Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski jobs/chalet cooking course advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am hoping to do my first ski season this Winter, and wondering how best to approach job applications. I am 23 years old and graduated from university last year. I have plenty of office work experience and transferable skills (currently employed full-time), but minimal hospitality experience. My only customer service experience is a few weeks reception work, and I was the treasurer of a society which also involved organising and hosting events.

I am hoping that I will still be able to get work as a housekeeper/hotel assistant/chalet host despite being relatively inexperienced, as I am enthusiastic and friendly. I have already sent in a few applications and hoping to get the rest out ASAP. Does anyone have any advice for getting a job? Obviously, thanks to COVID and Brexit, things are very uncertain at the moment but I am hoping the season will still go ahead!

I would call myself a capable home cook - I really enjoy cooking and can definitely cook for other people, especially with some practice. I am aware however that being a chalet host is more difficult than just having a dinner party. I am concerned that I have no way of evidencing my cooking ability, and no professional experience. I was wondering whether I should take a cooking course to improve my chances of getting a job? Would I have to enrol/take the course before applying, or is committing to doing one if I get a job possible? Is it too late to be getting on a cooking course now if applications are opening? If I could get a job without one then I would prefer to just do that, but not sure what my chances are and very keen to get a job this season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads!

As you have identified this year is the perfect storm for first timers. There will be a lot of experience chasing fewer jobs so it will be difficult, never mind differing countries take on Brexit.

It may be a false economy to do a relatively expensive cookery course if fewer jobs ate available. Maybe stick to your admin skills and seek out jobs like that rather than a housekeeper. On this front your age and maturity will help, relative to the 18 year old.

A lot of the big companies will be mobbed with applicants so maybe target a resort and dig around for the smaller British companies who may still work on a more personal basis when compared with an on line scattergun approach. E.g. Ski Olympic in Les Arcs, Tignes Chalet Co in, guess where!

Best of luck

PS Don't discount driving as well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had you considered the USA? When talking to staff over there, it struck me that the personnel side was much more structured, with opportunities to move role and get experience. They also seem to value people who want to do more then just be a ski bum i.e. take on responsibility. If you can ski it seemed that there was also more opportunity to do things like group leading, without necessarily having o have the full gamut of formal ski instruction qualifications. Might be worth contacting some larger resorts (e.g. Heavenly Lake Tahoe, which is a big operation) to see if this is a goer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best qualification will be an Irish passport with Brexit. Parents or grandparents Irish?

Are Tignes Chalet Company still running? Denied my mate a refund. Website is well out of date advertising 19/20 deals
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Couple of sites that might help

https://www.seasonworkers.com/

http://jobs.natives.co.uk/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You are currently in full time employment... Then stick with it & go on a ski holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, Probably the best advice at present!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
You are currently in full time employment... Then stick with it & go on a ski holiday.

My contract ends in October and I am supposed to be on a 'gap year', having secured a training contract job at a law firm starting in 2022. I want to travel and this season may be my last opportunity to work in a ski resort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abooysen wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

My contract ends in October and I am supposed to be on a 'gap year', having secured a training contract job at a law firm starting in 2022. I want to travel and this season may be my last opportunity to work in a ski resort.

I would offer a "Whitegold" advice. Take out a loan and just ski!

Go where the virus has the least impact. And enjoy your holiday. The last thing you need for a gap year is to deal with all the uncertainty of a pandemic. How do you like to be stuck at a resort when the lifts are closed suddenly? Unlike a tourist who can just leave and go somewhere else, you're contract bound.

Work if you can find any odd jobs. Otherwise, just ski your heart out. You've got decades of working life ahead of you to return to,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 just ski

You won't be in any worse a position financially if you manage to save a bit up beforehand, but having the option to ski everyday for a few months is priceless.

Some good deals on season passes at various places this year, you could do it from a couple of different bases. If the 90 day in EU comes true you could do Dec(before rule comes in?), Jan, March and April. Feb too busy and expensive if you are limited to 90 days in EU
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hawkesbaynz, currently running at anything between 3-24m to get an irish passport if you are going grandparent route, once you’ve gathered every document ever issued so my advice is start now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hawkesbaynz wrote:
The best qualification will be an Irish passport with Brexit. Parents or grandparents Irish?

Due to Covid they have suspended processing existing applications and are not even accepting/registering new applications at the moment to register a foreign birth, which is needed before being able to apply for a passport.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abooysen wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

But you said you was in full time employment?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
abooysen wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

But you said you was in full time employment?

The two statements are not mutually exclusive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It might we be tricky this winter, but I’d ignore the naysayers and go for it. Especially if you’re about to embark on a legal career (I should know as I am one...and you’ll regret it if you don’t try and ski a season. I did it when I was 40). Personally, I liked the idea of working rather than just a long solo trip...it gave me a sense of purpose. I think avoid the lower end mass market employers in big party towns where the dreaded virus could easily spread. If your priority is skiing rather than nightlife take a look at these guys. There won’t be chef jobs as they use professionals, but it certainly seems a slick outfit- we see them buzzing about St Martin and their chalets are lovely and booked mostly by single groups https://whitemountain-chalets.com/three-valleys/work-for-us.html
ski holidays
I think this season presents a barrier to gap years, particularly for the inexperienced. (all the jobs will go to those with experience)

However, it also presents an opportunity for those left out. The opportunity is to use your brain to find an alternative to following the masses, and to make your year out more productive and useful for you.

The answer will be stay parochial. Avoid all travelling, look local, and consider what skills you do not have which may be useful in a future gap year skiing which would not involve working for other people.

If I was talking to myself at your age and situation, draw up a list of skills you would need for a solo ski season with no employment. Then look for local opportunities to gain these skills for low cost (eg.volunteering). It does not have to be volunteering, it could just be doing it and learning what costs and how to do it well for as little as possible. Often people are seduced by the lifestyles they see other people having on the internet, without realising that it is an illusion to trap you into a situation which you cannot get yourself out of.

I would prefer not to be specific about what skills you need, as that is personal. Try to focus mostly on the skills you are bad at, rather than those you are good at. Forget about what an employer might want, concentrate on what you want to be able to do. Always have fun doing it. Mundane tasks are often those nobody wants to do. Find a way of making them fun, and you will distract yourself from what will be a probematic season.

Personal development and confidence comes from realising what you are good at and bad at. If you learn at least what you are bad at you can mitigate these problems in later life by surrounding yourself with people who are good at your deficit.
ski holidays
Nixmap

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142703&highlight=nixmap
latest report
@abooysen, my daughter did a course after uni and it was a great way in to get a job as the Ski Co's came at the end of the week and offered jobs after a quick interview, ok twas a different political time etc

She stayed at one near Dorking but don't think that particular one is there now, more here on various schools

https://www.workaseason.com/cookery-schools/
ski holidays
@chocksaway, unfortunately I don't drive but I'll check out those companies thanks.

@Weathercam, thanks, looking into them now.
snow report
@Perty, that was my thinking - would much prefer the structure and purpose of a job. It seems like a good way to meet new people and fund the trip! Going to apply everywhere I can basically and cross my fingers...
ski holidays
The treasurer experience will be useful as from what I remember, you might need to manage your chalet's budget and shopping list. This might give you the edge over some competitors. Having managed to secure a training contract at a law firm also speaks for itself as I know that is very competitive and so you must have some strong attributes. From this I would judge that you are the type of candidate an employer would like. However, other huge parts of the job, perhaps just as important as cooking skills; are being warm and friendly, as you will be the face of the company; cleaning; a strong work ethic; and resilience. The job is hard and there will be a lot of challenges. Every season, the softies are weeded out in the first few weeks as they aren't used to it. Those who stay are valued so try and demonstrate this in your application.

For what it's worth, Le Ski are a great company to work for and treat their staff very well.

Working will open up a network of friends for life, similarly to university, not to mention the other skills and experiences you will gain.

I say go for it and do what you can to make it work.

*Note-the above ignores Brexit as I don't know enough about it. I dearly hope it does not scupper too many dreams.
snow report
@abooysen, as others have pointed out, the traditional seasonnaire job market may be tough in 2020/21. Given your office skills you may have enough to attract an employer looking to recruit for that type of work. So, it might be worth considering looking in the larger towns that are also actual or near-to ski resorts. There may be businesses there that would have suitable jobs.
Most of the large hotels I've stayed in in Switzerland seem to employ lots of foreign labour, so it must be possible. Try Davos. You may need to do a language crash course if you're not already fluent.
snow report
@abooysen, 20/21 season is going to be a strange one for all seasonnaires, and especially for newbies. If I were in your position I'd choose a resort and go there for the season, trying to pick up work once there. This does require that you have the funds to get through without any income for 5 months ie travel to & from resort accommodation, lift pass, insurance, kit (if not already owned), food , beer plus a reserve. As part of the same strategy I'd recommend going out to your chosen resort at least pre-season, or, if they have a summer season, now & going around the shops, bars, restaurants, hotels etc with your CV & selling yourself - you'd be surprised how many employers in resort are responsive to proactive jobseekers, and especially those who are proactive enough to beat the crowds that turn up after the start of the season. On a personal note I did five ski seasons - one in Meribel, working, and four in Tignes as a true ski bum (no job, just skied). Of the two options I'd recommend ski bum if you can afford it - the blue sky powder days always seem to be those days you can't get out of work!
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:
@abooysen, 20/21 season is going to be a strange one for all seasonnaires, and especially for newbies. If I were in your position I'd choose a resort and go there for the season, trying to pick up work once there.

Yep, always nice to cut out the middleman and deal with the employer directly.

Quote:
I'd recommend going out to your chosen resort at least pre-season, or, if they have a summer season, now & going around the shops, bars, restaurants, hotels etc with your CV & selling yourself - you'd be surprised how many employers in resort are responsive to proactive jobseekers, and especially those who are proactive enough to beat the crowds that turn up after the start of the season. On a personal note I did five ski seasons - one in Meribel, working, and four in Tignes as a true ski bum (no job, just skied). Of the two options I'd recommend ski bum if you can afford it - the blue sky powder days always seem to be those days you can't get out of work!

I also heard there're often positions opening up mid-season, when some of the workers either got injured, or some who weren't cut out to work and just left (or got fired for misconduct).
snow conditions
Quote:

Problem this season for UK passport holders is that local employers in the EU will not (legally) employ you without a work visa. Your only option is UK recruited seconded roles. The days of tipping up in resort and getting jobs are over for Brits.
snow report
@abooysen, Can you speak Italian and are you able to work in Italy in 2021?
snow report
RobinS wrote:
Quote:

Problem this season for UK passport holders is that local employers in the EU will not (legally) employ you without a work visa. Your only option is UK recruited seconded roles. The days of tipping up in resort and getting jobs are over for Brits.

Some will employ you, it's just a case of finding an employer that will. There isn't actually anything stopping you legally getting a job at the start of the season, employers are just wary about what happens come January 1st, but since anybody working a season should, in theory, be legally working in an EU country at the end of the withdrawal period, they are entitled to stay under the Withdrawal Agreement, subject to obtaining the relevant paperwork.
ski holidays
@abooysen, Don't know if this is of any help, but just seen this link on Tignes Seasonnaires page on Facebook:- www.empoli-tignes.fr
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kenzie, linky no worky
snow report
I assume it should be emploi not empoli?
snow report
@holidayloverxx, Kenzie can't spell, try this.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
@holidayloverxx, Kenzie can't spell, try this.

Thanks - sorry for the typo Embarassed
snow report
Car park host(ess) in Tignes? -they never had a hostess in the car parks when I parked there! Laughing
ski holidays
Ryunis wrote:
The job is hard and there will be a lot of challenges. Every season, the softies are weeded out in the first few weeks as they aren't used to it.

Sounds like perfect apprenticeship then to joining a law firm on a training contract..
latest report
@abooysen, Which languages do you speak other than English?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy