Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
@Davina Goldballs, from vague memory didn't the club used to use a fairly cheap hotel in Tignes, and I have some recollection of a rumour of supported prices from the lift pass company to keep the business in the area. Not entirely surprised that the cost has increased, the question really is whether £3K represents value for money. Personally, it clearly doesn't to me, but then somebody must be paying it because otherwise they wouldn't exist I guess. As long as somebody keeps paying it then they will keep charging what they do. Is Zermatt the cheapest option for the course? Probably not. Do the members want to pay more to go to Switzerland instead of cheaper resorts in Italy, Austria, France or anywhere else? I guess so.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was £995 back in 1998. Twin rooms in a 3-star(ish) hotel in Tignes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The £1300 I paid in 2003 didn't include a lift pass, which is now included in the price.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Davina Goldballs wrote:

But the last we heard from the SCGB was that they would continue the legal fight to have unqualified reps/leaders on the French slopes. Certainly if Brexit reduces the prospects for non-qualifying (in French eyes) BASI instructors teaching in France, then the prospects for SCGB reps would seem to be zilch in the extreme.

Well I'm just guessing about BASI instructors but clearly if freedom of movement ends it is going to get harder just to get a work permit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
@Davina Goldballs, from vague memory didn't the club used to use a fairly cheap hotel in Tignes, and I have some recollection of a rumour of supported prices from the lift pass company to keep the business in the area. Not entirely surprised that the cost has increased, the question really is whether £3K represents value for money. Personally, it clearly doesn't to me, but then somebody must be paying it because otherwise they wouldn't exist I guess. As long as somebody keeps paying it then they will keep charging what they do. Is Zermatt the cheapest option for the course? Probably not. Do the members want to pay more to go to Switzerland instead of cheaper resorts in Italy, Austria, France or anywhere else? I guess so.

I think that the ski club wants as best as is possible to run the course in as snow sure a resort that is possible in December. When you take the French resorts out of the equation I think Zermatt becomes the best option but obviously more expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It wouldn't make sense to hold it in France anymore since France is where the issues are with Leaders.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stephen buck, Latterly it was in the Levanna, which was upgraded about a decade ago to a very decent 3 star in terms of facilities, the atmosphere has always been a bit lacking and the bar pricey. But @sethpistol, the lady owner was spitting feathers at ESF when she lost out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway wrote:
But @sethpistol, the lady owner was spitting feathers at ESF when she lost out.

'Hell hath no fury...', quite literally in her case wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richjp wrote:

I think that the ski club wants as best as is possible to run the course in as snow sure a resort that is possible in December. When you take the French resorts out of the equation I think Zermatt becomes the best option but obviously more expensive.

Cervinia? Much cheaper and literally the same terrain
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not really. The wind closes the connexion. And the runs on the Cervinia side aren't at all the same thing, and the village isn't really the same thing either. Sure, check them both out, but I know which I'd pick. Especially early season, when you want guaranteed glacier access and that's what you get from the Swiss side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, only visited Cervina for one day. The skiing there that I came across was bland in comparison with Zermatt's.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess it depends if you are there for a course, or if you are there on a jolly. I've done courses in Hemel snowdome, it doesn't really matter for a lot of things whether the view is any good, whether the restaurants have lovely terraces, to run a leaders course how much terrain do you really need beyond a range of pistes (they don't go off piste any more, do they?) and accommodation and food that does its job.

All this said, if you have a £3k entry fee, it does rather keep the riff raff from signing up.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it depends if you are there for a course, or if you are there on a jolly. I've done courses in Hemel snowdome, it doesn't really matter for a lot of things whether the view is any good, whether the restaurants have lovely terraces, to run a leaders course how much terrain do you really need beyond a range of pistes (they don't go off piste any more, do they?) and accommodation and food that does its job.

All this said, if you have a £3k entry fee, it does rather keep the riff raff from signing up.

The usual inverted snobbery that snowHeads is so famous for. How much does a couple of weeks skiing with guides and instructors every day and staying half board normally cost? What courses have you been doing and how much did they cost?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, only visited Cervina for one day. The skiing there that I came across was bland in comparison with Zermatt's.

It's a training course not an extremeo gnar gnar tear up the most aggressive terrain contest & the point being that weather permitting you can access ofver to Zermatt terrain easily enough (& if weather not permitting I question whether you'd want to be in Zermatt's better terrain anyway. But I was only offering a counterpoint to we can't do it in France therefore Zermatt. It's really up to SKGB members whether they want to foot the bill etc - it may well be worth the price to them notwithstanding it clearly used to cost a lot less.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Davina Goldballs wrote:
SCGB REPS (LEADERS) COURSE PRICES, OVER THE YEARS ...

2012 ... Tignes ..... "approx.£1350"
2015 ... Zermatt ... £2899
2016 ... Zermatt ... £2899
2017 ... Zermatt ... £2999

[see posting above for sources of prices quoted]

Gerry wrote:
£1300 is what I paid in 2003, so the Natives figures are wrong for the quoted year.

You've had 3 days to ascertain the correct information ... which couldn't be simpler, since you work for Freshtracks.
You said Natives got it wrong, so why haven't you asked Freshtracks for the correct information and presented it to us?
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, what are you going on about you retarded little twot? £1300 is what I paid in 2003, therefore the figure given by natives is wrong.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-07-17 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
.......It's a training course not an extremeo gnar gnar tear up the most aggressive terrain contest .........

When I was a member of the SCGB, I got the impression that the reps' course certainly did involve some gnarly skiing - on and off piste. Not surprising since, at suitable resorts, the rep's programme would have an off-piste day which would attract some very high standard skiers.
snow report
achilles wrote:
.......It's a training course not an extremeo gnar gnar tear up the most aggressive terrain contest .........

When I was a member of the SCGB, I got the impression that the reps' course certainly did involve some gnarly skiing - on and off piste. Not surprising since, at suitable resorts, the rep's programme would have an off-piste day which would attract some very high standard skiers.

Yeah, Phil Smith likes to push people on with their technique. Maybe he needs to talk to Dave of the Muppets though, as he clearly knows best.
snow conditions
Troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll, troll, counter troll...............yawn. Time for bed.
latest report
@mcspreader, I reckon they will eventually fall in love and get married. Remember how mean you were to a girl you fancied when you were nine?

Davina needs to get his butt plug out though. Gerry asked stantroll for a date a couple of days ago. At this rate Davina could end up being a barren spinster. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
@mcspreader, I reckon they will eventually fall in love and get married. Remember how mean you were to a girl you fancied when you were nine?

Davina needs to get his butt plug out though. Gerry asked stantroll for a date a couple of days ago. At this rate Davina could end up being a barren spinster. Laughing Laughing Laughing

You owe me for half a regular Americano ......... and a new keyboard Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Yet it still seems to be working. Anyway, stop licking TH's back bottom, dogs do that.
snow report
Gerry wrote:
achilles wrote:

Yeah, Phil Smith likes to push people on with their technique. Maybe he needs to talk to Dave of the Muppets though, as he clearly knows best.

I stand corrected - no doubt a string of SCGB reps will be dominating the podium at the next FWT.
snow conditions
Gerry wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Yet it still seems to be working. Anyway, stop licking TH's back bottom, dogs do that.

I had a madras and 14 pints of Guinness last night. (see posting time). The dog won't even come into the same room today.

Anyway - Red Leon...I've posted you a regular Americano and half a keyboard. I only had one jiffy bag but I hope it works out......

oh...wait
snow report
Open message to sH moderators ...

I assume that the moderation strategy applied to snowHeads these days is 'self moderation' or 'community moderation'. That's absolutely fine if it's fairly and equally applied. We can all drink to that.

Open message to Gerry Aitken ...

Four senior officials of the Ski Club of Great Britain received the email below, earlier this week.
You've now had 5 days to ascertain the price of the 2012 SCGB reps course in Tignes ... as above ... so we can resolve whether Natives' report of 20 July 2012 was right or you are right (that they were "wrong"). You seem to have an issue with 'journalism' generally, so why not do it better?

More generally you've had about 15 years of 'social media' to reform yourself into a regular reasonable member of the human race - in other words, to be sociable about things - and to behave in a manner appropriate to an organisation which has a member of the Royal Family (The Duke of Kent) as its patron. You are, after all, a uniformed representative of the SCGB (est. 1903) and a former director.

---------------------------------------------------------------
[Addressees: 4 senior SCGB officials, names redacted]

Gentlemen,

7th email concerning Gerry Aitken

Just to alert you that the following posting will appear on the snowHeads forum later today, with your names redacted, unless I hear from you during today. This matter will then be escalated if not dealt with.
I am not contactable today, except by email.
Regards, David Goldsmith

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 July 2017

To:
[names redacted - 4 senior SCGB officials]
Ski Club of Great Britain

Gentlemen,

This is the 7th email I've sent the SCGB since November 2015 concerning the abuse, libel and general offensiveness of your representative and former director Gerry Aitken. [as you know, this has been kept private until now, but there has been no response at all from the Club to any of these communications].

Most recently Gerry Aitken has specifically referred to a report by Natives in 2012 which quoted the price of the 2012 SCGB reps course in Tignes as "approx £1350". Aitken says this was "wrong".

Since Gerry Aitken works for Freshtracks and has ready access to your archived information, I politely pointed that out to him that he could correct the Natives information with the correct information, as researched. His response was "what are you going on about you retarded little twot?". Specifically ...

Gerry wrote:
what are you going on about you retarded little twot?

Source: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=94856&start=4600#3085371

The alternative actions you need to take concerning this person are pretty obvious - at the very minimum, some re-education/re-training (perhaps a 'SCGB Leader Course module in Public Relations') ... and you could kindly suggest to him that an apology is in order. But really, of course, you need to take much more assertive and clear action about this man's appalling conduct, which has led to several resignations of SCGB members and which has damaged the Club's image so greatly.

Regards

David Goldsmith
latest report
that really is pathetic ..
latest report
@limegreen1, sorry, what are you referring to as pathetic?

David Goldsmith's post?

The lack of response from Ski Club?

Gerry Aitkin's conduct as a representative of the above?

Something else I've not picked up on?

We're not mind readers!
snow conditions
maggi wrote:

The entire thread I should imagine. It should really be on the SCGB forum, but I guess nobody reads that, so their internal squabbles have to be aired here. Pathetic, and adds nothing to SH.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maggi, The pathetic bit is two idiots arguing over nothing. They have been back biting each other for several years and haven't realised that everyone else is laughing at them for being brain dead. HtH wink
ski holidays
"Pathetic" ?

The only truly pathetic input to this thread was the opening post (or OPP=opening pathetic post) by an apparent employee of the SCGB ...

Gotoma86 wrote:
Wow, Ski Club of Great Britain have re-launched their chat forum and it looks good. Simple sign-up, you don't need to become a member plus they seem to have introduced profiles as well. Well this will be fun, who's going to jump ship and start using the Tea Club forum then?[/url]

... who strangely referred to his/her masters as "the Tea Club". It struck me as odd at the time (2012) for the Ski Club of Great Britain - which I originally joined in 1962, served as an elected member of its council, and worked under six successive editors of its magazine - to be putting out a corporate message that demeans its status to a community that discusses tea bags. Let's be serious for a moment: if the staff of an organisation which once led the world in recreational skiing and whose most famous member established the international rules of Alpine ski racing, nickname their Club as "the Tea Club" ... isn't that just a bit worrying?

The SCGB has every means at its disposal to restore its relevance and status, so it's a mystery as to why this is not happening.

telford_mike wrote:
Is there any particular reason why this thread isn't simply deleted? It seems to exist only to serve the egos of a few sad old men.

telford_mike wrote:
maggi wrote:

The entire thread I should imagine. It should really be on the SCGB forum, but I guess nobody reads that, so their internal squabbles have to be aired here. Pathetic, and adds nothing to SH.

"telford_mike", please declare your interests! Your repeated calls for censorship, or effective censorship, are likely to fall upon deaf eyes. The current score of this 5-year-strong thread is almost 300,000 hits from around 5,000 posts. That's a very healthy average of 60 hits per new post, with (it's believed) hundreds of satisfied snowHeads taking a more occasional interest in the unfolding yarn. Most importantly, loads of everyday sHs and trolls contribute interesting points of view to this discussion. If people want to read something, and talk about something, why shovel it into the circular filing cabinet?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest news item (3 days ago) from the SCGB's student 'brand' Line-S ...
https://www.line-s.co.uk/

Quote:
Love writing? Love riding? Looking for a job? The we have something for you!
Become part of the Line-S and Ski Club of Great Britain family next season - apply to join the team by following the link below...

["The" may mean "Then"]

Facebook link ...
https://www.facebook.com/linesgb/posts/1744903012469326

Job ad ...
Digital Communications Assistant
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2017/07/ski-club-is-hiring-could-you-be-our-next-communications-assistant

Quote:

Contract: Temporary, full time
Start month: October 2017
End month: March 2017

Surely some mistake. Is this an opportunity for a time lord?
latest report
Quote:
"telford_mike", please declare your interests!

I can exclusively reveal that telford_mike may well really be Dr. Evil, who is even now stroking a cat whilst plotting World domination! Shocked

Alternatively he may just be another snowHead who deprecates the never ending DG/Gerry slanging match . Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, actual cost of the 2012 course was 2299. I got that figure directly from two people who were on the course.
ski holidays
As further evidence of how non-pathetic this 5-year thread actually is ... here's a comparison with another high-volume snowThread ...

NEW SKI CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN CHAT FORUM -V- BREXIT

New Ski Club of Great Britain Chat Forum

Pages: 116
Number of contributors (last 3 pages): 34
Views: 299,230
Views per post: 64.61

Brexit

Pages: 328
Number of different contributors (last 3 pages): 21
Views: 166,878
Views per post: 12.72

In other words, the number of active posters, rubberneckers, insomniacs, robots and ordinary members of the human race on this SCGB thread seems to outnumber the Brexit thread by a factor of up to 5. Both threads maintain a healthy rate of participation, but fascination with the future of the Ski Club of Great Britain (it does, after all, concern skiing not politics) continues unabated.
snow report
@Davina Goldballs, I don't think the future of the SCGB is of the remotest interest to the bulk of this thread's readers. What is fascinating is the mud-bath wrestling between you and Gerry.
ski holidays
More like old grannies having a handbag fight.

I'm not viewing it because of SCGB content, or thread interest. I'm viewing it for the popcorn worthy scrap. I know I'm not alone.
Quote:

Both threads maintain a healthy rate of participation

rubber necking is not participation
this post has made the post count increment, but has not incremented the participation, in case you want to update your stats tracking
snow report
Kill and erase the thread
Ban Comedy Gobshite and Gerry if they try to resurrect it
Time for us all to move on
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
What is fascinating is the mud-bath wrestling between you and Gerry.

As this is a snow related forum I think snow on the ground rather than mud is more appropriate for a tussle between the two protagonists, maybe a bit like these bighorn sheep with their headbutting bonanaza.....

http://youtube.com/v/E6Fx3CaJhgk

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Alastair Pink, those rams look a bit butch for David and Gerry! Laughing
snow report
@maggi, I thought that - but you came out with the right words Laughing
ski holidays
Davina Goldballs wrote:

In other words, the number of active posters, rubberneckers, insomniacs, robots and ordinary members of the human race on this SCGB thread seems to outnumber the Brexit thread by a factor of up to 5. Both threads maintain a healthy rate of participation, but fascination with the future of the Ski Club of Great Britain (it does, after all, concern skiing not politics) continues unabated.

Davina....no-one gives a flying fuck about the thread content. We just come here to point and laugh at you and Gerry. Is that difficult to understand?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy