Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last minute bookings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whilst I've been listening to you guys about last minute bookings - go where the snow is etc - I've just discovered that Inghams haven't availability to Innsbruck from either Exeter or Bristol for 7/1/06 Sad I see crystal still have options from Bristol. So, how late can you leave it ? And another thing, last week a return fare to Newark (from Bristol) on the 2/11/05 for a week was £556.00, today it's £1129.00 !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a quick look on Expedia - there are flights to Innsbruck from Heathrow and Gatwick for that week. Depending on where you were heading you could try Salzburg or Munich as destinations.

Bristol and Exeter are both pretty small airports, as is Innsbruck - so I'd guess that would be why that week has booked up so early.

Usually caveats apply on this one, I've never done this sort of thing - but am interested in the result of the question.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, the clue is- its from small regional airports.

There will always be ability from the London airports, smaller, regional airports however , have far fewer flights, and still a high number of people wanting to go on them, hence they sell out.

You can leave it til the day before if you are willing to travel up to larger airports. If its a certain date and a certain flight, it pays to book early
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004,
As above , There are different reasons for wanting to book last minute.

1)If you are travelling independantly and want to get the best snow it usually pays to book your flight early if flying as prices rise and availability falls, this is the way I usually do it. The overall price usually works out a little cheaper than a package depending on your transfer costs.

2) If you are aiming to get the cheapest prices package holidays usaully sell off cheaper closer to departure often a week or less is best. The problem is you will often have to trael to a bigger airport and you may be restricted in your choice of resort particularly in busier periods of the season. For large groups and for peak season it is also often difficult to find good deals and booking early can help.
The dates you are quoting there is very likely to be substantial reductions particularly on chalet holidays but you may not find a flight from your local airport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So for that date, I could wait till December to book and still find availability in say Lech or 3V ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson, The flights from LHR aren't direct.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends why you want to book last minute. It works for us because we can go at a moments - within reason- notice and you have to pay the going rate so it may work in your favour or not, but we may be chasing a weather system so we have to grin and bear the cost. You can get caught horribly wrong here, as I did trying to get back from Paris via Eurostar and it cost me £178.00, single...!!

We usually travel by car to multiple resorts and thats why we leave things last minute. If you have to rely on planes and connections etc, then you are somewhat compromised. Typically the best last minute deal you can get is with a TO who is discounting, but that means 7 day holiday, etc. Our last minute jaunts are load the car and head for a valley and find accomodation and the biggest attraction here is good snow, not the price IMV.

If you want the best indie price, then scope the hotels, check the flight prices and book when the price is acceptable. That isn't likley to be last minute but it can work that way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, 3V is not a problem usually, mass destination resort plenty of low season discounts. Lech is not a popular package resort you are unlikely to find discounts and may not find package availability. DIY should be straightforward but the flight component of the cost may rise the later you book.

You could book a flight to Zurich /Innsbruck now and reliably find accomodation nearer the time. If in the unlikely event that there is no decent snow in Central/Eastern swiss or western Austria but good snow in France you could sacrifice the fare and get a last minute booking to France.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Limiting the search to Inghams does not help either.

Crystal are already discounting from certain destination airports (e.g. Grenoble £250 per person off )

Or, as mentioned, get a BA flight from Gatwick to Innsbruck and book accommdation later.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers, but main concern isn't cost - it's being able to get to a resort, with good snow, fairly quickly. We live in Devon. Gatwick is a 5 hr drive, Exeter is 45mins, Bristol 2.5hrs, LHR 3.5hrs. I should have booked Exeter earlier, but I thought 7/1 would be a quiet week. As it turns out, there are rooms available, but no local flights.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, under those circumstances I think that booking your flights well in advance would be a sensible plan. If you are travelling at a quiet time of the season (pre-Christmas, early and mid-January) you could leave you choice of accommodation until close to travel to (a) go where the snow is, or (b) pick up a bargain if there are any to be had.

It seems to me that unless you don't care where you go or how you get there, there is little to be gained from booking at the last imnute, particularly for flights.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, I am like you living in Devon . but as yet have never flown from Exeter .(30 mins away ) and as been said a package deal would have to be booked early to get flight from there.and the flight only prices are quite expensive and go to a limited number of airports ,Bristol has a lot more options with easy jet , flying to geneva myself 7th jan.
I think though erica living in a great place like Devon has more benefits than being in a major city and closer to airports .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pistenbully, Exeter is great airport - so easy, and the inclusive package deals from tour operators can work out cheaper than 'doing it yourself'. The 9.05 Innsbruck flight is run by Austrian Airlines - a really great service - a short flight and 1-2hr transfer to Obergurgl, Ischgll, St.Anton, Lech etc. Innsbruck does get hideously busy on a Sat. though.
Flybe are doing flights to Chambery and Geneva, from Exeter. They are evening flights though and more expensive than Easy Jet.
And you're right - we in Devon don't need summer holidays!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just look out the window now .Fantastic sunshine Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy