Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring - kit to buy

Poster: A snowHead
I'm slowly getting into ski touring and will be going back for a third time this year and feel its time to start investing in some good (and were possible) lightweight kit.

So far I have a decent enough hard shell, warming mid layer for stationary moments and am using some relatively cheap but effective softshell which I think has at least another year left in it.

Was thinking this year to get more of the techical kit instead of renting so the transceiver, boots, crampons and axe which rental wise is either heavy or not as good as i would want. Also a decent pair of gloves as my hands get cold easily.

In terms of shopping list this is what I have come up with

Gloves - arcteryx Alpha SV
Axe - black diamond raven-ultra
Crampons - grivel air tech light
Transciever - Mammut Baryvox Pulse
Boots - Scarpa Maestrale

In terms of rucksack I am a bit stuck, can anyone recommend a decent 40 L touring pack? Currently the one I have is 45l which I think is a bit too big? .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-12-12 18:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given the evident size of your kit budget, perhaps you should have a look at Cilogear, or Cold Cold World? Or maybe a Mammut RAS Pro 35?

A 5l difference is neither here nor there, especially as volume ratings are not comparable between manufacturers (eg. you might get a 40l bag that is actually bigger than your current bag, etc).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of the budget I've learnt the hard way about the downsides of getting cheap kit so prefer to buy a few bits every year and rent the rest until i can afford it mrself. Thanks the the pack suggestions will take a look at those now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
unless you are leading groups I would probably go for a simpler transceiver like the mammut element or tracker 2... I have a pair of arcteryx liners and they are fantastic I would imagine the SV's are great. A cheaper option may be mountain equipment climbing gloves super warm

I like BCA backpacks really simple and clean with just the right amount of pockets and straps... i have the 35 and 22 Litre and the bigger one fits crampons, rope water skins etc for full day tours.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Make sure you get this years meastrals as they had issues last year with screws loosening that they have replaced with rivets for this year. All the kit you mention is first rate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
unless you are leading groups I would probably go for a simpler transceiver like the mammut element or tracker 2... cheaper option may be mountain equipment climbing gloves super warm

I like BCA backpacks really simple and clean with just the right amount of pockets and straps... i have the 35 and 22 Litre and the bigger one fits crampons, rope water skins etc for full day tours.

Thanks for that! I've got the mountain equipment gloves at the moment and even with liners ( tried both silk and merino liners) my hands were cold last year so decided to upgrade them this year

I did wonder if the transceiver was over specced but it came well recommended will take a look at the element I've done a few courses using the tracker and it was good

Jbob - thanks for the heads up on that!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Callum wrote:
In terms of the budget I've learnt the hard way about the downsides of getting cheap kit

There's a bit of a gap between "cheap kit" and "arcteryxed up to the nines" wink

Consider mitts instead of gloves, and little hand warmer packs. Montane Extreme mitts are nice bits of gear and quite reasonably priced, and you can layer them over a thin, warm liner or a thicker windproof one if you're often needing more dexterity.

Nowt wrong with the Barryvox. It has a basic mode, and the advanced features will be there if you ever need them in the future... I'd expect to get a good few years use out of it, after all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For gloves look here http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ssvenitexFBF15 For all the rest shop around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh wrote:
Callum wrote:
In terms of the budget I've learnt the hard way about the downsides of getting cheap kit

There's a bit of a gap between "cheap kit" and "arcteryxed up to the nines" wink

True! The main reason I go for the arcteryx kit is that being 5"5 but stocky it's hard to find stuff that fits me well even in a small size - so far arcteryx has not let me down in that respect

Like the idea of the mitt and liner combo though.

Had a look t the review for the element and I think that is a much better choice for my needs
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have you looked at the Snowpulse guide light 35. At 1.8kg before the canister it is light and a good size. Oherwise arc'teryx have brought out a new touring pack and it looks like a great bit of kit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm talking about the Qunitiq by the way. http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Quintic-38 Right up your street I should think. Look at the weight...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting topic - also buying touring kit this year. Got Scarpa Maestrale boots (just fit different touring boots, and be aware: touring boots are expensive!), will buy boot and ski crampons and a rucksack is also on my list.

I'll probably get the Deuter Guide 45+, but a 35+ is also available. Reasonably priced too at about EUR 130.

Also considering an ABS-system, however the price, weight and limited volume due to the volume of the airbag are holding me back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Callum wrote:

In terms of rucksack I am a bit stuck, can anyone recommend a decent 40 L touring pack? Currently the one I have is 45l which I think is a bit too big? .

I'd consider the BCA Alp40, which is a really well thought out bag. BCA have a product video on youtube that will show you the features. If you want to go airbags, the value end of the market is either BCA Float 32 or the mammut ride RAS 30l. Mammut also do a 45l RAS ready backpack called the Pro, but I'm not sure how easy that'll be to find. Although I say "value end", the quality of these bags is high.

See my signature for conflict of interest health warning, but obviously shop around!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eyeopener, The ABS bags do allow you to swap packs so you can increase the volume for longer tours.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
Eyeopener, The ABS bags do allow you to swap packs so you can increase the volume for longer tours.

Yes, that makes the ABS-bags the only airbag-option for me. However, still very expensive and weights a lot... Will have to think about it carefully...
ski holidays
The Mammut RAS kit also lets you swap packs, and I rather suspect the big RAS Pro bags will carry rather better than a big ABS equivalent...
snow report
The Mammut/Snowpulse canister rental system is a great idea if they can get the traction. Saves weight and hassle flying. I think snowpulse/RAS has the edge these days.
latest report
22 dropout wrote:
The Mammut/Snowpulse canister rental system is a great idea if they can get the traction. Saves weight and hassle flying. I think snowpulse/RAS has the edge these days.

I thought it looked great until I searched for rental locations in France and found... One. So it's fab if you're going to Cham, not if you're going anywhere else.
ski holidays
I did look at the RAS as an airbag option but yes the weight does look to be an issue for touring!

Anyone got any views on the otovox haute route 45l ?
ski holidays
andy from embsay, Indeed, "if they get the traction". North America seems better covered than Europe. You'd think St Anton would have a rental station.
snow report
I'm using a Mammut Ras this season, (smaller ride 22) As said the main advantage over rivals is the removable airbag leaving a v usable and slightly less obvious rucksack for hand luggage use.

I wouldnt fancy trying to get through security with an ABS bag.

Why rent a cylinder ?, no problem to take the snowpulse cartridge through in checked in baggage , the little extra weight is more than countered by using the rucksack as hand luggage.

The BCA cartridge is to big to use on European flights which ruled out their bags for me. (regs maybe changing ?? ) although the Float bag looks great, and in choice of colours !

I fortunately havent had to replace the (european) cylinder so far so cant comment on availability, Our guide (Damien Albert, plug for his superb services Smile ) in L2A pre christmas had talked me into deploying the bag at the end of the week, (on camera of course) just to try it, they only used Abs , but i had meet wifey so left before last run down.. saved me the £90 to replace but would ne nice to try it out in a none life threatening situation Confused

I wouldve thought an airbag would be high on kit list for serious touring for the sake of another couple of kg ?
ski holidays
scarbski wrote:
I wouldve thought an airbag would be high on kit list for serious touring for the sake of another couple of kg ?

Serious touring wants a coil of rope, a climbing harness, crampons and axe Toofy Grin

Anyway, what do you mean by "serious"? I'm thinking of stuff like the Haute Route, where I rather suspect your risk of death by avalanche is a little lower than a weekend of dedicated hiking for fresh powder, or cat or heli skiing.
snow conditions
Serriadh, Fair point , my touring experiences are limited to a couple hrs treking to the next run,
No iceaxe or crampons !! Just a shovel, water and a sandwich Smile
snow report
scarbski, The ABS bags are easy to get through. The handle with firing mech' and cylinder are removed and packed in hold luggage, the rucksack then is carried as hand luggage as per normal. No problem.
ski holidays
Serriadh wrote:

Serious touring wants a coil of rope, a climbing harness, crampons and axe Toofy Grin

Anyway, what do you mean by "serious"? I'm thinking of stuff like the Haute Route, where I rather suspect your risk of death by avalanche is a little lower than a weekend of dedicated hiking for fresh powder, or cat or heli skiing.

Yes, I am not a tourer (except an occasional day tour) but ski mostly off piste and often use skins. I have harness (obviously) plus rope and carabiners etc and use them occasionally. I do not yet have an axe and have no immediate plans to but am thinking perhaps I should get crampons for those scary icy scrambles on ridges etc (?) (obviously I have harscheisen - ie ski crampons).
ski holidays
Quote:

Gloves - arcteryx Alpha SV

Which Mountain equipment Gloves did you have? They have 20 odd pairs?

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/head_hands_+_feet/hands/?page=1&mens=1&womens=0

Personally, I live in the Randonnee Glove (the clue is in the name) for climbing and skiing, http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/head_hands_+_feet/hands/randonee_glove---303/ The pile liner packs out so buy them as tight as possible. The mitt might be better if you struggle with cold hands but you'll obviously pay dexterity wise.

I very much doubt the Arc'Teryx was £100 warmer!
Quote:

Axe - black diamond raven-ultra

Very Nice
Quote:

Crampons - grivel air tech light

Make sure they fit your boots well, not all crampons and boots are a compatible as you'd like.
Quote:

Transciever - Mammut Baryvox Pulse

All new transceivers will do the job. Make sure you buy one you've had a play with and like. The skill is no buying the best but using what you've got!
Quote:

Boots - Scarpa Maestrale

Good boots, consider the RS as well (I'm assuming you've tried them on and they fit your feet? If not, you want to go to a shop with a big selection and have a equivalent model from every brand that you want to try on - fit is everything, touring with blisters is not a fun experience)

As for a sac, I've never used more than a 35L. My BD Revelation (old model) is used for day-tours, Scottish gullies and 6 day hut-to-hutting. If you're after 40L+ are you taking too much stuff?

No harness?
snow report
galpinos

Just checked them and they are actually mountain hardware gloves (Heracles). Will have a look at the Randonee gloves though they seem pretty good you're right the Arc'Teryx gloves are damn expensive!

I haven't tried the Barryvox personally just seen it being used and it looked very easy.

Yep tried the Scarpas but not the RS so will see f I can try those as well.

Yes I might be taking too much kit if you can get a 6 day tour into a 35L !!

Already got a harness but its quite heavy so might get another one - had my eye on the lightweight black diamond harness

Thanks for the advice
snow report
The BD Alpine BOD is a decent packable harness which doesn't act like cheese wire when you sitting in it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Callum get some ideas from my packing list here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=91665&start=40

My best advice is to weigh absolutely everything. In the end, every gram has to justify itself.
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
The BD Alpine BOD is a decent packable harness which doesn't act like cheese wire when you sitting in it

Please note spelling mistake - it does act like cheese wire where you least want it. This why almost all harnesses now have leg loops. The Bod is light though if you want to take the risk.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy