Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

that stupid magazine / thigh burn

Poster: A snowHead
DM ski & board P.16 letters - 'my thighs get really tired in heavy off piste - is there a particular exercise or technique to combat this?'
Answer : (from Warren Smith) ....sounds like you're flexing too much at the knees instead of your ankles. This pushes your weight back over your heels and your thighs have to help you stand.....'

P.28/29 'Are you ready?' ... contains exercises to work your thigh muscles
Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, I think he has a point...try, whilst standing, bending your knees (not ankles), and see how long it takes to hurt ! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, it's an old one but a good one. Static squats against a wall calves parallel and thighs perpendicular to the wall.

Also dynamic but slow squats using a @swiss@ ball between your back and the wall.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't make it clear - WS indicates that you shouldn't need to do such exercises because your thighs only burn if you're skiing wrong. C'est vrai ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would agree that sitting back is more likely to lead to thigh burn, but I don't think it is the only cause. If you are adopting the "toilet position" you are using your muscles to say upright more than you do when you stand directly above your skis (when your skeleton is better able to support your weight). Having said that, even with a perfect stance you are still using your thigh muscles a lot because skiing is a dynamic activity, and therefore any muscles which get heavy use when they are not prepared for it will ache.

Moral of the tale? Better stance AND a bit of pre-skiing conditioning will help to reduce thigh burn.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A nice sit down in a cafe helps as well wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004, all of the above! I only suffer with thigh-burn infrequently and if I start to feel anything, concentrating on not sitting back so doing ankle flexion with as little knee flexion as I can get away with does help. The feeling I like to aim for is that I'm relaxing into the front of my boots, so that my weight is being carried by the shin of my boot, as in if it wasn't there, I'd collapse like a rag doll. It can result in a weight too far forward stance but seeing as I had?have a tendency to sit back it balances out for me. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be fair, I think you'd find if you wrote in about a problem with your washing machine Warren would tell you you're not flexing your ankles enough Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Consider also, the stiffness of your ski boots. If you can't flex the boot but intend to do so, you can't flex at the ankle, thus you sit down(toilet position?). Consider if you ski often, buying a second pair of boots for off-piste with a slightly easier flex. It will help you middle the ski and because it's less stiff, your tips will not dive under the snow. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise wrote:
To be fair, I think you'd find if you wrote in about a problem with your washing machine Warren would tell you you're not flexing your ankles enough Very Happy

I'll second that ise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:

I'll second that ise.

Shame on you Shocked From some of your past comments,I had started to believe that Warren could walk on water wink Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow wrote:
Shame on you Shocked From some of your past comments,I had started to believe that Warren could walk on water wink Laughing

He can, but only with flexed ankles wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004,
Quote:

I didn't make it clear - WS indicates that you shouldn't need to do such exercises because your thighs only burn if you're skiing wrong. C'est vrai ?

Oui, c'est vrai ! Shocked

It's the thing I have to work on most with anyone I teach wink , I also use it as feedback for me - burnt thighs, crushed calf mucsles, bruised toes - not a good day ! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kiss tips, rip lips! sic! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, I'd have to say it's the primary reason. When I'm "under instruction" and having my form corrected every other minute, I don't get pain in my thighs (sore ears, tho snowHead). But the minute my technique's a bit shite, the thigh burn starts.

A properly balanced body exerts very little effort through the thighs - much like standing around on normal well balanced legs doesn't "hurt" unless you're doing it for very prolonged periods of time.

But of it doesn't hurt to have strong thighs..... wink
snow report
ski, surely thigh burn can also depend on how much you are attackingthe slope you're on. Skiing normally, I don't get much thigh burn unless I am being lazy. However, I do find that if I'm skiing fast and I'm hunkering down into my turns then I can certainly feel it at the bottom (although, tahnkfully, not IN my bottom).
ski holidays
2 miles of deep powder burns the thighs, however good at skiing you are.
snow report
flicksta wrote:
2 miles of deep powder burns the thighs, however good at skiing you are.

2miles of powder makes my cheeks hurt, grin grin.! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
zammo, flicksta, I'd say (I think) that if you are getting thigh burn, at all, then it's not a good thing. If I'm lucky enough to ski
Quote:

2miles of powder

I'd expect everything to hurt, not just my thighs

....especially my
Quote:

2miles of powder makes my cheeks hurt, grin grin
snow conditions
zammo, yep. So I'll contradict myself by saying that if I'm toddling along at a comfortable rate with good technique then I don't get thigh burn. But obviously keeping all else equal, but upping the rate and asking me to exert more pressure then of course I'm going to get puffed quicker and feel the burn, but it'll be a "nice" burn (not a "my legs feel sore" burn).
snow report
zammo,
Quote:

I'm hunkering down into my turns

?
ski holidays
Do you think Hermann Maier's thighs burn at the end of a downhill? He has ultimate technique, incredible strength, the fitness of an international athlete?
snow report
Oh yeah, he burns. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Exactly. It's not all about technique, because his is superb, as is his strength and fitness.
snow report
ski, hmm.

Hunker (v) to really make the ski work and carve through the turn by exerting effort rather than letting the ski glide. The word implies an attempt by the hunkerer (n) to achieve greater speed and a lower centre of gravity.

Does that make any sense?

Basically, I find that the more agressive I am in my skiing, the less upright I am. I would stress that I am am a recreational skier of an acceptable but far from excellent standard and this should be taken int account when considering my 'interpretation' of technique.
snow report
flicksta, ? Mr Mair will be using a tuck position during a downhill. Of course his thighs will burn...........
snow conditions
How Iveca Kostelic? No tuck in slalom.
latest report
zammo, You may find that all that hunkering down isn't doing very much ! It will help you to balance (lower c of g), but other than that all it tends to do is to push you toward the back of the ski - cetainly one of the things I like to think about, skiing off-piste, is to stand up... mostly to a) keep (sort of) in the middle of the ski, and b) to absorb any bumps and undulations coming my way.

flicksta, No, no I don't think so. He'll be exhausted, his thighs will burn, along with everything else ! But he won't be feeling thigh burn in the context of this thread.

If you take your example of Hermann Mair.. a tuck will put tremendous strain on your thighs, because they're holding you up. It's quite fun to see how long you can last - and see how long a 2 minute downhill really is. If you stand centrally on your skis, or at least ensure your return to a central position at the end of each turn, you thighs won't burn.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski,

I skied a 200m stretch of steep couloir aobut 6 weeks ago. I think it was the best technical skiing I have ever done and my whole legs were hurting.
latest report
flicksta, Where - South America ?
snow conditions
Las Lenas
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy