Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Shant but presumably way north of 30,000.

Even the Cloggies have 100,000 apparently.

I would think the FIS is the largest snowsports organisation in the world.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More than 300k (supposedly), but who knows how any of them (incl. sH) count statistics.

That "largest in the world" (or largest in Europe) has been there for a long time. I remember that claim back when I lived 3 stops up the district line from SKGB, and that must have been before the turn of the millenium.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swiller is getting towards the size of the German Ski Association (DSV) but has a long way to go.

andy, a resident of Germany (it says there), is getting closer. The figure of "over 300,000" does pop up in this article ...

http://www.insuranceinsight.com/insurance-insight/feature/2243916/winter-sports-a-downhill-market

... but it's the number of insurance policies they sell and I believe this is well short of the membership figure. If anyone cares to enquire with DSV it would be interesting to see the authoritative current number. One figure I've seen is highly impressive, but we know how much skiing is loved by the country that hosts the largest sports (and snowsports) trade fair in the world ... a gigantic affair ...

http://www.ispo.com/prj_52/view/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
actually i lied about how they count stats.

I thought SKGB seem to take sH registered member count, round it up to the next 5000, and claim a membership in excess of that Wink

300,000+ is mentioned on the DSV webby somewhere. It's certainly a figure I could believe.

Also remember somewhere quoting that UK has the highest number of regular skiers in EU too. Presumably that is an easy conclusion to come to if you count total number of 6-day package holidays sold. Of course most of the rest of Europe don't do 6-day package holidays, so UK's only competition on that statisitic are Ireland and Netherlands.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.deutscherskiverband.de/ueber_uns_der_dsv_zahlen_fakten_de,470.html

650,000, but my German isn't that great so I could have the wrong end of the pole.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.deutscherskiverband.de/ueber_uns_der_dsv_zahlen_fakten_de,470.html

650,000, but my German isn't that great so I could have the wrong end of the pole.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a quick question ... while we count members in the German Ski Association ...

When and where is the SCGB leaders training course this year? All the Freshtracks holiday programme content is on the SCGB site, and the leaders (reps) seem to have been assigned to their various resorts/holidays etc., but the course details don't seem to be there ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubleaders/becomeaskiclubleader/skiclubleaderscourse.aspx#.UiAhEH9q3IU

Last year's course dates are quoted there as "provisional", but presumably it happened. Can anyone shed any light on this?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One further point: the leaders programme states ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubleaders/default.aspx#.UiAmj39q3IU

Quote:
The Ski Club has hundreds of volunteer Leaders active in 33 resorts.

... but I can only count 30 resorts in the list: Andorra (1), Austria (4), Canada (2), France (11), Italy (2), Switzerland (8), USA (3)

I've a feeling (without checking) that 33 was the figure last winter, so maybe 3 have dropped out for the coming winter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
*ahem* 1+4+2+11+2+8+3=31
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're quite right, Richard. Thank you. I've just called an engineer to investigate why my mental arithmetic app failed at 05:08 this morning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
*ahem* 1+4+2+11+2+8+3=31

Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perhaps they counted Les 2 Alps twice?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, LOL wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
One further point: the leaders programme states ...

Quote:
The Ski Club has hundreds of volunteer Leaders active in 33 resorts.

... but I can only count 30 resorts in the list: Andorra (1), Austria (4), Canada (2), France (11), Italy (2), Switzerland (8), USA (3)

I've a feeling (without checking) that 33 was the figure last winter, so maybe 3 have dropped out for the coming winter.

I believe Banff and Vail are missing from last year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As far as I can make out, for winter 2013-4, the SCGB resorts will be ...

ANDORRA
Soldeu
AUSTRIA
Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Obergurgl, Zell am See
CANADA
Fernie, Whistler
FRANCE
Alpe d'Huez, Argentiere, Avoriaz, Courchevel, Flaine, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Meribel, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Val Thorens
ITALY
Cervinia, Sauze d'Oulx
SWITZERLAND
Davos, Grindelwald, Klosters, Murren, Saas Fee, Verbier, Wengen, Zermatt
USA
Aspen, Breckenridge, Jackson Hole

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-08-13 15:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Do SKGB members actually ski in Andorra, or is that where they send the under 24s ?
snow report
Do SKGB members actually ski in Andorra, or is that where they send the under 24s ?
snow conditions
snow conditions
surely they'll be the dependents on family memberships, and going there on uni ski club trips

PS liking the postcount accrual techniques
ski holidays
Quote:

liking the postcount accrual techniques

Laughing
latest report
Trick question: any fule kno there are no members of the SKGB under 50.
snow report
Looking at the past five annual reports, the total number of skiers (that's members and non-members) skiing with a rep in Andorra has been between 42 and 79 per winter.

Overall, the total numbers (members+non-members) per season skiing with all SCGB reps have fallen from 6652 (five years ago: winter 2007-8) to 5230 last winter.

The number of people who skied with a rep in winter 1991-2 was "approx 15,000", according to the 1992 annual report. There were 31 SCGB resorts in that winter.

Overall, as far as I can make out, about 15% of SCGB members use the rep/leader service in any winter, so approx. 85% don't.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
As far as I can make out, for winter 2013-4, the SCGB resorts will be ...

ANDORRA
Soldeu
AUSTRIA
Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Obergurgl, Zell am See
CANADA
Fernie, Whistler
FRANCE
Alpe d'Huez, Argentiere, Avoriaz, Courchevel, Flaine, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Meribel, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Val Thorens
ITALY
Cervinia, Sauze d'Oulx
SWITZERLAND
Davos, Grindelwald, Klosters, Murren, Saas Fee, Verbier, Wengen, Zermatt
USA
Aspen, Breckenridge, Jackson Hole

Hot off the press, for winter 2013-14, the snowHeads resorts will be:

ANDORRA
-
AUSTRIA
-
CANADA
-
FRANCE
Tignes, Les Menuires, Serre Chevalier, La Plagne, Val Thorens
ITALY
Kronplatz, Arabba (but, if you squint a lot they look at tiny bit French)
SWITZERLAND
-
USA
-
BONGOBONGOLAND
-
ski holidays

So ... another winter in which Scotland falls off the planet? Step forward the Aviemore-based globe-embracing snowHeads-admiring WTF Ski Club ... ! ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/

Reps in all leading resorts
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, Shocked is that a closed ski group? Tut tut (storms off in huff).
snow conditions

Shimmy Alcott wrote:
is that a closed ski group?

No, it's an open group
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, glad to hear it
snow report

In contrast, here is a closed group, which is probably more interesting ...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/skiclubleaders/

If only it was open - there must be lots of fascinating stuff in there!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

The Ski Club Safety Officer ... a powerful ski equipment brand ... and a related story

Let me preface this little piece by pointing out that “other (longer-established, perhaps more proven) ski touring/freeride brands are available”

The other day this SCGB blog turned up in a search. It was written on 22 August by Chris Taine, the Club’s Digital Content and Social Media Executive ...

What’s new for Salomon in 2013-14
http://skiclubgb.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/salomon-freeski-videoblog-guardian-quest-freeski-2013-14/

The blog features Nigel Shepherd, ‘Ski Club Safety Officer’, who is one of Britain’s most experienced mountain guides (qualified as a Full Guide 34 years ago). He’s worked for many years with the Ski Club on its rep/leader training courses. He’s also billed here as the Club’s ‘Alpine Safety Adviser’ ...
http://www.bmg.org.uk/index.php/eng/Members/Guides-R-Z/Nigel-Shepherd

The two linked videos in the blog are ...

http://youtube.com/v/d7IdGfcyzhY&feature=player_embedded

http://youtube.com/v/7APwXyMI0Ec&feature=player_embedded

So, the question here is “what’s the deal?” These are clearly promotional videos - Nigel Shepherd makes it obvious with the uniform he’s wearing and what he’s saying that he’s representing one brand only – and clearly that’s his role with Salomon ... part of his professional CV description linked above ...

Quote:
Consultant, sponsorship and product development with Salomon GB

What’s his job definition as the Ski Club Safety Officer? Is he allowed to test or recommend any other brands of ski touring boot/binding/ski, in the best safety interests of skiers? That’s something Nigel is very welcome to comment on. Out of courtesy I’m emailing him to point out this thread and to offer him the right of response. Respect.

Any skier – alpine or touring/freeride – is going to want to know the range of hardware available and what’s recommended by professionals who buy their kit, along with experienced amateur tourers. What products have proven themselves over time - particularly in terms of bindings systems? There have been failures.

As for the Ski Club ... is it seeking to promote one brand only? [Over to Chris Taine, who I'm also emailing]
SCGB members pay over £60/year for – among other things – impartial news and advice about ski equipment. Ski touring and freeride kit is nearly always used in locations which are remote (sometimes very remote) from emergency fixing or skier rescue. Product dependability and performance are obviously of paramount importance. [I hasten to add that I’m a lift-served skier and don’t skin up, so don’t claim to have any practical experience of ski touring products, and don’t have any views about any specific products in this field]

Now for a bit of context/background, which I do know, and which is simply a scandal: Salomon entered the field of touring/freeride hardware quite recently – 2010, in fact. It’s not a huge area of sales, though an increasing number of skiers are escaping the madding crowds to ‘earn their turns’. Salomon began their product line with high expectations of potential users – the brand has, after all, been manufacturing ski bindings since 1955 (the company began by making ski edges in 1947).

So, in the spring of 2010, a number of ski touring experts were invited to try the first range of products – in particular Salomon Quest boots. Salomon had chosen to go with an ingenious and unique boot/binding combination developed by Dynafit many years ago, and refined over time [‘Tourtech/Tech’]. It’s an ultra-lightweight system, using a metal interface built into the boot sole itself which locks into the bindings, meaning the binding can be much more compact than a conventional binding.

It’s important to point out that the Quest boots were not prototypes or pre-production test samples. They were, it seemed obvious, samples from stock that would go on sale imminently. What happened next – in particular to one skier who calls himself ‘Thin Cover’ in online forums – is self-explanatory from the following blog (and comments below) on WildSnow. It's a remarkable product investigation, the like of which I've never seen elsewhere], coupled with a 41-page discussion that took place on the TetonGravity forum. Thin Cover almost ended up with his leg amputated ...

http://www.wildsnow.com/2888/salomon-quest-tech-fittings-failure/

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/191256-Salomon-Quest-Tech-inserts-failure-thread

It’s easy to skip to page 41 of that thread to see the outcome for Thin Cover, who clearly obtained a compensation settlement from Salomon and is making some recovery.

So ... with that bit of background of three years ago ... I’d ask ... is the Ski Club of Great Britain correct in its strategy here? The Club was founded in 1903 and originally operated in strict independence from commercial interests. It continued that tradition in equipment reporting until, certainly, the early 1990s. I’ll declare an interest, since I was the Club's equipment editor for over ten years from 1983 and was actually accused of being too pro-Salomon by some. The Salomon rear-entry boot (which had six years engineering/design development at the outset, and then years of further refinement to be years ahead of its time) was one of the ski products of the century and loomed large in equipment reporting of that era.

So, how on earth did the Salomon Quest situation arise? How did that piece of metal get passed for manufacture? It seems the full story has yet to emerge.
snow conditions

That's very interesting, shame it's buried in this thread where no-one who should see it will see it...

FWIW the Quests have been less than fantastic in my experience, couple of pairs we sold simply didn't hold up to frequent usage. The walk/ski clip on the back is a metal buckle that clips down onto a plastic ridge. It seemed that after a while the plastic ridge wears down and the buckle has nothing to clip into, leaving the boot flailing around in walk mode.
snow conditions
albinomountainbadger, interesting point, since Salomon designed/launched the most effective walk-mode ever made for a ski boot ... in 1979 ... further improved in 1984. Never failed me (or anyone else I can recall) in years of use.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, I guess this time round it also didn't get the "six years of engineering/design development" you mention above.
latest report
albinomountainbadger, probably not, but it's a long time now since Georges Salomon gave up control of the company. Son of the founder, his genius in steering the company's R&D, patent acquisition and marketing was said to have been based on World War military strategy. Georges, who I was privileged to meet a couple of times, enjoyed the fruits of his global victories by living his retirement years on the shore of Lake Annecy (not far from the original Salomon factories). He died in 2010.
http://www.skiinghistory.org/index.php/2011/08/georges-salomon/

So, how deep is the relationship between Salomon and the SCGB?

The question should not, of course, have to be asked.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/infoandadvice/article.aspx?articleID=66#.UiWPsn9q3IU
Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
Our Ski Club equipment tests offer unbiased and sound advice about what to buy, dependent on what you want from skiing or snowboarding.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/skitests/howwetest.aspx#.UiWRd39q3IU
[That link may only work for SCGB members]
Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
Each season the Ski Club and Mark Jones put together a team of 10-14 testers, made up of highly qualified and experienced BASI instructors, ex-Team GB racers and Ski Club staff, and sometimes we even get current Team GB members testing with us.

Mark Jones is ski technique writer for Ski+Board, the SCGB's magazine - a highly-qualified instructor and instructor-trainer, working in the French Alps ...

http://www.icesi.org/basi-trainer-mark-jones.asp
ICE, Val d'Isere wrote:
He is a BASI Trainer and member of the British Demonstration ski Team and represented the UK at the International Ski Instructors Congress in Norway in 1999 and Switzerland in January 2003. He has also been selected to represent Britain in the forthcoming Interski Congress in Austria 2011.

Salomon is a partner of ICE [International Centre of Excellence] ski school, Val d'Isere.

http://www.icesi.org/ski-equipment-discounts-skis.asp
ICE wrote:

ICE exclusive equipment deals
Skis by Salomon

The following suggestions come from our resident equipment guru Mark Jones, ICE and BASI Trainer. Mark is also the technical editor of Ski and Board magazine and is responsible for the testing of all makes of skis in March of the previous season which are then written up in issues of the magazine.
SALOMON ENDURO XT 800 + Z12 Speed
SALOMON MUSTANG + Z12 Speed
SALOMON ROCKER 2 90
SALOMON ORIGINS BAMBOO + Z10 Ti
SALOMON ROCKETTE 90

As a matter of courtesy, I'm emailing Mark Jones to point out this posting and thread and to invite him to comment on whether the partnership of his ski school with Salomon has any bearing on his impartiality in the ski testing carried out for Ski+Board.
ski holidays
[Just a note to point out that Mark Jones has just emailed me back. He's currently cycling from Val d'Isere to Nice and obviously isn't ideally placed to look into this until later in the week]
ski holidays
See, the poor guy can't afford a car and you're having a go at him.
snow conditions
So Salomon do cycling gear now then?
snow conditions
Whatever's going on, it's "a scandal of avalanche proportions".

Comedy Goldsmith, are you suggesting it should be called the Salomon Club of Great Britain?
snow report
Gotoma86 wrote:
Wow, Ski Club of Great Britain have re-launched their chat forum and it looks good. Simple sign-up, you don't need to become a member plus they seem to have introduced profiles as well. Well this will be fun, who's going to jump ship and start using the Tea Club forum then?[/url]

Gotoma86 wrote:
In fact they have re-done their homepage and navigation, looks a lot more club focused and big drive for personal profiling.

I like it!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
It's been a while, I felt like a good laugh and revisting the birth of this thread has done the trick! The expression "own goal" comes to mind.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, are you suggesting it should be called the Salomon Club of Great Britain?

No, why on earth would I do that? Too heavy on syllables - you're going to have to try a lot harder.
ski holidays
If SKGB has too may syllabubs how about "the Sally Army" ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy