is linear. The angular force (moment) is also proportional to the distance of the mass from the pivot, and that is also going to be greater for an adult. Taking that into account, and that fact that mass is going to be approximately proportional to the cube of height, the moments that a ligament might be subjected to could vary with the fourth power of height. Coupled with increasing brittleness of connective tissue in us old folks this means that … I think you're (sort of) right! snowHead
snow report
laundryman, I knew you'd be along soon to explain it in a clear and concise manner Toofy Grin

Yes you're right the increased impact to extremities away from the central mass is exponential by mass/speed/distance
The central mass would be linear
And the ability to withstand the above is logarithmic

All cleared up snowHead Still means to avoid injury it's less weight, more flexibility, increased fitness and better technique . . . 'Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose'

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 4-01-13 17:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum, isn't that what your feet are for? wink
ski holidays
Mr Piehole wrote:

Not managed it yet.

I have, Bloke in a Merc "flash".....ooh I felt really awful! Cool

Bloody white van man! Toofy Grin
latest report
laundryman, cube of height? I'd have expected it to be closer to square (as that's what BMI uses)
ski holidays
F=ma2 ????

Megamum, I think the only way to avoid the injury would be to imobilise the knee from a twisting action but I fear that would still not prevent injury through an extension type of fall (trapped foot/fall forwards) AND would def. effect one's skiing. Also unless one did it for both knees the chances of causing an injury through imbalance might be higher. That would make the prevention exercise expensive, annoying and uncertain. I think the best bet is that remedial spung knee brace people either slag off or laud on here from time to time (can't remember what it is called). From what I recall that would probably prevent an ACL injury as much as anything else in an acceptable range.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmaah wrote:

Coasting down to 40, without even touching the brakes? If driving at 40mph on a motorway is dangerous, someone should tell everyone on the M25 between 7 and 9am that. Reducing my speed so that the driver behind can actually stop in the distance available is just preventing an accident. After all if all the cars left the proper stopping distance on the motorway everyone would be able to stop in time, avoiding pile-ups altogether.

I don't take it seriously, but strangely the people who feel the need to drive aggressively do. I move over, but not before they understand that tailgating gets you nowhere. If everyone drove like me, then tailgating would be a thing of the past. Or at least it wouldn't achieve anything. People who speed up or pull over are giving in to those people who choose to drive dangerously.
snow conditions
finestgreen wrote:
Masque,

Quote:

Inertial forces are logarithmic as mass increases

Somebody should tell Dr Newton, because he thinks force is proportional to mass.

Finestgreen I think you are right.

Won't be coming up with many successful inventions if we don't get the basics right

Is there a physicist who can settle this?
latest report
finestgreen, BMI doesn't have any mechanical significance. I guess they chose the square to get convenient bands that they could label. The masses of two people of the same proportions (including internal composition) would vary as the cube of one dimension. A bit of a crude calculation for random pairs of real people, I'm sure!
snow report
Monium wrote:
Timmaah wrote:

Coasting down to 40, without even touching the brakes? If driving at 40mph on a motorway is dangerous, someone should tell everyone on the M25 between 7 and 9am that. Reducing my speed so that the driver behind can actually stop in the distance available is just preventing an accident. After all if all the cars left the proper stopping distance on the motorway everyone would be able to stop in time, avoiding pile-ups altogether.

I don't take it seriously, but strangely the people who feel the need to drive aggressively do. I move over, but not before they understand that tailgating gets you nowhere. If everyone drove like me, then tailgating would be a thing of the past. Or at least it wouldn't achieve anything. People who speed up or pull over are giving in to those people who choose to drive dangerously.

Laughing You're obviously taking it seriously if you feel the need to 'teach people a lesson'... And there's a big difference between going 40mph on a motorway with slow moving and fast moving traffic, doing the latter is just silly.
snow report
Monium wrote:
Timmaah wrote:

I find a large tow hitch attached to something solid gives tailgaters pause for thought, I do miss my old Disco - with huge engine braking you didn't need brakes so removing tailgaters for that days traffic was just a case of taking my foot off the loud pedal - if they made contact it didn't hurt me, if they didn't they were sure scared enough to behave Wink

A pair of work lights we fitted to another friends van just inside the rear window also does wonders for tailgaters - 3kw arc lamps Wink
snow report
patricksh, been sorted above . . . me getting my arѕe and tit backward rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy