Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The good ship Janet Nettleship comes across as a sensible person. ...

Indeed.

I enjoyed the sales chap's suggestion that people who don't buy insurance must ski with bags of 500 Euro notes or the nasty Frenchies will leave them to die on the slopes.

We can't actually tell if he's selling directly on behalf of the SCGB. If he was doing that, and deliberately providing misleading information in order to sell insurance, that may be sailing extremely close to the wind.

My personal insurance card has the word "VISA" written on it, and I know that works anywhere, anyplace, any time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philwig wrote:
If he was ... deliberately providing misleading information in order to sell insurance, that may be sailing extremely close to the wind.

He would be sailing very much on the wrong side of the wind. The FCA (and the Courts) would take a very dim view of any intermediary who was attempting to flog insurance products which the client did not need or who was using misleading statements to do so.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philwig wrote:
My personal insurance card has the word "VISA" written on it, and I know that works anywhere, anyplace, any time.

Only it doesn't Laughing Some want cash and that's the only option. So they'll impound your skis while someone goes to the hole in the wall. Guess what country!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, do we have any recent ie last season evidence of cash being demanded.
I have a feeling that the story refereed to above was the one reported on here at Val Thorens some 5 or 6 years ago now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin wrote:
Bode Swiller, do we have any recent ie last season evidence of cash being demanded.
I have a feeling that the story refereed to above was the one reported on here at Val Thorens some 5 or 6 years ago now.

I certainly don't have evidence per se (this is an internet forum not a Government enquiry snowHead ) but I often hear it talked about and, yes, seen it referred to on here more than once. Mate of mine was in Alp D'Huez last season and one of his group had the old skis-impounded-until-cash-paid malarkey.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

" ... this is an internet forum not a Government enquiry ... "

Quote of the Day, without a doubt. No one will better this today.
Congratulations to Swiller. Your badge (right) is in the post, along with a quote I recently received from a plumber (which is inferior).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:

I take it the distinction being drawn here, Your Honour, is that between cash (so convenient to pocket) and consumer-friendly plastic. We won't mention the impounded skis as collateral.

I'm naive enough (internationally) not to know how things differ - in terms of 'cash' collection - between the rescue/ambulance/heli operators of different Alpine countries. My understanding is that Great Britain stands proud in executing its mountain rescues without any of this mercenary activity. Volunteers play a major role (perhaps in ski patrol, as well as more extreme rescuers who also sometimes jeopardise their own lives) and the cost is worried about later. I seem to recall the families of victims making generous donations to these services where it is obvious that a life has been saved, or other lives have been put at risk.

If countries derive national income from tourism, then perhaps their governments should recognise that occasionally their guests will get into life-threatening difficulty and need the assistance of the nation concerned. But that would be a perfect world, and we have to deal with what exists.

All this is a slight digression from the role of a national ski club in achieving the best results/services for its members ... and the rescue services obviously (and regrettably) have to be understood and negotiated with, until international standards improve.

If Carte Neige is the best scheme out there, then maybe that's the best one to go with. [Stewart Woodward - your link didn't seem to reveal the list of countries it applies to. ]

[end of editorial. Other editorials are available]
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Check the comments after this posting (dated 6 January), including those of a man saved
Just in context to the latest area of conversation above ...

A posting from a team which doesn't check for cash or plastic. Anyone who knows the conditions on Cairngorm (the mountain has the record for the highest wind speed ever recorded in Britain. I was once caught in a violent whirlwind on one of the draglifts. The mists can have a terrifying impact on orientation) will have a clue as to what was involved here ... deep into the night of Monday, after being alerted after dusk on Sunday.

An integrated understanding of all elements of mountain life, sport and workers could be a clue as to how Britain's skiers might be best represented and congregated in the future (if the concept of a national skiers' organisation remains relevant) ...

Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team on Facebook [where this posting was made]:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cairngorm-Mountain-Rescue-Team/178035725541508

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SCGB Snow Report Auto Phrases - today's winners

Here are the current 'summarised' snow reports for the 30 resorts where SCGB leaders are located this winter.
The full tabulations, with snow depths: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowconditions.aspx#.Us_ggPvUbIX
In our last bulletin (6 Jan) the winner was "Great conditions - wax up your skis!" - 12 uses.

Today's winner is the classic authoritative "The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes" - 8 uses.

Also doing well today are "Very good piste conditions, best at top" (4) and "Good skiing on well groomed pistes" (also 4)

Those phrases in full:

Soldeu:Good skiing on well groomed pistes
Ischgl: Best skiing on groomed runs, variable elsewhere
Kitzbuhel: Spring conditions across the resort
Obergurgl: Very good piste conditions, best at top
Zell am See: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Fernie: A dusting of snow has improved the pistes
Whistler: Improving conditions thanks to the new snow
Alpe d'Huez: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Argentiere: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Avoriaz: Fast skiing on hard packed pistes
Courchevel: Great conditions - wax up your skis!
Flaine: Typical spring snow, firm in the morning, slushy in the afternoon
La Plagne: Spring conditions across the resort
Les Arcs: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Meribel: Very good piste conditions, best at top
Tignes: Very good piste conditions, best at top
Val d'Isere: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Val Thorens: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Cervinia: Good skiing on well groomed pistes
Sauze d'Oulx: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Davos: Pockets of fresh powder can be found off piste
Grindelwald: The best conditions can be found on the upper slopes
Klosters: Good skiing on well groomed pistes
Murren: Spring conditions across the resort
Saas Fee: Great conditions - wax up your skis!
Verbier: Spring conditions across the resort
Wengen: Good skiing on well groomed pistes
Zermatt: Very good piste conditions, best at top
Aspen: Great skiing thanks to the recent snowfalls
Jackson Hole: A dusting of snow has improved the pistes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If only they had the foresight to employ you. I am sure you could manage 30 different discriptons.

Usually I only go to one resort a day, so would probably read that one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Errrr ... [irony] ... they did employ me, for over ten years, in an arrangement which generated not a single repeat description.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
.. I'm naive enough (internationally) not to know how things differ - in terms of 'cash' collection - between the rescue/ambulance/heli operators of different Alpine countries. My understanding is that Great Britain stands proud in executing its mountain rescues without any of this mercenary activity.

I think the word you're struggling for is "ignorant"; naive doesn't cover it, and "ignorant" is not a pejorative before you take offence. If you'd used the correct word, then you'd not have gone on to compound your error with the nationalistic stuff, which is simply incorrect.

These little insurance-company anecdotes are no real substitute for facts. I think people just need to get out more - spend your money on travel, not useless insurance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn't say "unique", I said "proud". "Ignorant" is fine.

So ... if we agree that a skier (or any other sportsperson/hiker) on a British mountain will be got to an ambulance and then to a hospital FOC ... is it not right that we should identify which Alpine countries will do the same or - conversely - require payment?

No, I don't know the answer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Errrr ... [irony] ... they did employ me, for over ten years, in an arrangement which generated not a single repeat description.

Errrr irony, we know that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith, Wouldn't it be constructive to stop pointing out that the Teat Club snow reports are either bad plagiarism, magic (potentially dangerous) bullsh** or lazy incompetence and produce a more accurate thread here?

We all know that the Club couldn't find snow in the Arctic so we should at least have a regular report on snowheads . . . I nominate you.
latest report
Masque ... not my bag, but this may help ...

http://www.j2ski.com/snow_forecast/

Don't know how j2ski source their data, or how it compares for accuracy/descriptive quality. Anyone with any sense these days goes to several sources (including webcams and skier reports on sites like this) rather than just an 'album' site.

snowHeads, of course, has much social snow reporting - and this community is doing a great self-supportive job - though admin's gone very quiet recently with his regular round-up bulletins ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snow_reports.php

This could be a season (Europe and US) when quality of snow reporting will be of competitive importance between ski sites.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
I didn't say "unique", I said "proud". "Ignorant" is fine.

You're twisting and turning.

I've personally either rescued, or helped get rescued, multiple people around the world in various mountains. In no case did any of us refuse to assist because the patients did not have local currency in their pockets. The idea of people bleeding to death on the slopes of French Ski resorts because they don't have some insurance company badge is incredible.

If your real question is: "would it not be a good idea to have a non-commercial summary of rescue costs in various mountain areas", I'd say "perhaps". Certainly the insurance industry or anyone dependent on it (SCGB...) isn't going to do it. Neither am I - I know the costs (free) where I ride, I don't care if others want to insure against that risk.
latest report
philwig wrote:
... the nationalistic stuff ... is simply incorrect.

Being proud of one's country for providing free mountain rescue and free transport to hospital isn't being "nationalistic". It's being patriotic.

philwig wrote:

I've personally either rescued, or helped get rescued, multiple people around the world in various mountains. In no case did any of us refuse to assist because the patients did not have local currency in their pockets.

Sorry to doubt the value of that anecdotal evidence, but "so what?" The SCGB, and many others, have set up insurance schemes (being discussed/compared here) because skiers are charged to get to hospital. It's absurd to suggest that people aren't billed for these services, because of some experience you've had somewhere in the world. It's madness to go skiing abroad without insurance, for all sorts of reasons.

philwig wrote:
The idea of people bleeding to death on the slopes of French Ski resorts because they don't have some insurance company badge is incredible.

Yes it is incredible, and nobody says it happens.

philwig wrote:
If your real question is: "would it not be a good idea to have a non-commercial summary of rescue costs in various mountain areas", I'd say "perhaps".

But that isn't the real question, and we don't need to know that information.

philwig wrote:
I know the costs (free) where I ride, I don't care if others want to insure against that risk.

So you ride where there is no cost of rescue, transport to hospital and medical treatment. But we're not talking about the UK, or any other country where those costs aren't charged to the skier. We're talking about countries where the rescue/ambulance/medical services bill the skier.
ski holidays

Another job ad at the SCGB: Digital Communications Assistant (3 month contract)

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=9056#.UtPibvvUbIU
[NB no closing date mentioned]
It's a Sochi-related position. The opening ceremony is on 7 February.

There are indications of significant changes at the White House, with a new editor for the SCGB's magazine in the offing (no news on that, as yet, applications closed at the end of Nov 2013), new head of IT expected and word of upheavals in the PR/Press dept.

This one is quite surprising. Although the SCGB (and its members) is bound to take an interest in Sochi, it's nothing hugely out of the ordinary in terms of news/reportage ... and the Club gave up being the governing body of British ski racing in the early 1960s.

When I was last able to access the info. the Club was employing in the region of 28 people - about double its staffing level when servicing similar numbers of members (around 15,000 subscriptions) 20-30 years ago ... and seemingly providing significantly more for them in that era.
latest report
Does anyone really care.
ski holidays
chogman wrote:
Does anyone really care, enough to bump/boost this thread in their very first posting to snowHeads.

Fixed it for you, Comedy chogman!
snow report

SCGB director Gerry Aitken [PJSki]
Interesting factette ...

... for anyone still harbouring doubts that Gerry Aitken writes the posts of PJSki on snowHeads:

The past fortnight has seen complete 'radio silence' from either Gerry Aitken or PJSki.

Gerry Aitken last posted (using his real name) on the SCGB forum on 2 Jan 2014
PJ Ski last posted on snowHeads on 3 Jan at 22:23*

The panel (right) indicates that Gerry Aitken has spent the period 4 Jan to date at the Swiss resort of Nendaz.

Have Gerry Aitken and PJSki been seen in the same room together...
... in the "welcoming and friendly Hotel Le Déserteur"?
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubfreshtracks/holiday.aspx?holidayID=2465#.UtkdO_vUbIU

* The post was one of 14 PJSki postings that day on the thread concerning Michael Schumacher, starting with:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106009&start=280#2429955

ski holidays
FFS Goldwassock, WE DON'T CARE who anybody 'really' is. Do grow up. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
WE DON'T CARE

Who is this "WE" exactly? You and the royal family of Les 2 Alpes?

Unless I'm very mistaken, Gerry Aitken's actions and activities over the past 12 years are highly significant to the SCGB/sH narrative and outcome. The reason for that may be harder to determine. You're not obliged to read all this crap, and any further pointless comment of the (condescending) quality above will cost you 1 Alpe [new forfeit rule]. At present you have 2, so guard them carefully!
snow conditions

Following his return from Nendaz, SCGB director Gerry Aitken is back on the SCGB forum ... with a 'pro-business' posting, not necessarily what members above want to hear. The comment doesn't quite address the issue of why "Ski Club+" isn't available to all policy-holders ... or (to adopt other national ski club models) why universal insurance isn't the basis of the membership package ...

... "insurance for all". This ain't rocket science.

Source of image [page 2 of a 2-page thread]:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-general?discussionID=14660&page=2#.UtuVhvunyfU
ski holidays
I may be mistaken by my quick read through but how this reads to me is that the basic Ski Club insurance does not cover getting you off the mountain or your first treatment so they expect you to pay for a second insurance to cover that, if so it seems very odd, both Snowcard and Dogtag issue their customers with a card/metal tag to do what the Fogg card seems to be offering and do so as part of your insurance pack, you don't have to pay extra.

That said I tend to ski in Switzerland where they recover you and treat you first and then sort out the bills later, most people I've met who have had to be treated have not had a prolem, simply saying they called the insurers and that was it, Swiss hospitals and apparently even some Doctors seem happy to deal direct with the insurers rather than demanding payment from you and letting you sort it out
latest report
D G Orf, SCGB insurance does cover the costs of getting one off the mountain - the Fogg option is open to any member - some of whom might be travelling on less specific snow sports cover. I did not pay to be taken off in France - just gave my insurance details - but perhaps the Fr*gs have had problems collecting from some insurers since then ?
But I agree that the card or similar, if now considered necessary/ advisable, should be included for those members who choose SCGB insurance.
latest report
Heavens, is this still going on? And there's not even any poetry.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyrew, you rang?

there once was a man in a club
whom up the wrong way he did rub
when they kicked him out
he did scream and shout
and now he's on here thumping tub.
snow conditions
Laughing
ski holidays
Cacciatore, Bump?

wink
ski holidays
Picking up where we left things ... [hello, by the way!] ...

SKI CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN 2014 ANNUAL REPORT [unofficial]

Item 1: Membership

Until the 2014 figure is declared in the official Ski Club of GB annual report, here are a couple of clues (to the apparent difficulty the SCGB has in counting its members) ...

On the SCGB Facebook page it currently says "over 33,000 members". In the SCGB Media Pack it says "around 29,000 members".

So, that's a good start - a discrepancy today of over 10%. What did it say in the last annual report (2013)? The figure given there ... for 30 April 2013 ... was "30,110".

Now, because that's not a rounded number, you'd think it would be accurate. Unfortunately, though, it's actually where a greater mystery
begins ...

The last time the SCGB quoted a membership figure in the form it's traditionally given - 'paying units' (total subscriptions, rather than some grossed-up membership figure) - was 2011. The Club has not confirmed its paying units for the 3 years since then. The 'paying units' figure given in the 2011 annual report was 17,114. Along with a gross membership figure of 31,448 for that year.

The problem is that all these figures at or around 30,000 appear to be mathematically impossible.
And the higher they go, the more impossible they appear.

When you join the SCGB as an individual, you're one member and one 'paying unit'. When you take out a family subscription, you get a standard two memberships (possibly for voting and ownership reasons). This diagram couldn't be clearer: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/join/default.aspx#.U_3uBaOCZ8M

Let's deal with 2011, since it's the last time 'paying units' were declared. In that year, 11,889 'paying units' were individuals, and there were 5225 family paying units.

So, doubling the 5225 figure to get the total family membership, it was 10,450. Add the total individuals (11,889) and you get 22,339.

So, the 2011 total SCGB membership (on the basis of that calculation) was 22,339. But the Club claimed 31,448.

Have I got something wrong here? Are we dealing with an organisation that simply can't add up?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 27-08-14 17:07; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
ski holidays
Ah, Dangerous Bach
latest report
Quote:
There are 41311 registered snowHeads

Therefore, 42,000 ski club members Wink
They're just slack at updating the webby/farcebook.
latest report
David Goldsmith,
I could have done with you reappearing yesterday. I've just bought the mushette a skateboard.
snow report
Well I hope it isn't motorised. Testing this one in 1977, I found the acceleration totally unsatisfactory ...

.. and the helmet was ridiculous. It had no chin-strap.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 27-08-14 16:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Welcome to snowheads.

Member = Anyone they can claim? Kids, dogs, freebies given to the local Gendarmarie so they don't get the cell with Big Yves when they're hauled in for "socially facilitating"
Paying Unit = Actual hard earned handed over
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, haha. Brilliant photo! Very Happy
snow report
DB,
He is usually Off 'n Back

http://www.welt-der-operette.com/O/offenbach/Offenbach1.jpg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy