Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les arc off piste -guide or lessons

Poster: A snowHead
anyone know anywhere (relatively reasonably priced) that guides and / or offers lessons in Le Arc? A freind and I have just booked for Xmas week and have sone some offpiste before but want to dvelop it or gt away a bit from edge of piste which we will do on our own when we can see where it goes as we dont know Les Arc. Any suggestions of good near piste areas would also be fab. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try Evolution 2 (see: http://evolution2-arc2000.com/fr/cours_prives.html , or others on this website: http://www.lesarcsnet.com/ski/guides.html or I read somewhere that Philippe Deslandes is good.
Unfortunately have no experience of any of them. My experience of being guided in Les Arcs has only been a day taken over there while staying somewhere else (with a guide who I like a lot but is far from cheap).

A lot of the best off piste is quite far from the lifts so you will benefit from a guide (and quite a lot very steep:

) but don't worry, there is gentler stuff around. wink
On piste don't miss the run from the Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger. An absolute classic. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bureau des guides in 1800. Some pretty serious off-piste in les Arcs. Enjoy and stay safe
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
patricksh wrote:
Bureau des guides in 1800.

Where exactly is their office? Is it the one on the Front de Neige in Villards?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there any reason why guiding in France is three times that in Austria Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bitoffluff wrote:
anyone know anywhere (relatively reasonably priced) that guides and / or offers lessons in Le Arc? A freind and I have just booked for Xmas week and have sone some offpiste before but want to dvelop it or gt away a bit from edge of piste which we will do on our own when we can see where it goes as we dont know Les Arc. Any suggestions of good near piste areas would also be fab. Thanks

I'm there over the Christmas week too and will certainly be exploring the Off Piste if conditions allow. I'm a BASI Instructor with the Mountain Safety ticket and I ski Les Arcs most years, so If you'd like to meet up for a day I'd be happy to ski with you and show the ropes for free. I'll assume you want minimal boot/skin work and have shovel, tranceivers and probes. PM me with a phone number if you're interested. Simon
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, is it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
€320 vs €100 but that appears to be because none of the above guiding companies offer mixed group, and seem to be private only.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah, If you compare like with like if anything Austria is more expensive than France. A private guide at €350 would be fairly normal in France (that's about €60 per person for a group of 6) but Piste to Powder in St Anton it is €550. Switzerland is extremely expensive for guides.

A single person in a public group would, of course, be cheaper than 1, 2 or 3 (and possibly even 4) people in a private group per person. You are normally cheaper per person in a private group compared to a public group if you share between 5 or 6 The total cost of a private guide for fewer people would be slightly less, but not all that much. They have to make the cost per person of a public group more expensive than the cost in an optimum private group because the group may be smaller than optimum (I was once in a top public group of only 2 for a day).

I wish there were guiding companies in more resorts who had open groups: it would encourage more people to use guides.

bitoffluff, If you contact Evolution 2 I would be interested to hear if they do open groups.
Another thread mentions www.oxygene-ski.com/
Since Les Arcs and La Plagne are linked by a lift it might be worth checking if they operate in Les Arcs (or if you can get to one of their groups - but it might take too long to get over there).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
You could try Evolution 2 (see: http://evolution2-arc2000.com/fr/cours_prives.html , or others on this website: http://www.lesarcsnet.com/ski/guides.html or I read somewhere that Philippe Deslandes is good.
Unfortunately have no experience of any of them. My experience of being guided in Les Arcs has only been a day taken over there while staying somewhere else (with a guide who I like a lot but is far from cheap).

A lot of the best off piste is quite far from the lifts so you will benefit from a guide (and quite a lot very steep:

) but don't worry, there is gentler stuff around. wink
On piste don't miss the run from the Aiguille Rouge down to Villaroger. An absolute classic. Very Happy

whoa!!! maybe work up to that one - jump turns all the way down might be a bt tiring wink thanks for the suggestions
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
panaga52 wrote:
bitoffluff wrote:

I'm there over the Christmas week too and will certainly be exploring the Off Piste if conditions allow. I'm a BASI Instructor with the Mountain Safety ticket and I ski Les Arcs most years, so If you'd like to meet up for a day I'd be happy to ski with you and show the ropes for free. I'll assume you want minimal boot/skin work and have shovel, tranceivers and probes. PM me with a phone number if you're interested. Simon

That would be cool - avy stuff on order, but dodgy if it will arrive in time. Maybe tere is somewhere to hire? My freind does have touring gear unfortunately (although he is better skier than me), so not sure he will be able to tag along if we are skinning. Either way, would be good to hook up
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bitoffluff,

Drop me an e-mail with your phone number to panaga52@outlook.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball,
Great view. Where exactly is that? Is it looking down near comborciere (colloquially known as cucumber) towards the road up to 2000?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamcham, Yes, just to the right of the Comborciere bowl. You climb up to the ridge from the Clotcheret chairlift (above Arc 1600) and then traverse along the right side of the ridge ahead (towards Arc 2000) up to the Point du Four. It takes about 20 minutes. Two couloirs go down from there, this one (Couloir de la Point du Four) and another next to it. . You can see them from the St Esprit chairlift, but I wouldn't try to find them without a guide.

The real extreme couloirs are off the back of the Aiguille Rouge from near the summit. I've not done any of those but I'd like to try one or two of the easier ones. Much easier is the big route from the Grand Col around the back of the Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger (the steep couloirs join it). You just have a short, gentle walk from the to of the Grand Col lift up to the Col itself. Better skiers use this to finish the Tarrentaise day-tour that starts from Tignes. You have to have a guide for all this - not just because of the avalanche dangers and difficult route finding but because the back of the Aiguille Rouge is a National Park with restrictions on skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball,
Thanks, it looks fantastic. I'm off to LA this Saturday, although judging by the webcams and forecast, I won't be able to see those couloirs from Pre St Esprit, and in any case, I suspect the snowpack will be too unstable to ski them. If the sun comes, out, I'll take the slowest lift in LA to try to spy them. We'll be lucky if comborciere and varet are open, let alone your couloir. Have you used the Vamos Tarentaise ski touring guide book?
latest report
snowball wrote:
Chamcham, but I wouldn't try to find them without a guide.

Does my 16 year old son count as a guide? wink
snow report
snowball, I have done Couloir Valdez off the Aig Rouge which would be right up your street, I reckon, although the ridge walk to get to it has its moments!

hope offpisteskiing doesn't mind me posting his picture - I am the model Wink
latest report
Arno, Looks great. I only hope the conditions will be suitable next week...
snow report
Arno, nice! Looks like the bit you can't see might be steeper?
snow conditions
snowball, probably getting on for 45degrees for 50m or so at the choke (which you can see), then it opens out and gradually mellows out
snow conditions
With due respect to all the others on this you either (1) get a guide or (ii) do the fluffy creatures/delicate flowers course the Park Rangers run before you do any of those rotes. The area is National Park and anyone caught back there without (i) or (ii) is liable to a hefty fine. There are signs and warnings all over the place so ignorance is no excuse. Unless you are pretty comfortable in the back country I would use a guide initially. If you are planning multiple day trips over the top then do the fluffy bunny course asap when you get there and use guides until you pass the course. Be warned - the Grand Col route has lift guys who are aware of the rules and I've seen them chase people who start to stray in the direction of the gap in the ridge. I think there is a policy to limit the traffic in that area as much as possible as there are various endangered plant species back there.

One warm up route that I think does not require (i) or (ii) is a run off Arcabulle. Instead of going left (Grand Col) or right (Les Arcs1600/1800) you go straight ahead past the ice grotto and the avalance training patch. If you keep high-ish and to the right you can join up with the lifts below the liason with La Plagne. It's pretty tame but you can get some really nice powder runs in as hardly anyone goes down there.

Anyway - I'm with Chamcham, I don't think the pack is going to be stable enough yet, If it is, I'm going off the back of Bellecote in Jan this year then I want to do that Grand Col route. I'm working my way up to getting across to Tignes La Lac, backcountry style from Gand Col.
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat, good point. I was with an instructor at the time that photo was taken
snow report
... routes. (and I meant the ones off the back of the needle, the ones near Pres St Esprit are in bounds - I've done them - DON'T do them if it's icy {mumbles to himself and wimpers})

Arno, what planks/boots were you using for that little run?
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, i think it would have been some Garmont Shamans and Dynastar Legend Pros (original version - this was a few years back)
snow report
Nice. Looks like a good day.

Whilst cruising some piste maps for this thread I just realised there is a bit of La Plagne I have never visted - Champagny-en-Vanoise - which looks like it has a host of off-pisty bits. I shall be going there also even if it looks a bit low (I usually head straight for the glacier which is why I assume I have missed it previously).
ski holidays
I'm still in normal downhill boots - I'll go for Garmonts next time I'm boot shopping.

PS, yes I mentioned the National Park restrictions above.
snow report
snowball, not sure the current Garmonts match up to their models from a couple of years ago. At the time, the Shoguns were quite unusual - proper stiff close fitting alpine boot with vibram sole. Plenty of mfrs offer something like that now
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
snowball, I have done Couloir Valdez off the Aig Rouge which would be right up your street, I reckon, although the ridge walk to get to it has its moments!

hope offpisteskiing doesn't mind me posting his picture - I am the model Wink

that looks really good, but the 50 degree bit sounds beyond what I would be up for. Suppose everyones right aboutt he stability. I hav done a few Avy courses and ski in Scotland pretty remote, but that is my backyard and I have a feel for the conditions, so maybe sense will prevail (boo), next time. I will chat u the guides anyway and see whether they think anything is a goer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, said 45º on the bit just out of sight so this should be 40º, not 50. Some of the gullies around there are 50º, though. Perhaps I might once have considered them but not now, unless it were a short section and not too extremely exposed.
latest report
Am out next week and looks like another dump to set in.. With avy risk now being 2/3... any thoughts on the base? Broke my leg last year skiing off-piste on a poor base so am hoping to avoid that!
snow report
snowball, yup - most of it was 35-40 (probably closer to the latter) degrees IIRC - required a bit of care given that the conditions were carveable dusty hardpack. In powder it would be an absolute hoot
ski holidays
Timmaah,
It's not so much the poor base, I should think by now there'll be plenty of base above 2000m. It's more the fact that there's been a big snowfall on bare ground, with no repeated freeze thaw cycle to stabilise the snow. Personally, I won't be skiing anything steep off piste (or anything downhill from anything steep) until the snow pack stabilises. Sad
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
Personally, I won't be skiing anything steep off piste (or anything downhill from anything steep) until the snow pack stabilises. Sad
I agree. I'm in the Trois Vallees at the moment and there are lots of signs of unstable snow on all aspects. Glide cracks everywhere, natural and manmade avy scars. Feels a bit like it did at the start of last season.
ski holidays
bitoffluff, If you like to ski off piste and have all the safety gear, send me a PM and we could meet up for an easy ski if you are around when I get back. But as rob@rar, says, you need to be aware of the conditions right now as it is very unstable. Think before skiing anything that is even a little steep Puzzled

Hi Arno and snowball, not sure I like you sharing details of some of my favourite routes like this. Remember folks, if you are thinking of doing these type of routes, take a guide do not just try and follow the routes mentioned in 'the book!' on your own unless you really know where you are going Sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 14-12-12 1:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowcrazy, wink
snow report
snowcrazy, m8, I've tracked 'blind' across way worse than that - at night (admittedly {mumble} years ago)! I will do the fluffy bunny course but half the fun is working out routes. As said above (and I am sure its been done many times before), I want to do the 'join up' run between Les Arcs and Tignes. I gather it makes more sense from La Plagne but there's something really tempting about that notch above Grand Coll .... but I need to get a whole lot fitter first!!

Timmaah, looking at the prior snow fall profile and the list of people who seem to be getting taken out further up the valley and elsewhere (RIP) I'd be REALLY careful about risking it at the moment, (especially in a wheelchair, powered or not). If a guide won't take you ......
ski holidays
Cheers for feedback guys, will see what guides views are in resort and take it from there. Don't quite get the wheelchair remark though Puzzled
snow report
snowcrazy, Very Happy Well, I did say about needing a guide.

snowcrazy was referring to the Les Cles de Paradiski book of off-piste, which is more a coffee table book than one you could put in a backpack.
snow report
snowball, hi hope you have a great season. Give me a bell if you are over this way during the season, be fun to have another ski with you. I know you were referring to that book, but the nickname over here for it is 'the death book' as some seasonnaires have been known to photocopy the pages then try to find the routes. The problem being I have been shown the pages in the bar and asked how to find some routes. I declined getting involved. Most of the youngsters do not carry any safety gear that i have met. Quote one last season. 'I do not need that stuff, I ride to fast and it will not happen to me!' Evil or Very Mad

Timmaah, If you want a really good guide, check out Christian at the Guides office in Arc 1800. He really knows his stuff and do not let his age fall you, he will ski you into the ground if you tell him you want to be pushed. Toofy Grin Have fun!!
snow report
Timmaah, assumed you named yourself after a character in 'South Park'

snowball, there's at least one other guide out there covering those routes written by a hard core guide for hard core peeps - Gotti, 'VANOISE - TARENTAISE SKI TOURS' . I am however starting to think there's some sort of conspiracy going on - almost every ski guide book I want to buy is out of print and the publishers - English and French - are refusing to talk to me about why.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy