Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuff to take and not to take when self catering

Poster: A snowHead
MARMITE!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cstreat,

Quite widely available in Europe now. Doesn't stop me taking a jar just in case though wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur, you take champagne to France? If you must, buy it in the airport, then it's not part of the baggage allowance. Wear your ski jacket and suitable boots for apres ski in snowy streets.

ski boots, salopettes, one lot of spare mid layers, underclothes, socks, couple of T shirts and jumpers for evenings, spare pair of jeans, few toiletries, sunscreen, light slippers/trainers or something for in hotel/chalet. Helmets are bulky but light, even when stuffed with underclothes.

stuff like phone, MP3, Kindle, camera, in hand baggage - hand baggage allowance is usually generous enough pack boots in, come to that. People get on planes with ginormous wheelie cabin bags these days.

I honestly can't think what people have got in some of the bags you see being wheeled out of Geneva airport. They must have a different outfit for every night of the week. Are you one of these folk who can't be parted from your hair straighteners? wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, going to Italy wink

Besides, SO's birthday tomorrow and she like this particular brand...

Always wear the outdoor boots and only ski jacket outer is in bag.

Other than that, have always taken more thermals (6), but the rest is pretty much as above Puzzled

Wish I had enough hair left for straighteners....may have to check the SO hasn't snuck a few of her things in - it wouldn't be the first time Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well another vote for decent knives.

As we drive I will confess that we often do a big shop here for dried stuff and also take frozen meat in cool box. With various pasta, risotto and tartiflette meals that's the week done.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
musher, No way; the world is changing too fast for me!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I second the mugs. Been a few years now, but my s/c accom always seemed to have none at all - not even small ones.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinm wrote:
I second the mugs. Been a few years now, but my s/c accom always seemed to have none at all - not even small ones.

Just use a bowl, that is what the French do.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peasants snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
martinm,

I remember suffering drinking from espresso cups or bowls for a week in a very nice self catering apartment in a 4* hotel. As a leaving gift guess what they gave us. Two lovely big tea mugs with the hotel quest on them Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One (or more) four gang plug adapters mean you only need one (per gang) continental adapter. I always take one for the bedroom (phone, laptop etc) and when travelling with the family one more for the lounge/kitchen (TV games console, kitchen gadgets etc)

It really is amazing how much easier life is when you don't have to keep swapping the adapter between appliances, my apartment life is less stressful since a good friend put me onto this Very Happy

Spray oil is a useful addition, better than wasting money on a litre that you will inevitably leave 90% behind or worse, trying to fry in butter (or derivative) Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyman wrote:

Spray oil is a useful addition, better than wasting money on a litre that you will inevitably leave 90% behind... Shocked

Indeed. a plea from me - please throw your oil away! everyone brings/buys their own and at the end of last season I had about 7 bottles of opened oil in various stages of rancidity to throw away!

(I have mugs)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good shout re 4 way adapter andyman, .... Will be pinching that idea. (Week today we will be there and hopefully has a few hours on slopes.... Yippee!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, I have mugs too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Indeed. a plea from me - please throw your oil away!

I clean some apartments sometimes, and the most usual things I find I need to get rid of are tomato ketchup, breakfast cereals and "sirops" of various lurid hues.
snow conditions
Agree on the tea bags. Also, kitchens are generally poorly equipped. And I hate buying 200 dishwasher tablets when I need only ten. And I like good coffee. So, here's my list:

Tea bags
kitchen sponge/scourer
washing up liquid
dishwasher tablets
washing powder
hand towel
tea towel
kitchen roll
coffee pot / filters
toilet roll
soap

I must be getting middle aged...
snow report
Credit card!
ski holidays
dobby, we fly and have now done a couple of self catering hols. I actually buy a few colemans sachet things - normally never use them but they're great for the ski hols as they're all your seasonings in one eg. chicken chasseur, beef borgignon - though I do help them along with some wine splashed in Wink
latest report
Quote:

a few colemans sachet things

yes, well worth the miniscule weight. Add a big splosh of wine, and the rest is cook's perks. Chamcham, I do find resort supermarkets more than equal to scourers, washing up liquid, soap and even coffee! And kitchen towels are one of the few things that seem to be consistently cheaper in France. And they take up loads of room in a suitcase!

I made an absolutely magnificent huge dish of dauphinoise potatoes tonight. With some assorted cold meats (all the supermarkets have those), a big bowl of green leaves and a fresh baguette, a truly great meal for 7 people, very little trouble, very little cost. Those red French potatoes are ace. 1 litre pack of UHT whole cream.
ski holidays
Though come to think of it, the dauphinoise needed freshly ground nutmeg, bay leaves, ground black pepper and salt, and garlic. That's why it's worth planning a bit - easy enough to bring some nutmeg and bay leaves, but silly to have to go out and hunt (probably fruitlessly) for big expensive packets in resort.

The Beaufort cheese, or near equivalent, could certainly be found in all French resorts.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott Ditto,
latest report
Key to dauphinoise is fine slicing. Don't know about nutmeg. I'll give it a try.
snow conditions
dobby, always Nutmeg and I add some very fine grated Parmigiano to the cream
ski holidays
pam w, The reason I take those thing is that I don't want to buy multiple packs of everything to use only one, whereas in your case, you can leave them in your cupboard for next time. Coffee filter papers are the worst. I buy a pack of fifty and use seven!
snow report
lots of wine and garlic in your cream for dauphinoise and you dont need the rest - its tasty enough as it is
ski holidays
if its not a private owned chalet/apartment then I will take a little bag of salt and pepper pre-mixed.

I also take 8 dishwasher tablets, little bag of coffee and tea bags.

Plan what you are going to eat before you go - if you plan carefully you really wont need to take much or buy stuff where loads gets wasted.

I did buy one coleman thing last year where you got a bag to cook everything in - it didnt work for us as the bag tried to expand beyond the size of the oven (they tend to be small) - so I just put it all in a dish in the end.
latest report
martinm, Why do you suggest taking peasants, I thought you could get them all over Europe
snow conditions
Geek post - in some apartments I've been to, they have internet but it is only one ethernet socket and no wireless! Take a wireless access point or a router, but if you take a router, you'll have to put into wireless access point only mode.
Then can use the wifi with your smartphone, Nintendo DS, PSP console, laptop, and anything else.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Spray oil is a useful addition

WD40?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Spray oil is a useful addition

WD40?

There speaks a man with a SHED
snow report
Don't take a dinner jacket unless going to SCGB Monday night at the Alpaka
ski holidays
Baked Beans - they cost a fortune in the English Section and, if you kids, there will be at least one time during the week when beans on toast is all they will want and all you can be bothered to do!!!!

Oh and while I'm packing I will sometimes take a UK sliced loaf and a block of normal hard cheese - can be useful for sarnies on route if nothing else
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
lots of wine and garlic in your cream for dauphinoise and you dont need the rest - its tasty enough as it is

agree that the nutmeg is required, but not the parmesan , although if I have any Gruyere, I will add some very thin slices.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to gratin dauphinois - a mixture of milk and cream, garlic, an optional smidgin of nutmeg, but no wine and definitely no cheese. The main reason I don't like tartiflette is that the combination of cream and cheese is just too rich/greasy for me.
snow report
My apartment has sharp knives with 2 steels if they are not sharp enough a full size oven, 4 hobs, slow cooker, pressure cooker, microwave, coffee perculator, cupboards full of pasta, spices, tins etc, wine in the rack which hopefully guests replace what they use, they usually do!holidayloverxx, We too have lots of various oils, they don't go off! I have also got about every mobile phone charger under the sun! and to to go with them a 4 way English extension lead fitted with a French plug at the end.
latest report
Pedantica, I've only recently started to add just a tiny bit of the Gruyere when I thought I was short of cream. I couldn't believe the difference,and I only added, at most a couple of ounces of wafter thin slices to a very large dauphinoise, nowhere near what I would add to a tartiflette.
Like you, I am usually a purist too.
snow report
Fogliettaz, I don't remove the oils either, in fact I leave a bottle of olive oil in a glass bottle for guests to use. I rarely have anything more than another replacement bottle in the cupboard, and perhaps a bottle of vegetable or sunflower oil. Perhaps because it is cool and dark in there it keeps longer. Certainly never rancid. Perhaps people are putting used oil back into the bottle?
I make sure I remove half-empty packets but will put pasta, rice, flour etc into a container where it will keep until my next visit if necessary. There's almost no months in the year now where I don't have a booking of some sort, even if it is just a weekend or two in October and November, so nothing stays untouched for long.
ski holidays
Flour is worth taking if you're only going to use a small bit e.g. for sauce thickening.
Basically anything you use a lot that lasts a long time (pepper+grinder as above, dried herbs).
Don't forget your Skye Gingell's 5 spice mix.
snow conditions
We leave all the above mentioned th ings available in our kitchen - generally nd up t the end od the season with packets of those coffe filters which I never use - there are three cafetieres and an electric coffee machine with built in filter so not sure what they get used fo.
snow report
Fogliettaz, OOOOO nice pimp, sweet and under the wire . . . kudos snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy