Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official unofficial 2012-2013 Thread....As requested );o)

Poster: A snowHead
Becstar, Welcome to snowHead First time to Saalbach? You wont be disappointed.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes its our first time to Saalbach. Caught the bug last year skiing Les Arcs in march so there was no question of would there be a ski trip this year, it was more about how many trips, where and when!! Some friends of ours have skiied Saalbach before and reccommended it as a great place. My OH has skiied a lot more than me and is a confident intermediate and will take on pretty much anything, I'm more of a confident beginner/intermediate skiing blues and not too scary reds!
The pictures posted on here look awesome as does the webcam on the saalbach site, can't wait to get out there!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With that kind of experience between you Saalbach will be ideal. Easy access to a varied level of piste.
I would say Saalbachs only shortfall is for the more extreme piste skiers as it has limited black runs but that will not affect your pleasure.
Have you seen Bergfex for Saalbach? http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/
If you click the bottom right hand corner of the picture on that page (3D) you can look at videos of the lifts and pistes in most of the area.
Good way to waste a couple of hours counting down to your trip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ianbradders, thank you for that! I've just e-mailed the link to my ski mates. The videos are great. Is black 14 really scary? The person filming it seems to be taking it extremely cautiously in places (sideslipping?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^
I skied run 14 a couple of times last week, once in freshies and once when hard and compact. It is mainly a pretty cruise and both times it was virtually deserted. In its roadway parts, it's a wee bit narrow in places and it has a short, steepish pitch (with a bypass option) at the bottom. There's a small hike to get back to the gondola for re-uplift or a bus stop to take you elsewhere.

Four pics from last Friday. Viz was shocking during the day but the snow stopped at nightfall ...

Daytime Hinterglemm was hot on illicit parking ...

Heavy snow in the high street ...

After a few Stiegels early evening, floodlit skiing on Friday night seemed sensible ...

And it gave me the chance to make some messy, wiggly, night time powder tracks Madeye-Smiley ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

bar right by your apartments on the slope

Could be, as Ian says, Bauers Schi-Alm, although it's at the bottom of the Turmwiese nursery slopes, next to the road, opposite the Spitzbub and next to Burgi's, rather than 'on' the slope. Your description could apply to the Kohlmaisstub'n towards the bottom of piste 51, or even the good old Hinterhag Alm at the bottom of piste 52 and at the top of the Turmwiese. Then there's another one called the Turmfalke, which we've never stopped at, at the bottom of piste 53. All close by, and on the slope.
For really potent Jagatee, try the Hecherhuette and the Pfefferalm!
Incidentally the homemade gulasch soup at the Hecherhuette today merited the full 5 stars - spicy with big tender chunks of lean beef - we reckoned it was the best ever!

As for
Quote:

would it be a good investment to buy another head torch

It's always nice to have one, although I always seem to leave mine behind on those occasions when I might have found it useful, and vice versa.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Is black 14 really scary?

Verdicts will no doubt differ, according to competence level and snow conditions. My own opinion is that it's the most difficult in the valley with several steep bits that good intermediates will probably side-slip down. I've done it three or four times, and my recollection is that it was much more challenging than the World Cup black (15) on the Zwoelferkogel and the Schattberg Nordabfahrt (number 1), or the likes of say Tortin at Verbier, Le Diable at LDA, the Tunnel run at ADH or the Swiss Wall (Chavanette) at Avoriaz - possibly on account of its narrowness in places.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You're saying it's harder than the Swiss Wall, Tortin and Le Tunnel!??! Shocked

OK, might give that a miss then. If it was on a par with La Face at Val D I'd give it a crack, but much harder than that and I think I'll spare myself (and the group) the fright of our lives then.

Narrow is OK but long and steep with huge moguls is not my idea of fun.

Glad I asked lol

By the way, thanks moffatross, great pics too! I've never seen cars being towed away in a ski resort before, that's quite draconian.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not done 14, as we havent done much skiing in Hinterglemm, just a couple of drop throughs.
Looking at that video i think i will swerve it until i have made sure my knee has fully recovered from last summer.
Do No, 1 Schattberg a few times first as that seems a lot easier than 14, only remember 1 being a bit steep at the bottom section.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So what's the general consensus on the easiest black piste to get started on? I've skiied a couple of blacks in the past, but not with much technique (and the last time not even realising it was a black until I was near the bottom!)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You're saying it's harder than the Swiss Wall, Tortin and Le Tunnel!??!
OK, might give that a miss then.

Piccadilly, I wouldn't want to put you off giving it a crack; the last couple of times I did it I really enjoyed it, and, if the snow is okay, you'd probably find it very satisfying to do. Although there's a series of steep sections, they aren't individually very long (like some of the others mentioned), and I don't recall them being particularly mogully - icy maybe. Besides, it's a long time since I did those other French/Swiss blacks, so others may disagree with my perceptions and comments about relative difficulty (although, being now more experienced and on better, shorter skis, I'd be surprised if anyone thought 14 is easier than some of those long, wide mogul fields mentioned above - which I remember struggling down without much style but would describe as tortuous rather than terrifying).

milzibkit, This shouldn't be too difficult, since there are only 6 pistes graded black in the Ski Circus; my list (only my opinion - probably wrong - all liability disclaimed!) in ascending order of difficulty would be:
26 - Reichkendlabfahrt - Short (1km), not very steep and hardlly merits its black designation
89a - Tarlackabfahrt - Short (1km) and relatively easy for a black
7a - Sprinter-Mittelstueck - 1.5km, medium difficulty - can get mogully
1 - Nordabfahrt - 4km - 2 steep sections but usually good snow and well within capabilities of good, intermediate skiers, even cautious ones
15 - Weltcup-Abfahrt - 1.5km - relatively steep
14 - Zwoelferkogel-Nordabfahrt - 3km - steep in several sections - quite challenging but enjoyable when snow is good

Now shoot me down in flames - I'm a lot more confident in comparing gulasch soups and jagatees!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Piccadilly, as Tatman's Tours said, conditions will make it very different from day to day but as 14 was netted closed a couple of the cold mornings, I assume that the lift company don't allow access if it's iffy. It did need some cautious scrapy slipping with the steepest turns on the firm day but on the freshies day was quite peachy and was super grippy throughout. On my descents there were almost no other skiers about which also helped to make the narrow sections that much easier, not having to look out for anyone else. Its very steepest section is in the pic below, very near the bottom of the run & I reckon that's about 30 degrees at most.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tatman's Tours, moffatross, OK, you've reassured me a bit. If the snow conditions are good we might give it a bash. After all, it's on one of your fab itineraries, and we need to earn our beer!

If it's 30 degrees at its steepest bit, that's about Face steepness which I know I can do.

Thing is, it's easy to say that on a forum, we may find we bottle it after all wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piccadilly, may be we should all give it a bash (itinerary, slope, apres) at the same time - I'll bring the filming equipment...just in case it all goes well Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chasseur, now that is a marvellous idea! Do we get to veto the footage if it doesn't go well? Toofy Grin

We can swap numbers nearer the time, I'm sure my lot won't mind some extra company, we normally have 11 of us anyway but we're down to 6.
latest report
Piccadilly, excellent...full veto, of course - unless it is outstandingly funny/absurd wink

Sounds great - always fun in a bit of a group snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:- Now shoot me down in flames - I'm a lot more confident in comparing gulasch soups and jagatees!

A man after my own heart TT Embarassed

The bar in question is just a very small and open wooden building right at the end of the slope (you have to walk down some steps), across the road there is a ski shop & very close to the nursery slope area....very friendly staff (& excellent Jagertee).....

I think the black runs would mostly depend on snow condition.....never got to ski run 14 as it was either closed or sheet ice field & on run 15 there was a steep section I completely lost my Mojo on (glass like ice) that I side slipped.....I did however enjoy run 1 after good dump down.

For those staying in Hinterglemm don't be put off by the extra mileage to get to Leogang side as there are some really nice runs.....and to me the snow condition seemed much better (before big dump down midweek) with relatively empty slopes.

3 weeks & counting snowHead
snow conditions
SCOUSE, Leogang seems to always be in better condition especially later season when the rest suffers with temperatures and sun.
12 hours and counting. Really should not be on here. You would think i was ready to step out the door.
Is the bar small inside and a just one large umbrella outside covering the bar and front? Opposite Bauers, dont know the name.
ski holidays
woohoo, finally made my mind and decided to go to saalbach, got a nice apartment right by piste ( at least thats what it says lol ) and less than 10 min walk from centre so now gotta start reading about must do runs
snow report
Quote:

a very small and open wooden building

SCOUSE, That sounds like Burgi's bar, which is next to Bauers Schi-Alm and about 50 yards down the road from our apartments.
ski holidays
not ski related question, as place where i am staying doesn't offer internet connection i plan to use my huawei e5830 wifi dongle in combination with Austrian Sim card, can anyone suggest me which network should i choose and also maybe i can buy simcard while still in UK
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

a very small and open wooden building

SCOUSE, That sounds like Burgi's bar, which is next to Bauers Schi-Alm and about 50 yards down the road from our apartments.

That's the one....thanks TT

TT.....what's the average price of a pint now......Bauers, Hinterhag, Bobby's ect & do they have wifi?

PS enjoy Ian.....not far behind you

PPS.....sorry cant help ediot but would be interested to know result if wifi not available in many places
ski holidays
Here's another photo of the bottom section of piste 14 where the trees may give some idea of the steepness...

The last time I skied there the entry nearest the top of the Zwölferkogel was closed off and I had to take a narrow track further down. I found that worse than the bottom drop. That is steep, I would say, but it is reasonably wide and skiable if you don't lose your nerve.
ski holidays
ianbradders wrote:
With that kind of experience between you Saalbach will be ideal. Easy access to a varied level of piste.
I would say Saalbachs only shortfall is for the more extreme piste skiers as it has limited black runs but that will not affect your pleasure.
Have you seen Bergfex for Saalbach? http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/
If you click the bottom right hand corner of the picture on that page (3D) you can look at videos of the lifts and pistes in most of the area.
Good way to waste a couple of hours counting down to your trip.

Thanks for video link Ian

Runs 14 & 15 look nice with decent snow on video ........End of 2b video run looks worse (& that looks ok with decent snow) only skiied it on ice & churned up granule mountains (our runs ended in pit stop at Hochware bar though).........my legs in the afternoon like it as smooth as possible nowadays Confused ......previous holidays we have often aimed for some of the blacks as they are often less churned up & empty......Getting on a bit now rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

TT.....what's the average price of a pint now......Bauers, Hinterhag, Bobby's ect & do they have wifi?

SCOUSE, Prices don't seem to increase - between 3 and 4 euros per 0.5 litre, which of course works out cheaper than in previous years on current exchange rates, and of course happy hour makes it absurdly cheap. I don't bother with wi-fi outside my apartment, having bought a BOB dongle from the Post Office in Saalbach - costs me 4 euros a month and I can use my laptop in the apartment. However all the lift stations and hotels have wi-fi, and the Eva Alm (formerly the Jack-in) makes a big thing of its free wi-fi.
ski holidays
ianbradders, Bon Voyage! New snow is forecast tomorrow, so hopefully you will have timed your visit well. See you in Bobby's!
snow report
Thanks TT..... pleasant supprise.....Cheaper than last time out with exchange rate......sure as hell beats French prices snowHead

What is the BOB dongle?.......Sounds like a Rowan Atkinson pun Shocked ......How much data for 4 euros?....I have a dongle plug in thing to tether as no wifi in appartment.....is it a sim card as well so cheaper to text if used with mobile phones?
ski holidays
SCOUSE, My I.T. advisor tells me it's a 3G SIM card based USB2 dongle/modem. I can't remember the download limit for 4 euros but I think it's 1 GIG - if you exceed that, you get charged more. The download speed I'm getting here in Austria is 2.5 Meg. I don't use it for text messaging and don't know if it can be so used. When I bought it (for about 50 euros), there was another (A2?) dongle which most other people have and is more suitable for heavier usage. Howver I opted for the 'BOB' because it was cheap and contract-free and I only pay the 4 euros in months when I actually use it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading out to Saalbach on the 12th - as the gf is having lessons, is anyone looking for a ski buddy in the mornings? Would say I'm an advanced skier, but being fairly self-taught I won't profess to being the most technically proficient!

Also thanks to Tatman's Tours for the handy Saalbach guide!
latest report
ciderchap wrote:
Heading out to Saalbach on the 12th - as the gf is having lessons, is anyone looking for a ski buddy in the mornings? Would say I'm an advanced skier, but being fairly self-taught I won't profess to being the most technically proficient!

Also thanks to Tatman's Tours for the handy Saalbach guide!

Hi Ciderchap - a friend and I are heading out there on the 12th too and you're welcome to join us. We're staying at the Hotel Konig - I'll PM you my details - feel free to get in touch if you want. And yes - many thanks to Tatman's Tours too!
ski holidays
Newcomer to the Forum having been a regular user of a similar one for years. Although it was still good by comparison very quiet to this one.
To the point, I am in a group of 12 mature (44-55 yrs) very good intermediate to 'British' Advanced skiers. Over the last 7 years have stuck to Schladming and Soll, so it was time for a change. So Saalbach here we come, arrive on the 26/01/2013 for a week staying at the Sports Berger Hotel. I have found this thread very informative already in relation to ski and apres. As 'Entertainment Officer' I will be keen to learn of peoples, this year preferences for bars with a bit of life to them etc.
We were paying last year between Euros 3.20 to 4.00 for a large beer in the bars in town and on the mountain and I will be keen to know what folk are paying this year at Saalbach, we are expecting it to be more so may need to bring more beer vouchers. Thanks in advance. Little Angel
snow report
Fireflier, oooo do post a mini review of the Konig when you come back, we're staying there first week of Feb. Have a great time, I'm REALLY looking forward to my first trip to Saalbach.Scarlet Fez, hope you enjoy yourself too.
ski holidays
Forgot to mention it earlier, having been to Schladming and Soll in recent years where queues are as rare as rocking horse poop. Whats it like in the Saalbach area? Are there pinch points to avoid?
snow report
Scarlet.....welcome to site:- [quote="Tatman's Tours"]
Quote:

SCOUSE, Prices don't seem to increase - between 3 and 4 euros per 0.5 litre, which of course works out cheaper than in previous years on current exchange rates, and of course happy hour makes it absurdly cheap.

Ianbradders also submitted a good link to resort (video footage of the runs - click on 3D & drop down box)
http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/

As far as lift queues go (as far as I remember) the only big..ish snarl up's I found last time was on return lift from Leogang back to Saalbach side (56 - Sportbahn 2000) mid to late afternoon (everyone trying to make happy hour at Berger Hochalm) NehNeh ....also sometimes busy from Vorderglemm (lift 21)....all in all though I found the lift system very efficient.....Our resident advisor "Tatman's Tours" would best advise & if you send him a PM he might send you his info package on the resort that include most of the bars....very informative (thanks again TT).

Also arriving on the 26th Jan so might bump into you in one of the watering holes Madeye-Smiley .....Some venues on the agenda.... "Berger Hochalm" mid mountain lift 10, between 15:30 & 16:30 for Happy Hour....followed by "Hinterhag" low mountain easy face plant flop down to resort for pre dinner swift one at "Bauers"......providing still fit after quick shower a few medicinal night caps in the village "Bobbys" usually but many more available and frequented......Also lower slope refreshments good on Hinterglemm side at "Goatstall" (end of run 27a).
snow report
Thanks for that Scouse, I will try and contact TT as soon as I have worked out how to PM on this forum. I am one of the maturer in our mature group and I am no Bill Gates to the Cyberworld. Embarassed
Between this and the other Saalbach thread my group are going to think I have done so much research! wink
snow report
Scarlet Fez wrote:
Thanks for that Scouse, I will try and contact TT as soon as I have worked out how to PM on this forum.

You can get to the PM section via the 'Send/Read Messages' link in the top right corner of the page.
latest report
Piccadilly wrote:
Fireflier, oooo do post a mini review of the Konig when you come back, we're staying there first week of Feb. Have a great time, I'm REALLY looking forward to my first trip to Saalbach.Scarlet Fez, hope you enjoy yourself too.

Will do - counting the hours and watching webcams until Saturday...
snow conditions
TT thanks for the reviews got them and they were very informative. Not sure I am going to get full days skiing from all our group with so many tempting Apres options starting so early. Some of our group like their school reports are easily led, very easily led. Scouse 19 Sleeps but not that Im counting. Perhaps our paths will cross. What sort of group are you in?
latest report
Hi Scarlet.....Just a small group of 3 old crocks.....well 2 crocks & a beginner (apart from a week on 2m straight skis 20 yrs ago).....I'm the senior (but least sensible) in the group (can sort of ski but technique is to get down hill in 1 piece....not always the most graceful of skiers)...2nd guy has torn ACL so ski's using a brace & beginner is very fit so hopefully we can bring him down to our level pretty quick Shocked

PS only 18 sleeps for us (I am counting).....Swapping Friday night's sleep for an 18hr drive Sad

I think you guys will be easier to spot as there are 12 of you but look out for some Snowheads stickers on a pair of Nordica skis snowHead ...Does your group have a name?.....can also possibly send message on here as well
snow report
well managed to get phone and data sorted. Spent they day running into leogang. 45km. Snow and runs much better shape. Quieter and not as heavy going as the main valley. Temps need to drop at least five degrees.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy