Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski gear in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Canada in March (Banff, Kimberley, Panorama, Fernie). My 10 year old jacket etc is looking rather sorry for itself and is sadly lacking in any waterproofing properties whatsoever. Anyone got any ideas what prices will be like in Canada? Buy here beforehand or wait until we get to Canada? Can't find any online shops (in Banff etc) to get an idea of prices.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pat51, there's likely to be some sales on then, get gear in Canada, prices are much better in Banff than UK. We bought new boots and jackets while we were there. Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could of course look at it that at that time of year you will be getting discount on 2006 gear..... whereas at the moment there are still deals to be had on 2005 gear here in the UK.... I like burton and bonfire stuff and I have found a good half dozen places for getting jackets at good discount (and often under £100). I myself have ordered a burton 2/1 jacket for the princely sum of £80. I looked last year and it wasnt easy to find anything under $200 (branded goods), this year that will seem even worse because the exchange rate has gone 10% the wrong way.

http://www.sickandwrong.co.uk/shoponline/cat/snowboard+clearance/Jackets+And+Pants/
http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/acatalog/Edge_2_Edge_Online-CLOTHING-JACKETS.html
http://www.slidesnowboardstore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=354
http://www.extremesports.ltd.uk/snowboard/snowboard-clothing.htm

The best deal is actually on ebay, burton radar 2L womens jacket..... id have bought one myself but I wasnt sure how pinky the color was.... I dont really want to look too girly, not least since i think there is a gay ski festival not to far away from our planned trip this year!

Adam
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pat51, If you get to a big town such as Calgary the mountain equipment co-operative stores offer the best prices almost 40% cheaper than in resorts or ski towns like Banff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mec is great, and with the exchange rate you can get a good price. discounted arc'teryx is your best bet, it's brilliant stuff and canadian.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can you actually get the same stuff in MEC as you do in resort? I have been in a couple of times and could only find own branded stuff. I thought it was great for layers, I actually found discounted branded goods to be cheaper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone. Will proably try and find something when we get there. Might have at look at MEC tho not too sure how the other half will feel about going shopping after the flight and en route to the snow
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting. Sunice is back in snowsport: http://www.sunice.com/snow/ They used to have a factory store eastern end of Calgary.

Anyhow, for an online sample of available prices, check www.sportmart.ca
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pat51 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Will proably try and find something when we get there. Might have at look at MEC tho not too sure how the other half will feel about going shopping after the flight and en route to the snow

If you are transferring the same day as you arrive in calgary, getting into MEC probably takes a bit too long for you to manage. The flight arrivals and transfer departure times (assuming of course you arent driving) are really very close.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pat51,

Welcome to snowheads!

In March you should be able to find some good end-of-season deals.

I picked up a Helly Hansen jacket for the equivalent of £75 in Banff a couple of years ago, and a pair of Marmot ski pants pretty cheaply also.

I also regularly buy trekking shoes in Canada rather than in the UK. Although you stand a better chance of getting a rock-bottom price in Calgary, it's a bit of a hassle doing this on your way to or from the airport. If you find you don't want to take a day off from skiing (and you've gone all that way to SKI, not to shop) the stores in Banff also price pretty competitively, and I've never been disappointed with the value I've received. I'd recommend Banff over any of the other towns you're visiting: they just don't have a sufficient range of stores to ensure competition. - Visit Monod's, Ultimate, Abominable and The Glacier Shop (but there are plenty of others).

The $CAD/sterling exchange rate isn't quite as favourable as it has been in the past, but it's still pretty good, and don't forget that you can claim back your sales tax from Canadian Customs when you leave. (This is a lot easier than it used to be: they have a desk at Calgary airport. You need to present your receipts, and they credit your credit card account directly. - Under NO circumstances use the services provided by tax reclaim companies that leave their brochures prominently displayed in all the hotels and shops: the commission they take wipes out most of the benefit)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Acacia wrote:
pat51,
The $CAD/sterling exchange rate isn't quite as favourable as it has been in the past, but it's still pretty good, and don't forget that you can claim back your sales tax from Canadian Customs when you leave. (This is a lot easier than it used to be: they have a desk at Calgary airport. You need to present your receipts, and they credit your credit card account directly. - Under NO circumstances use the services provided by tax reclaim companies that leave their brochures prominently displayed in all the hotels and shops: the commission they take wipes out most of the benefit)

I did this claim back in January of this year and it didnt work that way. It has on previous instances, but not this year. They still need to see and stanp receipts, but they then insisted that they had to be mailed in and money credited at some point later. This makes a degree of sense because they are then making sure that the goods you are claiming back for genuinely have left the country. So unless things have changed since Jan, it is somewhat more of a hassle. But definitely agree about the alternative services.... though with the added hassle, we toyed with the idea of using them simply because it got us the money faster
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good to have some stores to head for. As you say, the whole point is to ski so hope I can be reclothed without wasting too much valuable time. Also thanks for the info about the sales tax as I don't spose we would have known about it otherwise. Can't help feeling we have bitten off more than we can chew as far as the resorts are concerned but that's another story. Nothing for it ... will just have to nip across to Europe in Jan for some powder practice.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy