Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official unofficial 2012-2013 Thread....As requested );o)

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all........many thanks all for updates and info.....have passed info onto my co-pilot as we are using his car (glad it's not mine as I'm on 18" run flat tyres - no change from 1k if it was mine Mad )........Slight stumbling block could be that he has company car, but should be ok.....another option could be to get public transport or taxi last leg if weather is adverse.

Hope you had good pow today TT.......Dont like that word "rain" thought Moffat.....please keep you language down!!!!!......will have to buy you all a pint in Bobby's if you there week of 26th Jan NehNeh

Jelly leg day after gym today.......single leg squats on power plate did it Mad .......keep telling myself it will be worth it and can drink more beer the night before Toofy Grin

Enjoy all & keep us updated on conditions (and any funny tales) snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At this rate this thread will be as long as the Jungfrau one. Need to drop the 2012/13 though!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep it rolling.........At least till the 02nd Feb.......A week longer for my Blue nose mate from the Wirral Laughing

Snow heads stickers ordered.......Just need the snow now snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No SCOUSE, , got that wrong, i am heading out 5th of Jan, early shirleys this year as i have the family trip to Morzine in March.
Glad you never said "blue nose plassy". That will get the southerners confused.

Will endeavour to keep updates posted from the 5th to the 12th of Jan, if i can manage to focus on the "Gary Ablett", another one to throw the southerners. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ianbradders, You northerners certainly get to bed late!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have an excuse, i am "working" overtime providing maintenance cover. Its the last night of production so the machines have been getting shut down one by one. Done about an hours work in a 12 hour shift at time and a half.

Now what is YOUR excuse?

Obviously not partying as the spelling is all correct.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually just booked my parking for 2 weeks time.
Will hopefully be just about to board for our 6.10 flight. Into SZG for 9.25.
Hopefully not too much Nielson faffing so should be in town around mid day at the latest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is this a late night or an early morning TT?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ianbradders, 'Twas a late night, and now waiting for our electrician's wife to give me a lift to Maishofen to buy a Christmas tree - they've sold out in this neck of the woods, even though they are everywhere you look (Mrs TT suggested buying a saw instead!) I guess it's a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ianbradders:- Sorry mate.....thought you were away later....still looks like good early snow, fingers crossed....sounds like a lads ski followed by a family trip nice?.....My youngest is only 3 so still on the lads trip Toofy Grin ........Looks like a cheap round.....only TT & Mrs TT to buy a pint for if he will slum it with us Northeners wink

Never got to get to Morzine or Les Gets...went to Avoriaz about 6 years ago with completely green pastures until we got half way up hairpin road up from Morzine to Avoriaz (in February Sad ).....skied on rocks for 1st half until huge dumpdown livened things up Very Happy .....some very nice runs in Portes du Soleil...around Chatel in particular we found some really nice (come on the) "reds".... Razz

I went with Neilson a few years ago on Saalbach trip and went on a group ski day ....would highly recommend if you get the chance & have a similar ability group to what we had (some fun characters as well).... Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thought it might be worth mentioning that we found ourselves strangely drawn to the Kuhstall (under the Alpenhotel) this evening. Although the drinks are more expensive than Bobby's, the atmosphere could not have been more welcoming and the bartenders, the lovely Anita (Hungarian) and Bernhard (Austrian), could not have been more (genuinely) friendly. Also the resident musicians were pretty good. All in all well impressed and highly recommended.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TT.....Was this one a late night or early morning Puzzled

How's the slopes holding out?.....looks like some pretty high daytime temps in next few days on forecast (good up top/wet at resort?)

Festive regards SCOUSE
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now the Val D trip is over, I can start getting excited about Saalbach!

I have a new thread to obsess over now..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabulous snow, great weather. Anticlockwise loo yesterday and clockwise loop today. Clockwise is good for morning sunshine and the pistes quickly softened today. A few photos from the last couple of days ...

Goatstaal view across Hinterglemm towards hotel ...

Balcony view of Hinterglemm towards Goatstaal ...

Floodlit pistes ...

Inversion above Leogang ...

Leogang clag ...

Evidence of poor decision making ...

Looking down on Saalbach ...

And a view towards Hinterglemm ...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks fabulous, now even wishing Christmas will soon pass Sad
Excuse what is probably a very dumb question - What do you mean by "Evidence of poor decision making"?
snow conditions
moffatross, Great pics - and it appears we've been skiing some of the same pistes today! In answer to SCOUSE, 's question, the pistes were hard and icy first thing but softened up nicely as the day progressed. Started on Schattberg Ost, then down the Westgipfel run to Hinterglemm, then did that run from the top of the Zwoelferkogel down to the Ellmaualm (where we stopped for lunch) three times (as it was superb), then down the Zwoelfer and over to the Schattberg West run, which also had to be done three times, then the 7km run from Schattberg Ost down to Jausern (icy towards the bottom), then up to the Wildenkarkogel and down the Kohlmais as the sun was setiing and the south-facing pistes were beginning to firm up again. Finally back to the door (with knackered legs) on Piste 51 (which was great). Off to Hotel Peter now for a 7 or 8 course Christmas Eve meal. Not a bad day all in all!
latest report
tangledupinblue, there were skiers tracks above and across the avalanche debris.
snow report
moffatross, are you in the new Juwel hotel?
snow conditions
RachelQ, no, but it looks dead posh. We can see it from our dining room in the Hotel Reisinger.

Tatman's Toours, I don't know whether our routes crossed again but it was another 30,000 feet vertical day for us over about 44 miles. So easy to rack up the miles and vertical here without even trying. Surprisingly busy this morning though but significantly quieter this afternoon. Not too much muppetry in evidence ... St Anton still holds the Austrian wooden spoon for giving me that feeling of vulnerability to incompetent and out of control skiers.

A great way to spend Christmas and looking forward to skiing freshies tomorrow Happy. Sorry to anyone annoyed by me flooding the thread with photos but here are a few more from today ...

Reichkendlkopf summit ...

Donkeys at Jausernaam ...

Goats at Goatstall ...

Superlush and nearly empty upper run 61 above Vorderglemm ...

A misty valley view from Wildenkarkgogel ...

Ski tourers on route 62 ...

Lunch stop at Hecherhutte ...

Run 68 above Viehhofen ...

Vierhhofen village ...

Cross on Reiterkogel summit ...

Run 33 en route to Hinterglemm ...

Solar power above Goatstall ...
snow report
moffatross, thanks for all the pics, it's great to get an idea of the place. Looks very mild?

I'm really looking forward to skiing there.
ski holidays
Keep posting the pics..... We arrive on Saturday... REALLY getting excited now (just 2 days in the office to get over first)
snow conditions
moffatross, I was wondering where you were getting those views from - lovely pics Very Happy
We're in the Alpine Palace.
Heavy snow falling this morning snowHead but can't work out how to post the pic I've put on the media zone.
latest report
moffatross, Great pics - you have a good eye for an interesting photo. We seem to be skiing the same pistes so keeping an eye out for myself in one of your photos!

I believe it's the first Hinterhagalm party of the season today, so see you at 4pm anyone who's in Saalbach - be there or be square! Anyone who isn't - it's seriously dumping today!
ski holidays
Happy Christmas all snowHead

Fantastic pics thanks......keep em coming......just as I remembered.......4 weeks on Saturday for me......slopes look nice (& relatively empty too)

Also good to see run 68 pics to Vierhofen as never done that run yet (have to try the famous Goulash there).

Does anyone know the name for the fry up the Austrians do with potato, onions, bacon & mixed up with an egg?

Good to see its snowing again......hopefully not a white out....enjoy all
snow report
Quote:

name for the fry up the Austrians do with potato, onions, bacon & mixed up with an egg?

Tiroler Gröstl
snow conditions
Thanks all. Little Angel

Yep, RachelQ, it certainly was dumping this morning and it was a 'relaxed' day's skiing today. Not a great day for photos either. Laughing

The streets of Hinterglemm at 10.30 ...

Not much to see near the summits at 11.00 ...

Viz improved at times ...

My brother retired early so I had a series of lifts to myself ...

Looking down an empty run 14 ...

Untouched and untracked, deep powder off the sides of 14 ...

But chopped to bits at the bottom ...

Another solo cabin ride ...

A final run down to Hinterglemm on the busy route 21...

To see the sun breaking through at the west end of the valley Cool ...
snow report
Thanks hut......I do think of other things except food NehNeh .......mmmmmm beer

Run 14 looks in decent condition even though chopped a bit at bottom.....strongly advised myself not to do it last time as it was a sheet ice field.....done run 15 instead (weltcup run and that was not nice too).......I do remember runs on 16 & 17 being nice on trip (nice & empty) followed by a spot of lunch at Ellmaualm (mid Jan soaking up the sun sat in a tshirt!!!) .....thanks for pics
snow report
SCOUSE wrote:
How's the slopes holding out?.....looks like some pretty high daytime temps in next few days on forecast (good up top/wet at resort?)

On Monday and Tuesday, when temperatures were really extreme (+7 to +10c on top!), slopes were surprisingly good. It was clear sky during night, so snow gets packed, but I was still surprised to see icy hard track on morning (8:45) when we came up to top of Asitz gondola from Leogang side. It got a bit softer around 10:30-11:00, but there was nothing soft and bumpy. If I managed to ski all day long with GS skis (with race skis, this means skiing with speed over 80km/h), this just tells it was perfect. Not all that many people on slopes also helped with keeping slopes in good conditions.
Yesterday on the other side, was pretty bad, but since it was last day for us (unfortunately I'm on my way to Semmering for WC today already, which means holidays are over for me Sad) it wasn't all that bad.
Just one thing, that always makes me wonder in Saalbach... Anywhere else I ski, and with my job, there's very few places, where I wouldn't be skiing already, I never saw so many people standing/sitting/chatting/waiting for others in middle of slope. Ok I also agree I never saw so many Netherlands and British skiers anywhere else either. But is it really so hard to think a bit, and stand on SIDE OF THE SLOPE!!! and not on middle? With bigger groups (or few smallers ones), it gets pretty hard to even get through, since whole course gets blocked. Or is it so, that once someone step on skis, they turn logic off and think, everyone else will take care of their safety, while they will be doing shi**t all over the place?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Based on my adventures of last night, I can tell anyone who may be interested that it takes exactly half an hour to walk the riverside path at a brisk walking pace between Saalbach and Hinterglemm.
Also that the Glemmerkeller in Hinterglemm has a nice atmosphere and that the musical trio in there are not at all bad - at least they were'nt until they launched into 'Una Paloma Blanca'. The girl singer has a nice voice, and the guitar player coped well with the solo in Hotel California - but needed to turn up the volume a bit.
Glorious sunny skiing on yesterday's new snow this morning; flat light in places this afternoon Looking forward to more new snow overnight.
snow conditions
Last photoset from me, poor viz expected Friday. But yep, we could see yesterday's new snow today and could enjoy the untouched powder fields adjacent to the ski lifts. Great day, great snow, but late start tomorrow I think.

View from Hasenaur Kopfel first thing ...

Powder under Hasenaur Kopfel ...

The pomas under Spieleckcogel ...

Fresh tracks at Reichkendlkopf ...

Hot chocolate stop at Hochalmhutte ...

Saalbach from Zwolwer-Nordbahn gondola ...

Sculpted Eagle at Ellmaualm ? ...

Sunburst near Seekar ...

View to the Southern Alps from Schattberg West ...

Lots of freshies under Schattberg Ost ...

More fresh tracks through trees above SimalAlm ...

Reality check, chaos above Saalbach ...

Run 53 to Saalbach ...
ski holidays
moffatross has already said it all. Snow conditions were good, especially on the north side of the Glemmtal (better than the Kitzbühel area on Tuesday). On the south, Schattberg side the runs tended to be harder. Although the pistes were quite busy today, the lift queues were never bad. Here's a picture showing the bottom stations of the new Wetterkreuz lift and the Reiter-Ost. That was about the worst queue I had and it moved quickly...

Perfect blue skies to start with but it became overcast in the afternoon. However, the sun put in a final appearance at the end of the day. Here's a view looking at the Leoganger Steinberge from near the middle station of the Asitzbahn (above Leogang) towards evening...

ski holidays
ATTENTION! Cuckoo, the really excellent Irish band from last season, will be playing in Bobby's Pub this Saturday evening from around 9.30pm, and also on New Year's Eve. So anyone who will be in Saalbach on Saturday, get yourself down there - you won't be disappointed (provided it's the same line-up as last season).

The Kuhstall, on the other hand, has the most friendly and welcoming bartenders imaginable (Anita and Bernhard) and a great ambience, but insists on playing German schlager music interminably, until you're forced to go and listen to some awful karaoke in Bobby's for fear that "Ein Stern" and "Joanna" will be reverberating in your head all night long (but it has to be said that the guitarist can really play!).

(I can't compete with these photos, so I'll just concentrate on the apres!)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 29-12-12 0:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Really excited by this thread, but wont be able to join in until the 23rd of Feb. Kepp up the pictures and apres reccomendations please Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Have any of the people that have been (or still are) at Saalbach/Hinterglemm made use of the "Ski Movie"? Is it Free? Are the queues to do it ridiculously long? Obviously I'm not asking on my own behalf Embarassed it's for my 13yo snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

provided it's the same line-up as last season

It is....and they're playing in Bobby's every Monday evening (including New Years Eve) and in the Underbar every Wednesday.
ski holidays
Well... I'm here now! Salzburg airport was chaos on Saturday... Because all innsbruk flights were diverted. Quick transfer to saalbach, although delays checking in meant that we didn't ski until 3pm. Remember that a ski pass works from 3pm on the day BEFORE it is officially active which means that I've 'saved' a day.

We hired through skiset which is directly opposite the Bergers hotel, but the village is so compact that we could have hired from anywhere and still been only a short walk away. The hotel is good, and the owners can't do enough for us (we feel very welcomed). Today was the first full day's ski... But due to tiredness from wife and daughter we only managed the 'top half' of the anti-clockwise circus. Tomorrow we'll continue the route from shattenberg onwards. Snow conditions are really good, and it is quieter than the French alps (la plagne, les gets) at half-term. Very little queuing at lifts, and not hordes of people walking between bars at night.

No-one has shouted 'rule 5' at us yet, but there's still time!!
(haven't found any free wifi yet... The lift's wifi doesn't connect... So we're teatherring all devices through one roaming mobile)
latest report
Perfect day! Snowing lightly this morning, so had a lie-in (recovering from NYE!). Practised a bit of technique in the afternoon, winding up at the Bergeralm happy hour for a couple of Jagertees and a delicious apfelstrudel with custard, then skied down in the dark (beautiful views of twinkling lights in the valley and the floodlit piste); later went to Bobby's Pub, and for once got there before his renowned spare ribs had sold out, then to the Underbar for Cuckoo's first set.
snow report
Hi Tatman.....late night for me Blush

Glad to see you recovered from NYE.....You did better than me in making it to Underbar....usually well cooked by then Embarassed

What is the name of the bar right by your apartments on the slope as they do a top Jagertee......really nice barmaid & even give me a nice jagertee mug that my missus broke within hours of return.....would it be a good investment to buy another head torch (last one just melted whilst working on my car).... Or should I trust in my legs on run from Bergerhag after piste bashers...I think i can make it from hinterhag without NehNeh

Good to see you made it through the Ny snowHead .......PS Top photos Moffatross......many thanks really appreciated
ski holidays
SCOUSE, Its Bauers, several bars of different styles clustered together. Pick the style you prefer and rock on.
Under 2 days for me. I really should start thinking about packing. Or even sorting the washing out at least.
ski holidays
Can't wait for the 19th to hit the slopes - so excited Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy