Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayhofen B&B

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have recommendations or warnings about B&B hotels/guesthouses in Mayrhofen?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed at Manni's Sporthotel a few years back - excellent value for money. 4*, indoor/outdoor swimming pool on the roof and good food. A short walk up to the Penken gondola.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
janette, I am sure that BB in Mayrhofen will be fine. I would go to the village website and have a look around. If you choose a place from there I am sure that you will be OK. The only thing you need to watch and get your head round is the geography of where your chosen accommodation is in relation to the lifts. Clearly you don't want a long trek to the lift station every morning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed at Landhaus Matthias, it's beside the railway station / main bus stop but a bit away from the ski lifts. Service was excellent, breakfasts superb, rooms ensuite and a good size, prices reasonable, highly recommended.

www.landhausmatthias.com

www.tiscover.at/matthias

Being close to the bus is a good idea as you can get the bus to Finkenberg or Vorderlanersbach to avoid the lift queues at the Penken lift in Mayrhofen. Or up to Hintertux to ski on the glacier.

http://www.zillertal.at/en/zillertal_winter.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Need to check them out myself... I've only ever stayed in Neuhaus c/o package deal. Now I live about 4-5hrs drive, I was considering late availability B+B/Pension maybe for a 4day weekend.

Being a short trek from lifts is not a major deal, so long as you are close to bus stop. There's regular free buses all day from outside all the major hotels, station etc. Biggest problem is 5 packed buses turning up at the Penkenbahn all at once in the rush hour.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
janette, we stayed at the Hotel Neuhaus this year. Great hotel. Quite big and the food was fantastic. The rooms weren't that big but they were comfortable. THis hotel is located on the edge of the village. It is a minute from 2 bus stops and the train station. From the train station you can get the buses up and down the valley to Hintertux etc. We found the location excellent as it gave us easy access to all the resorts in the Ziller Valley. If you stay at the other end of the village near the lift, you will still have to walk down to the train/main bus station to access the other resorts in the valley.

The lift queues are not a problem at the Penken providing you arrive by 8.30. We'd heard all sorts of horror stories but it wasn't a problem. We queued for about a minute. Other days we caught the 8.30 bus up the valley and then the train down the valley to Kaltenbach which is a great ski area. The views on a clear days are amazing.

One other tip is to get the gondola down towards Hippach rather than the Penken and just get a taxi back to the Neuhaus. It will only cost about €10 and is well worth it as the queues are better and you don't have to worry about getting the bus back down the village.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
janette, I have stayed several times at the Garni Obermair. It is at the northern end of Mayrhofen, near the Church and about 200 yards/metres from the railway/station/main bus stop. As Alpine Walker says that is convenient for trips up the valley to the glacier, or down to the valley to other resorts such as Zell am Ziller or (my recommendation) the newly linked areas of Kaltenbach and Hochfugen. (Incidentally all the resorts in the Ziller Valley are covered on your Zillertal ski pass, which includes free transportation on the skibusses or the narrow gauge Zillertal railway). There is a ski bus stop very near the hotel for travelling to the Penken lift in the centre of Mayrhofen, otherwise its about a 10 minute walk.

The Garni Obermair only does B & B - a very good buffet breakfast (juices, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, cold meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, different breads and jams)and the rooms are ensuite. It also has a swimming pool, sauna and steam room. It is in the Crystal, Thomson and First Choice brochures, or if going independantly contact details are here
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Brucke (bridge) is my fave. A short walk to either Penken or Ahorn (dedicated beginners mountain).

Has a nice bar in the hotel and popular apre-ski schirmbar outside, real Austrian oi oi oi-ng
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for suggestions, will review the options on the B&B Obermair looks likely, we just wanted a change from the Austrian 5 course hotel meal and a variety of resturants to try for variety. Have been to Mayrhofen once before with meals included and appreciate that bus services work well to get round the lifts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
janette, You may find my recommendations on restaurants in Mayrhofen in this thread useful
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair, thanks for restuarant comments, will check them out and visit the tyroler stube again after a really good meal there last visit as a break from the hotel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy