Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead

musher wrote:
CG

Why do they need legal experts? Are you making waves again?

The openly-declared legal issues the SCGB has been involved in recently are the fatality in Verbier and the issues about ski hosting/leading (without recognised/transferable qualifications) in French resorts.

Am I making waves? Certainly not - please click here:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2478992/royal-wave-o.gif
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect the French Ministère de la Jeunesse et des Sports might view the Tea 'Club' much as one might consider other businesses with 'Club' in their name like Club Med pour example, that is, that they are a business with free hosting as a loss leader for their other activities such as multi-media publisher, travel agency and tour operator. Sounds quite debatable now doesn't it. That the nominal shareholders are the members might not be considered relevant. The clubs who fought off the wrath of the MJS appear to mainly have been demonstrably non commercial.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mcspreader, what did the Ski Club do to you then? They are run as a not for profit club, where all money generated is used to provide services for their members. IMV, the Ski Club of Great Britain IS demonstrably non commercial.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PJSki wrote:
... run as a not for profit club, where all money generated is used to provide services for their members. IMV, the Ski Club of Great Britain IS demonstrably non commercial.

You must be having a laugh. Over five decades I've seen (often at first hand) the Club prostitute itself to all manner of third-party commercial interests, often to the disbenefit of its members.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it wasn't commercial, the annual adult membership fee would be more like £20. More than enough to produce 4 magazine issues per year, and post the AGM agenda and ballot info. It's basically a holiday company imv, with wealth redistribution in favour of the few (ski reps or those that use the reps).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Skiclub Freshtracks have introduced a wider range of holidays on their program. This season we’re opening our first ever ski club chalet
So what is the difference between the SCGB and any other chalet operator now except that they cost more?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
botw wrote:
Quote:
Skiclub Freshtracks have introduced a wider range of holidays on their program. This season we’re opening our first ever ski club chalet
So what is the difference between the SCGB and any other chalet operator now except that they cost more?

The people staying in a Ski Club chalet are taken skiing by professional instructors and mountain guides.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki wrote:
... run as a not for profit club, where all money generated is used to provide services for their members. IMV, the Ski Club of Great Britain IS demonstrably non commercial.

You must be having a laugh. Over five decades I've seen (often at first hand) the Club prostitute itself to all manner of third-party commercial interests, often to the disbenefit of its members.

Having followed your commentary on the Ski Club and snowheads over the years, I fined it pretty much impossible trust what you say.

Catpissgate is yet another great example of your ability, and desire, to bullshit
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
If it wasn't commercial, the annual adult membership fee would be more like £20. More than enough to produce 4 magazine issues per year, and post the AGM agenda and ballot info. It's basically a holiday company imv, with wealth redistribution in favour of the few (ski reps or those that use the reps).

It seems to me that the members pay for their Club holidays and any profit is put back into the Club for the benefit of all the members.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well never mind all that. Sorry I missed your earlier taunt. I didn't notice it.
PJSki wrote:
botw, looks like your owner is missing a sock.
botw wrote:
Gerry, looks like you're one sock short of a drawer-full.
PJSki wrote:
You're mistaken if you think I'm Gerry. Who are you, btw? Just another mouthy c**t?
botw wrote:
You're mistaken if you think I'm just another mouthy c**t. Who are you, btw? Gerry?
PJSki wrote:
botw, yeah, well, you're a fecking nobody 'bravely' shooting his mouth off from behind his keyboard as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, well, you're either Gerry or a fecking nobody 'bravely' shooting his mouth off from behind his keyboard or likely both.
Your ball old chap.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Changing subject, for a moment ... from PJSki, Gerry, socks, and some exceedingly bad language ...

SCGB STAFFING NUMBERS

In 1995 the Ski Club of Britain had 14,995 subscription payers ('paying units'). The staffing comprised a total of 16 SCGB employees (excluding temporary and casual staff):

Office and administration: 9
Club holidays: 3
Information: 1
Skiing operations: 1
Ski Survey: 1
Catering: 1

In 2012 the Club had 16,782 subscription payers (2013 figure pending). The staffing as of today comprises a total of 28 SCGB employees (though no definition is indicated as to who are non-temporary or casual, so this figure may not be truly comparable with the 1995 figure):

Chief Executive
PA to Chief Executive
Financial Controller
Assistant Accountant x 2
Head of Communications
PR Manager
Digital Content and Social Media Executive
Website Manager
Video Content Editor
Digital Marketing Executive
Marketing Communications Executive
IT Manager
Head of Membership Services
Membership Manager
Membership Executive
Information Executive
Events Marketing Executive
Head of Partnerships
Partnerships Manager
Partnerships Assistant
Operations Coordinator
General Manager, Ski Club Freshtracks
Sales/operations Manager
Sales and Operations Consultant x 2
Editor, Ski+Board
Deputy Editor, Ski+Board

Additionally, two other 'members of staff' are listed (media sales, overseas publishing consultant), but these appear to be external agents.

---------------
Source of data above: 1995 annual report, 2013 (current) list of staff on SCGB website
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/structure/default.aspx#.Uef_hawvTIs [possibly only accessible to SCGB members]
---------------

Given that the membership level is almost the same (possibly level now, with 1995, if membership levels have fallen in the past year) it seems remarkable that staffing has increased from 16 employees to 28 employees (though note the caveat about comparisons above). In 1995, the Ski Club maintained a clubhouse open to members in central London. In 2013 there is no mention of the clubhouse in Wimbledon being open to members.

Have I missed something?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm genuinely surprised their membership increased between 1995 and 2012.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Richard, the figure I've quoted was only supplied by special request. For some reason the paying units figure was omitted from the 2012 annual report - the first time I've ever known this figure not to appear. We'll see if the figure will be restored to the 2013 annual report, due in a few months.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comedy Goldsmith, Income and activity does not just come from members, especially with a holiday operation to run, so you are comparing chalk and cheese.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beequin wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, you are comparing chalk and cheese.

That's quite unfair. At worst I'm comparing Emmenthal with Gruyere - there really is very little difference between what the SCGB provides to members in 2013 to what it provided in 1995, except that the clubhouse is no longer available.

There was a "holiday operation" in 1995, and there is a virtually identical operation in 2013. The number of 'repped resorts' in 1995 was 33. The number last winter was the same.
ski holidays
It should be noted that Goldsmith has wasted an enormous amount of staff time over the decades, ever demanding information and statistics as he pursued his petty vendettas with other members.

I'm told that for years one member of staff was retained to deal with Goldsmith on a day-to-day basis.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
It should be noted that Goldsmith has wasted an enormous amount of staff time over the decades, ever demanding information and statistics as he pursued his petty vendettas with other members.

I'm told that for years one member of staff was retained to deal with Goldsmith on a day-to-day basis.

Don't be silly. I doubt if the SCGB has received more than 5 communications from me in a year. Since you're a director of the organisation you can readily check that.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki wrote:

Don't be silly. I doubt if the SCGB has received more than 5 communications from me in a year. Since you're a director of the organisation you can readily check that.

Am I? How nice. Laughing

David Pilkington

http://youtube.com/v/ZoUw6CrhCA0

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-08-13 22:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Why's that man?
snow report

PJ Ski / Gerry Aitken

Candidate (for Council/directorship) statement in 2011 SCGB AGM notice
snow conditions
skiking wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Why's that man?

No particular jibe at the club per se, just a general observation that clubs with the kind of model that they use have lost membership, particularly since the advent of the internet. Clubs of many kinds are becoming a bit of an anacronism in this day and age - the local motorsport club I belong to, for example, used to have membership of around 1000 members at its height, now membership hovers around 150 people, and is one of the larger clubs still going.

The question is what benefit to they deliver to their members that they can't get elsewhere - I can't see what being a member of the SCGB would offer me as a once or twice a year recreational snowboarder with 2 kids and skiing wife. All the info I need I find here (or on other forums, sorry SH, i've been seeing someone else on the side Shocked ) The discounts offered on SCGB don't really apply for the things i'm looking for or need.
snow report

This should interest all SCGB graduates.

Do you have an MA in Repping from the University of Wimbledon?

How to graduate
snow report
PJSki wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki wrote:

Am I? How nice. Laughing

David Goldingtonsmith

http://youtube.com/v/ZoUw6CrhCA0
snow report
As a single chap I do ski with the SCGB and its worth my money being a member. There are plenty of things wrong with it and some of it's members can be very elitist. But some are extraordinarily nice. So its just like any other club ..... even Snowheads. Made up of the good and the.. not so good.
I am amazed a thread on the SCGB is up to 43 pages. Certainly, on its Chat Forum that is virtually never used. I am not sure why non-members get so excited and even irate about something they can just ignore.
snow conditions
Mark1863, I think you'll find that it's mainly members, one close to the bosom of the club an the other something else mainly prolonging this thread.

"There are plenty of things wrong with it and some of it's members can be very elitist. But some are extraordinarily nice"

Pretty much my observations although I've never been nor wanted to be a member.
snow report
And worth remembering who actually started this thread.

Equally lively discussion over on Winterhighland.
latest report
Mark1863, it was an agent of the SKGB who chose to start this topic here originally and in a rather dubious manner at that. As fatbob pointed out, most of it's content has been generated by members, past and present, of the club. The Tea Klub has quite a lot of members, most of whom are British skiers and snowHeads is the busiest forum in the UK for discussion about skiing: it's not that surprising Wink
snow report
I enjoy being a Snowhead especially during the summer months when you can wax lyrical about something you love but cannot actually do. Roll on the winter when there is something better to do than worry about the SCGB. Any sign of snow?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark1863 wrote:
Any sign of snow?

Toofy Grin
snow report
If the Ski Club didn't exist how would I find a group of 10-20 skiers of similar ability with whom to ski in Utah next season ? And be shepherded to this place which I don't know well and taken to six resorts in 10 days and have someone of quality to sort out the frictions and make it all happen ??
snow report
Farley Goode wrote:
If the Ski Club didn't exist how would I find a group of 10-20 skiers of similar ability with whom to ski in Utah next season ? And be shepherded to this place which I don't know well and taken to six resorts in 10 days and have someone of quality to sort out the frictions and make it all happen ??

Post nekkid pics of GF/wife/daughter on TGR?

Actually I've not wanted for people to ski with in Utah just by talking on chairlifts and getting shown the goods.
snow conditions

Farley Goode wrote:
If the Ski Club didn't exist how would I find a group of 10-20 skiers of similar ability with whom to ski in Utah ... and have someone of quality to sort out the frictions and make it all happen ??

The Mormon temple in Salt Lake City has a popular apres-ski lounge for wild drinking sessions and next-day ski planning. Give it a try!
snow report
Mark1863 wrote:
I enjoy being a Snowhead especially during the summer months when you can wax lyrical about something you love but cannot actually do. Roll on the winter when there is something better to do than worry about the SCGB. Any sign of snow?

Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
Yes, nice to find a skier who can wax lyrical ... Toko has its alternative uses.
snow conditions
Is it proven yet that PJSki is Gerry Aitken? If you number the letters of the alphabet 1 - 26 the difference between G(erry) and P is 9 and here's the proof, the difference between A(itken) and J is also 9 ! Must be him then Toofy Grin
snow conditions

beeryletcher wrote:
Is it proven yet that PJSki is Gerry Aitken?

The former hasn't denied that he is the latter (he's been invited)
The latter hasn't denied that he is the former (he's been invited)

Latest clue?

On 18 August at 15:08, Gerry Aitken posted a Karl Pilkington video on his Facebook page (publicly visible).
https://www.facebook.com/gerry.constantinopleaitken?fref=ts
On 18 August at 22:15, PJ Ski posted a Karl Pilkington video on this page (above)

No one else in the ski community (that I'm aware of) took any interest in Karl Pilkington videos that day. Gerry rarely posts on Facebook, so who - apart from him - noticed his FB posting and bolstered the belief that they're the same person?

I've believed for a while that they're one and the same, having discussed this with several other people with access to evidence that I don't have.
ski holidays
Bang to rights then DG. Well done, it's like the A team, righting wrongs etc.....

Just ask Masque to snoop the ip addresses?
snow conditions
Oh ... everything on Gerry Aitken's FB page for August has now been deleted, so the cut-pasted proof above is all that remains.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Oh ... everything on Gerry Aitken's FB page for August has now been deleted, so the cut-pasted proof above is all that remains.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's like watching a Tom n Jerry cartoon (except Gerry's been caught). Hats off to you DG wink
Where's Gerry?
latest report
ALQ wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's like watching a Tom n Jerry cartoon (except Gerry's been caught). Hats off to you DG wink
Where's Gerry?

Ha, ha don't forget if you need him just whistle! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy