Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official unofficial 2012-2013 Thread....As requested );o)

Poster: A snowHead
Pistes fantastic today and yesterday - but incredibly quiet! You have the feeling that you have the mountain virtually to yourself. We've encountered literally only one or two other people as we've carved our way down the sunny and beautifully smooth Westgipfel and Schattberg Nord runs. As I said before, with all these deserted pistes and streets, and closed mountain restaurants and bars, it sometimes feels positively post-apocalyptic - shades of "I Am Legend" without the zombies, and with Mrs TT substituting for the faithful hound, "Samantha" (don't tell her I said that!).

Fortunately a small minority of restaurants and bars have remained open for the last week of the season, such as the Westgipfelhuette on the summit of Schattberg West, and the eternally reliable Bobby's Pub - still open for drinks and excellent food until late at night.

Which leads me to today's delicious gastronomic experience: 'Falsche schnecken' (False snails) - lumps of tender fillet steak, covered in melted cheese and served in a spicy garlic/herb sauce with pieces of warm toast (to dip into the sauce). This highly recommended dish can be ordered for about 12 euros from the restaurant at the bottom of the Zwoelferkogelbahn, but for some reason it's not on the printed menu. At lunchtime, Mrs TT and I shared one serving, which we considered ample for both of us, although our two hungrier companions had one each.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TT, as seasons go, how do the conditions rate at this time of year to "normal"?

Tatman's Tours wrote:
and with Mrs TT substituting for the faithful hound, "Samantha" (don't tell her I said that!).

You do like the edgier side of life, don't you wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur,
Quote:

as seasons go, how do the conditions rate at this time of year to "normal"?

Everyone seems to rate the conditions as exceptional, due not only to the quantity of snow but the quality of the pistes, which have been providing excellent skiing throughout the day and not just before noon, as one would normally expect in April. Obviously the lack of traffic helps.
I do recall that last year we had a sizable dump during the first week of April, and it was snowing as we left on 8th April, but there is definitely more and better snow this season, thanks to the cooler temperatures during late March/early April and the regular top-ups. I gather that it's been similar in the UK, and that it may be about to change both there and here!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A couple of years ago we would have welcomed conditions as described, when we were there a full month earlier than now.
It was ridiculously warm in the afternoons, around 15 deg. Heavy slush, with only the pistes covered and then patchy.
Also a friend of mine was there a good few years ago now, early march and it was like a meadow on the lower Kohlmais, struggled to get down to mid station to download. Only decent run was the Schattberg black which was like an ice rink.
Seems like most places have had an exceptional season, damn this global warming. Sorry we have to call it climate change now because "they" have been found out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right, need some Saalbach advice on finding some accomdation for NYE (sitill hoping that this counts as part of the 2012/13 thread!!)..went to Hinterglemm in Feb and loved it so we are coming back in December but bringing two young kids (11 & Cool and want to introduce them to skiing and Austria (suspect the Goasstahl won't be hit as hard as February Crying or Very sad ). Ideally looking for self catering or B&B as want to have eating options at night (kids are a bit fussy). We are thinking of coming out on 28th for a week until 4th January. Thinking TT might be best source of advice on this but any ideas would be useful... looking at some Pensions and Hotel Koening but any other ideas? thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
divekris, Get in touch with the Tourist Office asking for advice. I did that specifying what I wanted and the tourist office passed my details on to all the properties vaguely matching my criteria. I ended up with a lot of "spam" but in amongst it all were some gems. You may find that a lot has already been booked especially self-catering as that is a very popular period, so many people book immediately when they find they like a place. The Dutch, Scandinavians and Germans are particularly quick about doing this.

If you are looking for self-catering, try looking at Belvilla.co.uk It is a Dutch company (that is their UK web page) that managed properties for non-resident owners. I work with them in as much as I look after a couple of properties for them. The owners are very happy and so am I as the company keep me well informed about who each client is.

BTW this is the time that most Europeans start renting/booking places if they have not already done so, so if you want the pick of the bunch get searching soon or you will be limited in your choices. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks SSue, much appreciated. yes, realise leaving this quite late but only just gave it some thought. Hoped we might get away without the kids but no can do.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
divekris: We're full that week, but I'm seeing our Austrian neighbour later today. She has a few rental apartments in our building and may be able to help. You won't find a better location, and her prices are very reasonable compared with some. I'll let you know - and there are also a few other possibilities.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks TT, checked out the Belvilla and nothing doing for those dates but tourism office has options but would prefer your own recommendations
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Love this thread!

There is serious talk about our group returning to Saalbach next year, for those that missed out this year. I will doing as much persuading as possible! Potentially 8 of us.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Struggling to find any available apartments for w/c 28th December and suspect left it too late. Everything seems booked up. Only got ourselves to blame but if anyone else has any other ideas could you let me know. The kids are 11 and 8 so ideally need an apartment rather than separate hotel rooms. Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
divekris, I've just done a search on saalbach.com and there are a few possibilities - rather than spell them out, take a look and see what you think. One of them is Haus Pilch, which is in a great location in the centre of Saalbach. I don't know anyone who's stayed there but it looks okay. It's a B&B, which is fine in Saalbach, as eating out is easy and inexpensive, especially if you eat at Bobby's Pub, which is only about 50 yards down the road.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stayed with Kevin and Sarah at Pension Enzian very recently, see http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g608663-d595095-Reviews-Pension_Enzian-Saalbach_Hinterglemm_Austrian_Alps.html. I was there for some downhill mountain biking, lovely place to stay and great host. Positioned near the Schattberg X-Press, a 2 minute walk to the main street. Hopefully I'll return for a ski trip this season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. Emails have been sent to Haus Pilch and a couple of others.. The Enzian is fully booked on the 28th December.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sadly Sad can't find anything in Saalbach that works for us...so going to look elsewhere and thinking about Niederau. Hopefully be back in Saalbach in future years. Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone
ski holidays
divekris, Have you tried www.grafleiten.at ? This is a B&B pension next door to us, and they're currently adding a large extension to it. Try also the Haus Bernhofer apartments opposite us.
ski holidays
Yes we tried Grafleiten but they were separate rooms which was not ideal with young children as well as then being x 2 as expensive so we discounted them but they did have two available. Bernhofer was completely full. The one we really liked was the the apartment(s) in your block (Ulreich) and I had a good chat with them but they couldn't offer any alternatives. Just learnt we need to move quickly to sort out accommodation for that key week in December! Thanks for all your help TT, very much appreciated.
snow report
Considering these hotels for half board accomodation in Saalbach this winter:

Hotel Bärenbachhof
Pension Helvetia
Pension Iris
Pension Ripper

Any reviews regarding quality of food, rooms and location would be very much appreciated.
ski holidays
Cliff,

holidaycheck.at might help
http://www.holidaycheck.at/hotel-Reiseinformationen_Hotel+Baerenbachhof-hid_103242.html

Online translator here
http://dict.leo.org/
snow conditions
Cliff,

In terms of location:

Pension Iris and Pension Ripper are almost adjacent on the main road into Saalbach, 2 minutes walk from the main pedestrian street and village centre. It is possible to ski right to the back door of both Pensions, down the beginners slope. It's a 5 minute walk to the Schattberg lift; 7-10 minutes to the Bernkogel or Kohlmais lifts (or take the Baby lift up to the Kohlmais lifts if you get there before the ski classes start at 10.00).

Pension Helvetia is in the centre of the village, just off the pedestrian street. The Bernkogel lift station is almost in the back yard, so less than 1 minute's walk away. The Kohlmais lift is directly opposite on the other side of the street.

Hotel Bärenbachhof is 7-10 minutes walk from the village centre and the Schattberg lift in the direction of Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
...and then there's also Cacciatore, 's and Honey Bunny's recommendation (see other threads) - the Hotel Koenig, which is located next to the Pensions Ripper and Iris at the bottom of the nursery slope. (Sorry if I'm stealing your thunder, Cacciatore, and Honey Bunny Smile )
snow report
Great the Saalbach thread is off and running again, I am all booked up for 18th Jan, simply the best all round resort in my humble opinion
snow report
ribblevalleyblue, See you in Bobby's, Simon! Very Happy
snow conditions
WOOOOOO-HOOOOO WE'RE COMING BACK!

11 of us are now booked into Berger's Sporthotel* for the end of Feb. Really chuffed that we're returning, I think the rest of the group missed an absolutely awesome week this year.

Can't wait to get back to Saalbach, it's such a fantastic place - and really looking forward to seeing Mr Tatman & family again - hope you'll be there! Hooray for skiing like a T.W.A.T snowHead

*we really wanted the Konig again, but it didn't have enough rooms available.
snow conditions
HoneyBunny, Wunderbar! But I hope you'll still be there on 1st March, when we shall arrive for 'Winter in Saalbach Part 2'.
snow report
Can't wait to give Saalbach a go this season. I'll be there for a week from 1st February staying at Enzian. It will be interesting to see how Austria compares to France ski wise. I'm doing a bit of a mega ski trip all the way from Australia so wanted to experience skiing in more than one country seeing as I'm travelling so far. First time skiing in Europe for me. Very Happy
snow conditions
Newby Alert

Booked 18th Jan 2014 this thread has been great for hints and tips about the resort sounds like you all had a blast

TT is there any chance of your Guide to Saalbach i keep reading about pretty please

email received many thanks Razz

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 9-09-13 21:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tangerine Snow Balls, With pleasure - send me your e-mail via PM. Also I hope to have the immense pleasure of skiing/après-ing with a few fellow- snowHead s, as I did last season with the indestructible Cacciatore, and the eager HoneyBunny, and her squad of angry birds.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TT, we will be there 22nd Feb to 1st March, does that mean we will miss you!??? Sad Sad

How will we find our way around on our own!?? Shock
snow report
HoneyBunny, You could always change your dates wink
snow conditions
A question for all the Saalbach experts. I'm considering catching a 6.23am train from Zell Am See on my last day. Looking at the bus timetable the buses don't start running early enough for me to get to the station on time. How much would a taxi cost from Saalbach to Zell Am See?
snow conditions
€40-€50. If you're travelling to Salzburg Airport, there's a Holiday Shuttle at 05.30.
snow report
Thanks Quinton. I'm taking the train from Zell and onwards to Italy. Unfortunately I'm travelling solo so the taxi option is quite expensive.
snow conditions
Raven, I'd offer to give you a lift but we won't have the car with us.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
HoneyBunny, You could always change your dates wink

Too much of a pain for 11 of us.. Change yours??? wink wink wink
ski holidays
HoneyBunny, Seriously considering it! Smile
ski holidays
OMG pleaaase do!! You made our week this year!! Plus with the full gang it'll be great fun. Hinterhag takeover.....

You know it makes sense wink
snow conditions
Booked a week in Saalbach today, February 8th-15th at Pension Iris. My dad, my two brothers and I. If you see a group of tall swedes, two skiers and two snowboarders, don't hesitate to say hi.
ski holidays
Booked a week in Saalbach today, February 8th-15th at Pension Iris. My dad, my two brothers and I. If you see a group of tall swedes, two skiers and two snowboarders, don't hesitate to say hi.
latest report
nice to see a Saalbach forum, only just found this website, used to go on Natives but nothing gets posted on there now. Im heading to Saalbach for my 7th season this coming winter will be out there from the end of November through until the middle of April, il be working in the Taverne nightclub again so please pop in and say hi. Jonny
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy