Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski carriage on SWISS

Poster: A snowHead
We are flying with SWISS to Geneva in a few weeks time and intend to take 2 pair of skis. On BA we normally pack both in a double ski bag and put them through as part of our checked baggage. I know SWISS have free ski carriage but do they insist that they be packed into separate bags?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I think they do.

The free ski carriage has to be within your overall luggage allowance as well. You are allowed 1 bag for 1 pair of skis and poles, 1 bag for boots and one for everything else. All within your allowance which, in economy, is 23kg. You are allowed 8kg of hand baggage as well.

You can't put it all into a wheeled ski bag like BA as SWISS baggage is limited to a maximum of total dimensions (l + h + w) of 158cm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've flown with Swiss - but not this season, and packed three sets of skis, two sets of bindings, my boots, assorted clothing and two sets of poles into a single, long double ski bag.

I had no issues and the check in staff didn't bat an eye, just directed me to the oversized area for drop off.

Think it was from Heathrow.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last season we packed 2 pairs of skis in one bag, along with poles and clothes and all they checked was the weight of the bag (this was Manchester to Zurich)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fr0sty, they changed the rules in June this year in order to offer "free ski carriage".

Obviously, if you meet the BA weight and dimension requirements you get ski carriage included in your luggage allowance as well (although only in one bag whereas SWISS is in 3 bags) but that is no use for marketing purposes if you are SWISS Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
158 cm ??? Typo methinks ?! Blades only
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tiger2 wrote:
Yes I think they do.

The free ski carriage has to be within your overall luggage allowance as well.

Not so, according to SWISS

Quote:
Being the skiers airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of max. 23kg in Economy Class and 2 pieces of max. 32kg in Business Class.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My understanding too achilles, having gone through the details this year when nearly booking a Zurich flight. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think this has been done before for both Swiss and Lufthansa. Yes the websites can be misleading, but afaik, and it has been tested now this year, both are 23kg + handbaggage + skis/board (not limited to 158) + boots + helmet (and may be in separate bags). LH you need to phone up and book them on, Swiss not sure.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think andy is correct. I'm flying Swiss in a couple of weeks and let them know I would have skis, and had a polite reply (by email) confirming that it was booked.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, one of the reasons I like Swiss is they are so chilled out. We flew out last week and packed 2 pairs of skis into one giant coffin bag, in addition to our normal bags. All of them where over the weight limit (too many Christmas pressies).

They didn't bat an eyelid, simply put the the overweight label on and sent them through.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Judging by the responses, I'll take me chances going with the single bag option. Saves me having to buy 2 new single bags Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lufthansa change their rules every June but nothing actually changes, that's why I like them so much. As part of the same group I can't imagine Swiss will be any different. You should be fine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PSB I flew with a 22kg duffel, and a ski bag with 2 pairs in it. On the way out, only one pair had bindings, so I could have smuggled them through all innocent like. But I was lazy on the way back, and didn't unmount them. No questions asked, chucked them on the conveyor and off we went!

So, might depend on who is on the desk, but I had no issues either way...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also to confirm free ski carriage on Swiss from two weeks ago to Zurich- two pairs of skis and poles in one Dakine roller bag, 2m long, one suitcase (23kg on the scales) and boots in hand luggage. No problems except that the ski bag was weighed at Heathrow but let through.
ski holidays
rdwags wrote:
Judging by the responses, I'll take me chances going with the single bag option. Saves me having to buy 2 new single bags Very Happy

early dec I did LHR to GVA on swiss with a single bag weighing some 28kg incl. skis/boots/poles/helmet/clothes. Fine on the way out, had to pay c. £50quid in 'excess' on the way back

If my boots/skis had been in separate bags to clothes I would have been fine
snow report
I flew Swiss from BHX to GVA this December for the PSB with no problem at all. The check-in didn't take much notice of the ski bag at all and the whole experiance was much better than the alternatives.

A lot of other snowheads also few Swiss with no problems I heard about.
snow report
Do I gather then that Swiss are SH's airline of choice?
snow report
telford_mike, I like them - big problem for me is that departures are from London. I guess they can afford to provide such a god service is that SwissAir shrugged off its debts.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Tiger2 wrote:
Yes I think they do.

Quote:
Being the skiers airline of choice we are happy to transport your first set of skis/snowboard and boots free of charge in addition to your standard free baggage allowance. Your standard free baggage allowance per person is 1 piece of max. 23kg in Economy Class and 2 pieces of max. 32kg in Business Class.

I see what you mean, yet on the very next page (click through to sports equipment) they state:

Quote:
For tickets issued on/after 01 June 2012, the concept of transporting sports equipment has been simplified.

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded by either the weight per piece or amount of pieces, following special sports charges apply:

But I'm happy to go with the experience of the guys who have carried stuff through. After all, that's the point of using snowHead rather than google for questions Very Happy
latest report
Flew them to ski in Saas Fee in July. No issue with 2 pairs of skis in my 190 cm wheeled bag. We had our boots in separate boot bags, main luggage as well and carried hand luggage. No issues - although we came in at or below the 23kg each limit, I suspect. The weight was the thing they checked, not how many pairs of skis etc.
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
Do I gather then that Swiss are SH's airline of choice?
Only if you are of the Southern persuasion, although I have done and would again use them from MAN to GVA via ZUR.
ski holidays
Tiger2 wrote:
achilles wrote:
Tiger2 wrote:
Yes I think they do.

Quote:

I see what you mean, yet on the very next page (click through to sports equipment) they state:

Quote:
For tickets issued on/after 01 June 2012, the concept of transporting sports equipment has been simplified.

Your checked sports equipment is free of charge if within your free baggage allowance. If your free baggage allowance is exceeded by either the weight per piece or amount of pieces, following special sports charges apply:

But I'm happy to go with the experience of the guys who have carried stuff through. After all, that's the point of using snowHead rather than google for questions Very Happy

Yes it does a say that but there is more info that explains that skis/boots are in addition to your checked allowance (the sports equipment within the free baggage allowance is for items other thans skis, e.g. golf clubs) - I seem to recall you have to click to open more info, or scroll down. I'm not going to do the whole search on Swiss again as I'm at work, but if you are really interested do a search on my posts and you'll see a very lenghty thread about this maybe 3 months ago
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
telford_mike, I like them - big problem for me is that departures are from London. I guess they can afford to provide such a god service is that SwissAir shrugged off its debts.

We used them at Xmas BHX-ZRH, very good service, have booked again for March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy