Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuff to take and not to take when self catering

Poster: A snowHead
Masque, Not pimping as I want to be there myself more this season, I was just trying to say that I leave the cupboards full of all non perishables so I can knock up a plate of something if I arrive late at night. Also we have tried to furnish it with items that are sadly lacking in a lot of rental properties, #1 being sharp knives.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fogliettaz, we furnished our own property on the basis of what hadn't been provided in others. There is nothing worse than arriving late after a long day and a delayed flight to find there is nothing to eat and no means of finding anything as restaurants closed ages ago. I could put up with it for one night, but young families will at least have to feed their kids. Pasta and a jar of pasta sauce are good standbys.
Best laid plans to shop en route don't always work out. Castelnaudry cassoulet or duck confit are good ones for my store room.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fogliettaz, I wasn't complaining . . . just thought it nice and subtle wink and also good to know, I'm hoping to be around there next season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just thought I'd bump this thread - currently packing/planning for SC apartment based trip in a week and found this useful reminder of essentials. Thought others may do too. Had forgotten about the Marmite!! Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We always take bacon & sausage - There's nothing like a full English to keep you fuelled on the slopes and French pork products don't cut the mustard at the breakfast table!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dhorst wrote:
We always take bacon & sausage - There's nothing like a full English to keep you fuelled on the slopes and French pork products don't cut the mustard at the breakfast table!

And HP sauce, I should hope?!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neither does french mustard! Just saying.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Over the door hanger thingy should there be a shortage of hooks for coats, salopettes etc. Available from Argos, Dunelm and the like.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Back to OP. When driving we take two frozen meals per family each (four meals) and eat out twice. Somehow the idea of chucking a home-made fish pie/lasagne etc in the oven and sticking some peas on works really well for our tribe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dav wrote:
dhorst wrote:

And HP sauce, I should hope?!

ooh no HP sauce for me I'm afraid! Tomato ketchup only on bacon! Toofy Grin

Not sure how well bacon/sausage would hold up flying time wise. Happy with eggs most mornings, sure the bacon in resort isn't that bad?

Definitely taking a decent non-stick casserole pot as my main priority. Can use it for frying things in the morning without everything sticking, burning and tasting awful and then again in the evening for stew/chilli/casserole/ the like. The one thing I learned from my last SC experience was the pans are always terrible and even though I would say I'm a good cook, I literally burned everything all the time! same with the knife thing. So many people have said take a good knife which is so true!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 27-01-15 16:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kennyboyo, door hanger is a good idea!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

sure the bacon i#n resort isn't that bad?

in the resort shops I'm familiar with it's mainly "lardons" but pancetta, where available, is a good substitute.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always take bacon. Love it in baguettes with reblochon when we can't be bothered to go out/cook and by making it myself; I don't get charged 50 euros for making a 'Savoyard' style sarny wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All I can think about is bacon and cheese right now........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad I seen this post I'm all packed for the weekend and after reading I've just realised I've forgotten to pack the travel kettle!

Most other things I've checked off, although I do take lots of food stuff for the kids (cereal etc.)
latest report
Turn a mug upside down to sharpen knives in the apartment

http://youtube.com/v/KdAMqgg8Xjw

IF you're getting a hire car fill it up with beer and wine from the major supermarkets rather than 5000 feet up a hill where it's a lot more money. If there's space left in the car, buy some food.
Suntan lotion and lip protector is much cheaper in the supermarkets in the UK - got mine at ASDA today.
mini cartons of juice drinks - fit in ski jacket pockets - save paying 5 euros a drink on the mountain
ski holidays
@Kennyboyo, we also take these. Think Sainsbury do a pack of 4 single plastic over door hooks for less than a fiver.

Instead of sharp knives just take a knife sharpener or steel. Sachets of salt and pepper from costa/pret at the airport and a few stock cubes and dishwasher tablets.
snow conditions
We're self catering and flying this Easter. Has anyone tried taking frozen meat in their hold suitcases? I know it's the Yorkshireman in me but just wondering??!!
ski holidays
snowhound, not actually frozen meat, but we've cooked bolognese, beef bourgouignon and coq au vin at home and taken it out, frozen, packed in a cool bag and stuffed in hold luggage. All still frozen when we arrived Very Happy
snow report
@RachelQ, That's actually a really good idea! the only think that worries me really is the weight issue as taking out our own skis and then boots in the hold luggage as well means we're quite restricted weight wise. If you're hiring equipment I reckon that would be a great shout. I would have been a bit worried about having "chilli-ey" thermals emerge on arrival in resort Shocked but well wrapped up I can imagine it could work!

We're flying too @snowhound, ....with our weight limits I'm planning on picking up cous cous sachets, fajita type sachets and sticking herbs and seasonings in those little tupperware square pots you get in the £ shops!
snow report
snowhound wrote:
We're self catering and flying this Easter. Has anyone tried taking frozen meat in their hold suitcases? I know it's the Yorkshireman in me but just wondering??!!

Sounds completely bonkers Laughing Laughing . You're flying and you want to take food in hold luggage? Shocked At 20kg baggage allowance I just about manage to get clothes, boots and personal items in my hold luggage never mind a kilo or two of frozen mince. The World's gone mad Laughing
snow conditions
We always drive, which means we have space, but there are two things we always pack: a kettle and a teppanyaki grill. The kettle because there never seems to be one anywhere we rent in France (there are coffee machines which are good enough for me, but the kids need tea) and it gets old boiling the water in a pan. The grill because it's very versatile in terms of what you can do with it -- breakfast fry-ups, burgers, pancakes (four at a time), steak, vegetables, everything gets cooked on it, it takes moments to clean and the food is delicious. Obviously not an option if you're flying, but I thoroughly recommend it if you have space in the car!
snow conditions
Responding to the OP, we have found that the local Sherpa / 8 til 8 / Spar tends not to stock a huge range of "cook-in" sauces but not everyone likes the same foods so this may/may not be an issue. We've always found breakfast cereals to everyone's liking. We always take tea-bags, a couple of good sharp knives and at least one stainless steel wool scourer (not "Brillo-pads" which I find to be gross...).

Meat we tend to source from the local Sherpa / 8 til 8 / Spar, focusing upon the yellow-ticket, "use by today" clearance stickers which does result in considerable savings (reinvested in the wine section) and conversations which commence "what could we have with / do with.....". Yes, I appreciate that we're almost as careful as the average Yorkshireman but frankly, we dine extremely well and have enjoyed some superb wine within a fairly slender budget!

Key to planning will be to establish what the kitchen is equipped with - last few times I've been faced with a hob consisting of 2 radiant hotplates and a combi microwave oven / conventional oven / grill, so I take a cheap electric kettle (cordless jug-style at £4.99 from Tesco - if it doesn't survive the journey it's no huge loss and takes up little space when packing if you stuff it with socks etc) to speed up preparation of hot drinks, heating water for cooking pasta, etc., whilst relieving demand for space on the hob. Taking dishwasher tabs only makes sense if there is a dishwasher... we always buy a small washing-up liquid in resort and always leave it - suspect that the cleaners remove it after we've departed in that there never is any when we arrive.

We always take a couple of adapter power leads - standard Continental plug to one 4 gang and one 2 gang UK 13A socket. Again, they take up little space and with a meter or so of flex it matters not that the available wall-socket is behind the dresser / sideboard / whatever. Portable DVD player device (or suitably equipped laptop pc) if you have kids to keep entertained - add selection of DVD's to make it really worthwhile rolling eyes

Driving down this year so will not be "limited" to BA's very generous 23kg hold limit plus my well-stuffed boot-bag as cabin luggage (stick that where the sun don't shine Michael O'Leary with your flights for 50p) and will likely take a load of gumph that won't see light of day, but that is another matter!
ski holidays
we once flew to Austria with a fair bit of food and a pressure cooker as well as four pairs of hired skis from a shop in Ayr (much cheaper than hiring in Austria) wrapped up in a pink candlewick bedspread (because it cost extra to hire the bags). Son was mortified when other passengers had their skis in smart bags but ours were much easier to find.
snow report
nice tip there @cameronphillips2000, ta! T minus 10 days and counting until our self-catering break in the Vercors. now i'll not be cursing the knives! <scuttles>
ski holidays
UK 4-gang extension with a European plug on it for all those chargers.
snow report
£4.99 kettle's a great idea! That was definitely a pain in the backside last time boiling water on the hob. I weighed my big non-stick "vat" which comes in at nearly 1kg so may have to just be a good frying pan after all Sad

Also to note..I think the original post is from over 3 years ago. I just happened to be trawling for info and dug it up, although I doubt it will now be useful for that original person! maybe now just as a general useful info thread instead Laughing
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
UK 4-gang extension with a European plug on it for all those chargers.
Essential Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yorkshire tea is essential. I also take small bag flour (it's pancake day while we're there so the kids will insist), small tomato ketchup which invariably never gets used, marmite, sharp knife, bin bags (there never seem to be bin bags), dishwasher tabs, those combined wash/fabric softener tabs if there's a machine/launderette so we can take less gear, travel kettle. Most essential packing is steristrips as the other half will invariably remove his thumb at some point as he thinks he's Gordon Ramsay when he's on holiday
ski holidays
one snowHead attending the EoSB usually brings a takeaway curry in his luggage (frozen of course).
snow report
Quote:

I also take ........ sharp knife

Quote:

Most essential packing is steristrips as the other half will invariably remove his thumb at some point as he thinks he's Gordon Ramsay when he's on holiday

Substitute sharp knife for rolling pin and instruct to make fresh pasta.
snow report
@bagginsmum, gordon ramsay...! Laughing Also, completely agree on the Yorkshire. One of only a few acceptable brands! Therefore a must when going away Smile
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, on that trip there were 5 of us, including one non skier and three kids and the luggage allowance was pooled. A 4 year old needs only a few base layers, PJs, two pairs of footwear and outer ski clothes. The pressure cooker went in her allowance but it wouldn't have been ethical to put champagne in too, would it?

I can put helmet, boots and everything else in a rucksack weighing 15 kgs if necessary but I'll buy the champagne on arrival and your boots are probably bigger and heavier than mine.

Travelling by car, as I am to the BB, I inevitably take more than I need and add luxuries such as a decent pillow.
ski holidays
If you staying in the evening, HDMI cable connected between your smartphone/tablet to TV, can be used to watch any movies you have saved digitally
snow report
Cheese. A decent size block of English Cheese. Mature Cheddar preferably. Don't eat the French rubbish!

Now I am going to get my running shoes on and hide. Laughing
snow report
@Mike-H, Shocked Keep running!
latest report
Bluetooth speaker always a must for me...

And pg tips of course😄
snow report
And it would go well with the Bacon in a baguette (which is best purchased daily in resort) Very Happy
snow conditions
@Mike-H you'll be taking your own wine as well then wink Stinky cheese is an integral part of any ski holiday for me preferably with some stinky saussicon
ski holidays
Mike-H wrote:
And it would go well with the Bacon in a baguette (which is best purchased daily in resort) Very Happy

Yuk I always take at least three loaves of sliced Kingsmill. cant abide that foreign stuff the sliced is to sweet and the unsliced is horribly chewy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy