Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fast piste skis.

Poster: A snowHead
Lots of prople seem to be searching for 'piste skis', so called 'advanced piste skis' at that. (Ski-a-cross, blah, blah)
This would suggest to me, that you already ski well and that you would like to ski on something more stable at speed.

My question therefore is,
"If you like to ski like this, Why do you not buy real race skis, or the commercial race/piste versions.?"
They often have a slightly better side-cut than the (Ski-a-cross) version, have slight changes in surface materials and have a choice of plate, so you can choose the binding you put on it.

Is this marketing and are you being scared off a product that would ski as well? Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, good question. I have yet to work out what Skier cross skis are all about. Seems to me a SL/GS ski would do the job.

Smells suspiciously like a wee marketing scam...

But, my observation is that people aren't as scared off of "race" skis as they should be. Far too many pairs about, massaging internal egos.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what skis are you talking about? Do you mean Volkl 6* vs Volkl Racetiger? Or do you mean "consumer" Rossignol 9x vs "race stock" Rossignol 9x (or maybe salomon 2v vs salomon lab gs)?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 20-10-05 20:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I tried out the Rossi 9S WC and Oversize versions last season. I thought there was a big difference between the two, but the WC version demanded skiing well all the time otherwise it was a real handful. But when you did ski it hard the WC version was much more secure and 'grippy'. I've just bought the Rossi 9X WC version which I hope will be equally rewarding for GS turns on piste. Trouble with buying race department skis is that (a) not that many places sell them, and (b) they're not cheap!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, good question. I have yet to work out what Skier cross skis are all about. Seems to me a SL/GS ski would do the job.

Smells suspiciously like a wee marketing scam...

But, my observation is that people aren't as scared off of "race" skis as they should be. Far too many pairs about, massaging internal egos.

Race skis, as a rule are very well made and our margins often refect that. We can't stop the few getting their ego's massaged by it, but i'd leave them to it, it's a humourus "ski stereotype". It certainly helps me spot them in the shop.

"Yeah yeah, stiff, oh yeah, sharp, oh yeah very, how much, oh, not too much, cann you ski well, oh, you're training to be an instuctor, oh, nice one"

I think it goes a little like that, tee hee.

No, if i could ski ok, and wanted a piste ski, i'd defenatley buy a race ski. It would be more stable and hold a carve like a roller-coaster. If i started to get tired i'd blame the speed i was now travelling at for the aching legs not the stiff ski. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sugardaddy wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what skis are you talking about? Do you mean Volkl 6* vs Volkl Racetiger? Or do you mean "consumer" Rossignol 9x vs "race stock" Rossignol 9x (or maybe salomon 2v vs salomon lab gs)?

All of them. Read the thread, S>L>O>W>L>E>Y Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
I tried out the Rossi 9S WC and Oversize versions last season. I thought there was a big difference between the two, but the WC version demanded skiing well all the time otherwise it was a real handful. But when you did ski it hard the WC version was much more secure and 'grippy'. I've just bought the Rossi 9X WC version which I hope will be equally rewarding for GS turns on piste. Trouble with buying race department skis is that (a) not that many places sell them, and (b) they're not cheap!

What were conditions like? What boots do you ski on? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 9X rocks, now don't be scared. Go catch flies in those teeth. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
What were conditions like? What boots do you ski on? Twisted Evil

Conditions ranged from hard pack, a few CMs of fresh, and glacier ice.
Boots are Nordica Beast 12 from last season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Footbed? Custom liner? Do they hurt a bit, your boots? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Footbed? Custom liner? Do they hurt a bit, your boots? Twisted Evil

Footbed - Yes.
Custom liner - no, not at the moment.
Boots hurt? Nope, as comfortable as slippers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do you tighten them on the race skis? Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So you think any reasonably good skier would be better off on "real race skis"? I though the marketeers were trying to get to buy skis that are above our level and more expensive, no? You seem to be implying that they are convincing us to ski on lower level skis? why would they do that? Why aren't more instructors on "real race skis"?
I would gladly try a race ski, should the oportunity arise, but i'm not convinced i'm a match for such a ski
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Do you tighten them on the race skis? Twisted Evil

Yup. Feet go numb after 30 minutes, so I can't feel the pain after then!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugardaddy wrote:
So you think any reasonably good skier would be better off on "real race skis"? I though the marketeers were trying to get to buy skis that are above our level and more expensive, no? You seem to be implying that they are convincing us to ski on lower level skis? why would they do that? Why aren't more instructors on "real race skis"?
I would gladly try a race ski, should the oportunity arise, but i'm not convinced i'm a match for such a ski

Please read my thread. A reasonably good skier. I didn't say that. Twisted Evil
snow report
Cool, which skis did you test again?

Spot of research, you mind? Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Is this question for me?
I tried a range of skis during the week: Head WC Slalom from about 3 seasons ago (with the Intellisense? chip-thingys in them), 9S Oversize, 9S World Cup, 9X Oversize and an older pair of 9X (Power Pulsion?).
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Is this question for me?
I tried a range of skis during the week: Head WC Slalom from about 3 seasons ago (with the Intellisense? chip-thingys in them), 9S Oversize, 9S World Cup, 9X Oversize and an older pair of 9X (Power Pulsion?).

Yes for you, sorry. I thought you may have been testing all brand of race ski. Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I thought you may have been testing all brand of race ski. Twisted Evil

It wasn't a systematic test, I just fancied trying out a few different models. I suspect that with my limited experience of different skis I probably wouldn't have been able to distinguish between various brands of race department ski.
latest report
SZK, "If i started to get tired"

You get tired? How quaint. wink

sugardaddy, I know you weren't addressing the Q at me, but hey, I have a large Vechia Romagna in front of me, dutch courage and all that...

..."So you think any reasonably good skier would be better off on "real race skis"?" IMHO, nope. Not a chance. Although I was amused to see a party last season (blokes on a weekend I think?) who all had "systems". Boots bindings and skis all matched. Different brands, etc. They were all "race" skis/boots and the users were maybe a 4 or 5 on SZKs list. Funny.

"I though the marketeers were trying to get to buy skis that are above our level and more expensive, no?" I would imagine they are, yes! Certainly more expensive!!

"Why aren't more instructors on "real race skis"? " Most instructors I know just don't want to have to work that hard. Especially with 12 squalling brats in a Morzine late season rainstorm!!
snow report
"I though the marketeers were trying to get to buy skis that are above our level and more expensive, no?" I would imagine they are, yes! Certainly more expensive!!

"Why aren't more instructors on "real race skis"? " Most instructors I know just don't want to have to work that hard. Especially with 12 squalling brats in a Morzine late season rainstorm!![/quote]

The marketeers would prefer you to by a ski for your level, the trick is, to make you feel like your level has changed, so therefore you need to change to ski to continue improving and so on and so on.
Mrs S.Z.Keeper is International Marketing Manager for a well known ski manufacturer. However the guys in the factories work very hard to deliver a product that is close to the target markets needs.

78% of ski instructors are teaching very basic techniques at a below average ability level. I'm sure there is a pair of rockets in the garage, but the most part have a teaching pair. This is often an end of line purchase, a freebee or all-mountain work/playski. The other 22% are race/club intructors, high ability instructors or off-piste/ freestyle instructors whos equipment yelds other benifits. Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy