Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Price of skis in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve got my first trip of the season coming up over Christmas, and intend to demo test a few pairs of skis before buying my favourites at the end of the week (to replace an old pair of Atomics).

I haven’t yet booked my destination, but have the possibility of going to Les Diablerets. What I would really like to know is, are skis in Switzerland considerably more expensive than the same pair in France, Austria or, even the UK? Would it be worth me not buying in Switzerland, and waiting until my trip to France in January to get a better price? Or even abandoning the idea of Les Diablerets and heading for a cheaper country at Christmas to get myself a better deal?! I know prices are likely to vary from resort to resort and shop to shop, but I would be grateful to hear if anyone has any experience of general price differentials from country to country.

E.g. S&R are offering this season’s B2s for £359. Any ideas what these would cost me in Switzerland, France or Austria? Any useful websites out there (e.g. European equivalent of Kelkoo)?

Many thanks.
Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Other snowheads know more about ski prices than I will ever learn. But as a stop-gap you could always take a S&R catalogue with you to the snow, and compare prices. If it's cheaper in resort, buy it there. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave Burt, decathlon are selling the B2 for a similar price...but including the bindings (which S&R don't). I don't know if decathlon sell them even cheaper in France??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, another thing. Generally (at least in my experience) if you rent for a week, and then buy the skis from the rental shop, they'll knock the rental cost off the purchase....which will save a bit!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I reckon it's usually possible to get a better price in resort, in France an d Italy certainly. You can often buy a not-very-well-used ex-rental/ex-demo pair for a fraction of the cost. If these years graphics aren't your fetish...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave, if you are looking at changing resorts - I'd go to Soldeu/el Tarter in Andorra - best price I've seen for skis in Europe. I bought a pair of skis, bindings and boots for the same price as the skis in the UK snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Burt,

Certain skis you can get anywhere but there may be some skis that don't cross over too well.
For example, I couldn't find Atomic b5's anywhere for hire in France and Stocklis aren't too widely availble across the board
outside of Switzerland
I would chose the resort and take pot luck rather than go to the cheapest cheapest place
However if you want B2's then they should be pretty universally available.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy